Introducing the Layonara Object Editing System

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
orth's picture
Layonara AdministratorGamemasterKatianWriting Team Member
Introducing the Layonara Object Editing System

A few of you have seen these, but in the next update this system will be available for players to buy the quill and parchments at the General Vendors. Parchments come in varying "Maximum Length"s and prices. So I thought I'd give everyone a little sneak peek and perhaps a chance for them to ask questions or study how to use the system. Yes we're quite aware of many of the possibilities this opens up, but feel free to discuss yours. :) GMs can also rename placeables and items (with a few restrictions). Pankoki has made some rather splendid screen shots to demonstrate some of the functionality. Titling Your Parchment Adding a Header New Line and Some Text Quick Command For Date and Location Horizontal Rule of The Letter "o" Another Header Undo and Delete Your Name and Date The commands I've listed below are also on the Quill's description in game. Notes:

[*]Use the quill upon the object you will be editting. Syntax for the commands follow.

[*]Placing editted items on your ox pack will wipe your changes.

[*]You only need to use the quill once, it works the same as the language ears, requiring a voice.

[*]You can use the ~ on any channel.

[*]You can not ever repeat the same command, the system will not "hear" a repeated command.

[*]Please read the Notes for various commands. Commands: Command: ~~title Description: Changes the object's name. Usage: ~~title Plenarius' Diary Note: In order to see changes to the name of an object you must refresh your inventory. Either close and open it or flip between tabs in your inventory. Command: ~ Description: Write upon the object's description. Usage: ~So I was walking down the street the other day when a dragon fell from the sky. Note: If you want a space before your word, then put one between the ~ and the first letter (i.e. ~ A new sentence) Command: ~! Description: Begins a new paragraph with the text following. Usage: ~!The next morning dawned and things seemed a little better. Note: Essentially inserts two new lines and five spaces before your text. Command: ~~nl Description: Creates a new line. Usage: ~~nl or ~~nll or ~~nlll or ~~nllll or ~~nlllll Note: The amount of the letter "l" indicates how many new lines to insert, from one to five. Command: ~~tab Description: Inserts some spaces. Usage: ~~tab Command: ~~deleteNNN Description: Deletes the last NNN characters. Usage: ~~delete63 Note: If the amount of characters you try to delete exceeds the size of the text, you will erase it all. Command: ~~erase Description: Wipes the object's description completely. Usage: ~~erase Command: ~~undo Description: Restores your text to the previous state before your last command. Usage: ~~undo Note: This only works once! There is no history, you can not keep undoing. Command: ~~author Description: Inserts the character's name. Usage: ~~author Command: ~~location Description: Inserts the character's location. Usage: ~~location Command: ~~date Description: Inserts the date. Usage: ~~date Command: ~~datetime Description: Inserts the date and time. Usage: ~~datetime Command: ~~dateplace Description: Inserts the date and location on two separate lines. Usage: ~~dateplace Command: ~~datesig Description: Inserts the character's name then the date on two separate lines. Usage: ~~datesig Command: ~~~~ Description: Inserts a horizontal rule of tildes. Usage: ~~~~ Command: ~~-- Description: Inserts a horizontal rule of dashes. Usage: ~~-- Command: ~~oo Description: Inserts a horizontal rule of the letter "o". Usage: ~~oo Command: ~~header Description: Inserts your text centered amongst two dashed horizontal rules. Usage: ~~header Day One of My Journey Command: ~~headerfancy Description: Inserts your text centered amongst two horizontal rules of the letter "o". Usage: ~~headerfancy Recipe for Hampshire Haggis Command: ~~headerdeco Description: Inserts your text centered amongst two horizontal rules formed from tildes. Usage: ~~headerdeco Chapter 17 Command: ~~speak Description: Reads the description out loud. Usage: ~~speak Command: ~~whisper Description: Whispers the description out loud. Usage: ~~whisper Have fun!

Toranite

I will never have spare money...never ever...

Diabolical

:D

GamemasterWriting Team Member

This is such a fantastic addition to the world! :)

Thak's picture

*grins wide* Now fill the library and all those empty Bookcases!

Ah *sighs relaxing* Homegrown tastes the best. ;)

Stephen_Zuckerman's picture
Aeridinite

Two words.

The librarian.

RofireiniteXeenite

This is the best NWN world ever.

*just.. applauds*

You guys are awesome.

Toranite

This is definately a great addition... Fantastic job!

EventHorizon's picture
Lucindite

Quote:
Rayenoir - 12/20/2005 6:41 PM

This is the best NWN world ever.

*just.. applauds*

You guys are awesome.

miltonyorkcastle's picture
GamemasterWriting Team Member

um, wow.... *starts furiously scribbling out some new ideas to incorporate this tool*

Gilrod's picture
Lucindite

With additions like this, who wants NWN2! **snickers**

Great job guys!

DruidFolianite

This is an incredibly awesome addition folks. It truly is.

You all will love it. :)

DruidPrunillianVoraxian

Do these scrolls reset when placed into storage? I see that oxen are noted. How about persistent chests? Others?

DruidPrunillianVoraxian

How about a mechanism for copying scrolls? Then someone could run an in-game newspaper. How great would that be?

orth's picture

Quote:
Pen N Popper - 12/20/2005 3:36 PM

Do these scrolls reset when placed into storage? I see that oxen are noted. How about persistent chests? Others?

No they will not reset in persistent (housing/bank) crates/chests, only on the ox.

orth's picture

Quote:
Pen N Popper - 12/20/2005 3:37 PM

How about a mechanism for copying scrolls? Then someone could run an in-game newspaper. How great would that be?

We have plans for duplication, book binding and publishing in the works.

jjkolb's picture
Toranite

Quote:
orth - 12/20/2005 3:43 PM
Quote:
Pen N Popper - 12/20/2005 3:37 PM How about a mechanism for copying scrolls? Then someone could run an in-game newspaper. How great would that be?

Sounds like a new NPC, Johannes Gutenberg.  I wonder what quest he would send me on.

s0ulz's picture
CorathiteRofireiniteVoraxian

This is absolutely amazing! This adds a whole new layer of depth to Layonara!!

*thumbs up*

Great work guys!

Talan Va'lash's picture
Aeridinite

This thing is seriously so fun to play with :) *is looking forward to the update*

-TV

FolianiteIlsarian

*jaw drops*

Amazing!! i can't wait until the next update!

freemen2's picture
Berylite

This is so COOL!!! you all, are the best ;)

lonnarin's picture
GamemasterXeenitePrunillianDruidDoranditeToranite

YES!!! Stay Tuned for "Eat The Poor: Bjornigar Ironguts' 4-year Plan for Economic Glory" and "Against Empire: The Case for Regicide" by Rakish Feiwallen!

Filatus's picture
LucinditeMistiteToranite

Woohoo!

Zen
AeridiniteVoraxian

Quote:
orth - 12/20/2005 2:43 PM

Quote:
Pen N Popper - 12/20/2005 3:37 PM

This a scribe cnr?

Az'attanMistite

0.0 wow that is so cool!  That could be intergrated into so many cool things, like quests....if your character dies it could be a will! Very interesting >.>

Shadowblade225's picture
AeridiniteKithairieniteToranite

Quote:
Leanthar - 12/20/2005 2:34 PM This is such a fantastic addition to the world! :)

Sure is!

Angels Guild MemberIlsarian

I was one of the first to try this out. Been playing with it for a while. Believe me when I say it is an awesome addition to the game. The RP possibility this opens up is great. Now...you can pay someone to deliver a note...in game...to someone rather than use Tells like..."a bird lands at your feet with a message." Can anyone say LayoEx? LOL.

Now....the RP is that it will take some time before there is a response. Instead of an almost instanatneous response to the tells. Pretty cool if you ask me...

Ar7
CorathiteRofireinite

Great addition!

I would like to use this as a chance to say thank you to whoever gave me the Quill a couple of weeks ago. Never catched the GM in question :)

Fantastic. Really exceeds my expectations.

But...

A year from now will we be taking up collections for litter collection?

(Just kidding)

You guys have really set a high bar for NWN2!

Corathite

Orth,

You mentioned that the blank scrolls will be limited in their capacities, what is this limit and will blank scrolls come in varying lengths/ blank books?

orth's picture

For now the limits range from 250 (Stone Slab heh) to 5000 characters. Priced from 2gp to I think it was 35gp for the long one. We haven't exactly hashed out how we plan on implementing the whole book thing, we may sell blank books for a high price and/or allow for a book binding craft with leather and gum or something for a cheaper price.

I prepared myself to be amazed....it wasn't good enough...I still fell to the floor in awe...

Corathite

Orth,

With respect to all of the different parchments.  Does it include spaces as characters?

Talan Va'lash's picture
Aeridinite

Quote:
Cp_Winddancer - 1/1/2006 7:32 PM Orth,

With respect to all of the different parchments. Does it include spaces as characters?

Yes -TV Edit: A carriage return (every time you start a new line) is a character as well

ArageniteLucinditeRofireinite

Is it possible to write on something other than parchment? For example, Taislin would love to change the name of his Iron Warhammer to Braincrusher or something, possibly even adding a description. This is because I RPed that I would wait a little more after buying the hammer so that Skarp could copy my personal arcane rune from my parchment to the surface of the warhammer, and it would be pretty neat to let people examine the warhammer and see that.

Just an idea!

Weeblie's picture

It is possible, but only a DM can write on things that aren't parchments nor bags.

I think it is this way because of the numerous problems that might came up otherwise. Like renaming + changing the description of a "Fire Enchantment I" to "Fire enchantment IV" (both have almost the same "icon" so it will be nearly impossible to tell which one is which).

Layonara AdministratorDruidFolianiteGamemasterLucinditeWriting Team MemberXeenite

This is correct. Only GM's can rename or change the description of obrects. Part of the problem with general re-naming is that there's nothing keeping someone from giving the name of "Mithril Longsword" to a copper longsword, for example.

With descriptions on items, due to the chance for memory problems (and resulting server crashes), Descriptions on items are limited to the lenfth of the original description. So if your stock item had a description of 40 characters, that's all you could get for a new description.

For the foreseeable future, this will be a GM-only feature.

ArageniteCorathite

id be interested in knowing if you can do it for clothing..

Layonara AdministratorDruidFolianiteGamemasterLucinditeWriting Team MemberXeenite

The same issues and limitations apply to clothing. Really, the same issues and limitations apply to any inventory object regardless of type.

DruidPrunillianVoraxian

Can someone point me to the instructions for writing ingame parchments using a language ear?

Thanks!

ShiffDrgnhrt's picture
FolianiteToranite

Yeah, easy.

Translate it first, then retype it :D

Oh, but thats to much work... Oh well... ;)

orth's picture

Lots of info, including language help available by typing: ~~help

DruidPrunillianVoraxian

Excellent! I'm looking at it ingame now and it's perfect.

Thanks!

scifibarbie's picture
FolianiteRofireiniteVoraxian

This so rocks!!!:D

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or register to post comments