State of Layonara and its Future

228 posts / 0 new
Last post
Druid

Quote:
Character integrity and roleplaying will always be a major facet of Layonara. Not only do we have many experiences with this and we have learned from some mistakes, we now have complete control over source code to help encourage this atmosphere.

Another thing to keep in mind, just because you pay for something doesn't give you the undeniable right to do whatever you want, try running onto the baseball field at a game or having your very own campfire at a theme park.

I will love to see how you tackle this. I have had friends try to build the same type of worlds and turn them into a profit. The playing field changes when you have actual customers, who are paying for your products.

I have great faith in the staff, but this is one of the aspects of Layonara and NWN that I don't see being possible to bring over to a packaged product that is being paid for by the consumer. At least productively.

I am not being negative. I think you will create many things that are positive and amazing, but to do so, some things will be lost. It is the nature of the game.

LordCove's picture
DruidFolianite

Well....my 50 bob.... ( around half a dollar )

Am I gutted we're losing the NWN engine? Yes

Will I continue playing till the end? Yes

Will I be joining the new engine when its running? Hell Yes

Someone mentioned above that Layonara is the Community....not the actual game. Well....thats kinda on the mark for me. Been about a year or more now....and its the community and RP that brings me back....and will probably take me to this new engine.

Losing our characters? Yes....I'm gutted. Losing Sallaron, even though he's kinda close to Perming anyway. Made him as a test character when I first came here.....gave him terrible stats, no personality at all....and watched him kinda grow into...whatever he's become.

There are others of course....who have played a lot longer than me....with character's up there in the lvl 30's. I daresn't even imagine how they must feel.

But....we thought that was going to happen in V3 anyway....so....*shrugs*

I've donated plenty on this server....so it becoming a PtP thing isn't much of a deal.

So....I'll be jumping on the new engine, game, thing....when it comes out.

My only hope....is that we see the same community we have now move over to the new engine ,since....well....it's you folks I log in to see anyway :)

Shadonite

I am sad that this is happening and for now only one question from me.

I'm from Brazil, I can't afford most new games because the taxes here are absurd and our currency, our coin, is worth nothing compared to yours [Even though your president screwed up waging wars and now we can buy USD way cheaper] The only online game I play is NWN, and that's because it was a present, expensive one back then... Surely paying a monthly fee in yankee dollars will be the end of me, that's why I never donated.

I don't own a credit card or anything. How the hell am I supposed to migrate to new Layonara?

I -think- I will wish to give new Layonara a try, still digesting the news that every goblin Lino killed, every time I broke my brain to type an accent in another language for RP sake, all friends, all the times I cursed my bosses to hell cause I was missing a quest or a hunt will become nothing. But how to deal with this gnarly situation?

orth's picture
Layonara AdministratorGamemasterKatianWriting Team Member

I understand there are many concerns about payment options and formats, but once again I stress we've considered this issue greatly. Providing varying options and methods is something we have and will continue to work hard at.

Please try to avoid coming to conclusions on pricing and methods until we let you know what is planned.

Nyralotep's picture
BeryliteMistite

In regards to Layo in it's current state....with WLDQ applications going away at some point will there be a relaxation in the 3 mil xp it takes to get from 20 to 21?

cbnicholson's picture
Angels Guild MemberRofireinite

"My only hope....is that we see the same community we have now move over to the new engine ,since....well....it's you folks I log in to see anyway"

Spot on. :)

Thanks from:
vgn
vgn's picture

Just a few comments from the shadows:

First, I'm happy to see this announcement and know that the team would not have made this announcement at this time if they weren't moving from the planning and proof of concept to the actual building phase of development. At the same time, I know many of you enjoy playing games but do not have experience with game and/or software development. In my estimation, NWN layonara has at least another good year to it, if not longer. It just takes a while to build something even when all the planning and prototypes are done. This isn't any kind of official word from layonara, but merely my experience in the world of software development.

So my first comment is: "Enjoy the world you have now, it is not dying any time soon."

Second, I hear a lot of woe and worry in this thread about paying money to play in the world of layonara. Now I know we would all rather get something for free than to pay for it, but if a rich interactive gaming environment is created, it only stands to reason those creating it will want to at a minimum make back their investments and in reality they would like to make a profit as that would allow them to continue to devote to the creation and improvement of the world and not some day-job. I have a hard time believing there is a very large group of players here that only plays here because it's "free" and not because it is a fabulous world with a rich history. Many already donate and many who could donate simply do not for whatever reasons. I know some of you have voiced numerous times in the past that you cannot afford to pay/donate and that is understandable, there will always be some. I do know though that a large number of people both on and off this server pay to play at other games like WoW and others which tells me there are a lot of people out there that can pay to play a game.

So my second comment is: "For the large majority paying to play on Layonara is not going to create a hardship and instead it will result in a much richer world as well as a better gaming experience as those who spend time and money to create all that is here will be compensated."

Congratulations to Layonara Studios for the work so far and I know I along with many others want to see what has been produced when it is ready.

Thanks from:
LFFF's picture

wow... I have many feelings on this both good and bad, and most of them have already been expressed with all the posts before this, so I wont waste too much of your time.

Firstly, its about time we move on from NWN. I'm definately glad to hear this, the game is old and Layonara needs to evolve if it is going to keep on going. It is definately something I'm looking forward to seeing and I hope when the beta comes I will atleast be in it, hehe. Keep up the good work, it appears alot of effort has been put into this.

Just like almost everyone else I have Pay-to-Play concerns, both with the legal issues with trying to control "leet-speakers", powergamers, metagamers, ect. that I know you are aware of so I won't go into detail on that, but also for myself. One of the reasons I play on layo was because its free, I cared for the server so much that I donated, alot, but still, that is why I play, so I don't have to pay if I'm unable for any reason. The reason is small enough where I might pay to play, but that also depends on end product. As I said, I donated alot of money for this, infact in one lump sum I payed enough for an MMO to last me over 7 years. So having to cough up more money doesn't sound exactly all that appealing to me.

I'm glad Interia brought up her concerns, mine were the same, but in a new characters point of view. With Lia, I would simply attempt to make her a legend, and give her off to the DM's to use as an NPC, I would be happy. With Siliqui, I put alot into her creation, everything I learned from playing Lia helped me make a detailed story for her as well as plan ideas for her future on Layonara, and it would pain me to never be able to see any of that through. From what I took in your replies though, it seems that this will be similar to when we transfered from beta 3 to beta 4. Complete character wipe, everyone starts from level one, but you can still keep your same characters, their names, story and personalities. That I would not mind at all.

I do have a question concerning that though, which involves one of your rules. You say players will have a chance to make their mark in the world before the transition. Unfortunately based on server rules one has to be a certain level to make a WLDQ and CDQ. Personally I would like Sil to do the CDQ I intended her to do at level 10 before we go to the new game, but at the rate I'm leveling and possibly when the NWN Layonara will cease, I don't think I will make lvl 10 on time... Will there be some leeway on level restrictions for CDQ's and WLDQ's before this takes place?

Thanks from:
Interia_Discordius's picture
CorathiteIlsarian

Agreed with LFFF... I would like to leave a mark on Layonara, but I have no idea where to begin doing so. Kinai was meant to go down the WLCDQ path to make a mark through her faith towards Shadon, but I'm five months of twelve needed...How is a chance to make a mark going to be done?

Rofireinite

I think it would be very strange to allow characters that became important in some way (aka made their mark) to continue in the new Layonara by "restarting" as the equivalent of level 1 characters. Imagine Plenarius walking around as a low-level sort, with his wings, claiming to be Her Eyes. Imagine Rhizome being all lowly and powerless, claiming to be the Heirophant. Who would believe Triba had done anything she did when she is a "nobody" like everyone else? It doesn't have to be limited to legendary characters, though. How many characters can claim to have fought in the war against Bloodstone, or killed demons in the Abyss, or gained a mastery of magic or weapons? Those may be minor in the scope of the world, but they aren't minor for the individual; those are big claims for a little character.

So, overall, I'm suggesting that the more influential the character (the bigger mark they make), the less likely they should be "reborn" in Layonara's next incarnation. And I'm suggesting that those characters who would or could be allowed to restart should completely restart. It shouldn't just be a mechanical thing, but the character should have no memories and shouldn't be an influential person in the history of the world. Relatives with their own very similar story, sure, but no soap opera amnesiacs, please. Influential characters should be left to the history of the world, and not cause oddities by being "reborn" with knowledge and accomplishments beyond their abilities.

Thanks from:
orth's picture

It is necessary to have a CDQ or WLDQ to make your mark on this world?

Layonara AdministratorDruidFolianiteGamemasterLucinditeWriting Team MemberXeenite

I can't really comment on when we'll no longer be taking CDQ or WLDQ requests, but I do want to point out something very important.

Most, if not all of the current WLs made their mark before becoming a WL (or Epic, in the old system). Some continued to make their marks after attaining this status, and what made them Epic/WL is generally over-shadowed by all the other things they have done.

So make your mark. Don't think you need those letters for your contributions to be noticed.

orth's picture

Gulnyr wrote:
I think it would be very strange to allow characters that became important in some way (aka made their mark) to continue in the new Layonara by "restarting" as the equivalent of level 1 characters.....

Yes, this is just one of the complications...

LFFF's picture

a few comments on all these:

Firstly with Gulnyr, I agree with you, and personally, I would have turned my high end character to become an NPC if we ever had to start from level one. It just makes sence if you wish your character to remain important. But, I also think in the end this should be the players choice not the DM's, its their characters they're playing afterall. Its not hard to add on to your story explaining how and why your character is alot weaker... Ozy did it with his character, saying the gods stripped him of his power when he came to the world. I'm also speaking for those who have new characters who have much developement to do, and many dreams to accomplish. I think it would be sad to be forced to make a new character before really accomplishing anything with your current character.

Orth, absolutely not, but it helps add spice. What makes DM intervention so great is now the story is not under the players complete control, your characters life story now becomes filled with questions and suprises, and that makes it far more exciting then knowing what comes next. There is a very important question that is lingering within my character that needs to be answered before she really makes any true progress, I want the answer and events surrounding it to suprise me. If I simply RP it out, it will be anything I want it to be, but whats the fun in that.

Plus there are certain things that need DM intervention... what if someone wants to be a black wizard, or be a member of the mistone alliance. A player can't just say their characters are now part of such organizations through trying to RP their characters joining.

Finally Dorganath, also agree with you, even though Lia died before she will ever become a world leader, I very much doubt anyone that met her will forget her, and hopefully her story will go on (of course I need to help with that, eheh *gulp*, the story is comming... eventually).

DruidMistiteVoraxian

erhhm didnt read all but...

Sure it is hard to leave your main character behind but thats just they way it might be.
Think of it as a new beginning and not only the end.

Heck I played here what...2,5 to 3 years and worked on Bloody Gate for around 2 years? And I will be happy to leave Varka-twin-liver-Cleaveson Warlord of the United Clans of Bloody Gate behind me.

I dont know what will happen concerning time the teams decision about Bloody Gate and so on. I will just have to sit back and wait

See the positive in it :) A new beginning!

Chrys Ellis's picture

Many of those reading this will not recognize me, because I haven't played here in some time, but that is only because of my current RL situation. I have played off and on in the Layonara world for years, mostly with one character. There is a good possibility that I won't get a chance to play this character again in any significant way before the NWN Layonara goes away. Sure, part of me wishes that Xiao could always be there for me when I'm ready to play him again, but I understand that change is inevitable. The question is, how soon does that change have to take place?

Well, it's already been said that it will come down to funding. If you'd like to see the current version of Layonara continue on as long as possible, funds will need to be raised to serve that purpose. Leanthar and many others have repeatedly asked for donations to keep the servers running, but the level of contributions overall has generally fallen short. Perhaps some of you have not been in a position to donate money, and so you felt like there was nothing you could personally do to pitch in. That situation has now changed.

I think events such as 'donate your level' day are great ideas, but for those that don't feel they can afford even that much, there is another way to help this world you have grown to love.

For full details, click here and read the full thread. For those who simply want to help, read below to see how easy it is:

1. Click here to sign up as a Free Retailer. Not only will you be helping Layonara, but you'll now be able to buy and sell music (and soon other digital content) legally from your own store.
  2. Once signed up, tell your friends to sign up as Free Retailers through your new site.
  3. Everyone who signs up will earn one entry into a contest to win free legal downloads. For every person that then signs up through you, you will earn an additional entry into the contest.
  4. The official end date of the contest now stands at August 31st, but that may be extended to accomodate for delays regarding expansion into other countries. The end date will definitely not be later than Dec. 31st, 2007.
That's it! Simply sign up and ask your friends to do the same. You'll be helping Layonara and can help yourself in the process. What could be better than that?

Any questions related to the company or the contest may be directed to me at

Wow, been a while. Most of you would remember me as Berdin Stonebrow, or Bidwick Mandershanks perhaps, my forum name was Vyris(PoL) and I was a player here for quite a few years, a quest GM for a while, and one of the least productive members of the content team ever I imagine :) But... since I can't remember the password for that login, and can't get the website to e-mail it to me here I am as Navy_Welder. As I said, I don't play anymore, but I still have friends who do, and I pop into the forums now and again to keep current.

Anyway, there are several reasons to be hopeful about the upcoming project.

1) A new game engine, one made FOR Layonara..

Amongst other things, one of the things that led to me playing less and less on Layonara was the increasing age of the engine. despite the hard work and talent of people like Orth and Dorganath (and many more) it was sometimes cumbersome to DO things you wanted to do, and in my case RP the way I thought I should in many situations. Leanthar and crew have done a fantastic job dragging the dead horse NwN engine through 3 versions and battling it every step of the way to get it to do things it was never intended to do at all, let alone reliably with so many people playing on the same server at the same time. A new game engine... fantastically less cumbersome I am sure.

Another thing about the new game engine. Feats, skills, powers, spells and classes that are balanced at creation, instead of the 'tweaked' ones we've had to deal with for so long. How many times did the spell "Black Blade of Disaster" go back to the drawing board before it wasn't such an abusable spell? Orth, any chance Bidwick can get that "Weapon focus - Mercurial Longsword" feat switched to something else *grin* I'd take "Skill focus - Basket Weaving" at this point :) Point being, I bet with a new engine we wont have to have a list of feats that don't work as intended (Has WotWC copyrighted the word 'Feat' too I wonder?).

2) No d20

While I think it is completely ludicrous that you can copyright/patent a mode of generating random numbers the D20 method sucks, it's very limiting by it's nature and tends to lend the belief in those that use it that someone is cheating them .oO(remembering all those times he rolled 1's multiple times crafting). A system based on a percentile (d100) would be much more flexible I think, not that I have the slightest clue what the plan is for the new game.

3) A NEW world! (?)

I haven't a clue if the continental make-up of Layonara is going to change or not... but I think it would be great to explore a whole new world with old friends. Some of my favorite moments on Layonara were exploring places with Gulnyr that neither of us had been before, we spent a week once on Dragon isles exploring everything there.

Before I adress anything that may sound remotely negative, let me first say "Hats off to Leanthar and Co. I'm sure it took a pair for 50lbs brass you know whats to take something you have nurtured for 5+ years and take that next step in it's growth, a lesser man/team would have been too timid and lamented as his dream dwindled."

Now, the harsh part ;)

Pay to play :P
I'll gladly pay to buy the game, as long as updates were part of the purchase I'd be willing to pay up to about $75 for it, because nowhere else have I ever found a finer RP experience.

That being said I absolutely refuse to purchase a game then rent the continued permission to play it on a monthly basis. It's a matter of principle.

Now, since I was raised to never voice criticism without offering a solution may I suggest the following (And yes, I know it's probably incredibly early for this to be being considered).

A one time charge to download and activate the game, whatever dollar amount that may be thats the only fee you HAVE to pay to play.

Charge money for quests, CDQ's, WLCDQ's or whatever you are calling them now. One thing that really hacked me off playing Layonara was seeing the SAME people on EVERY stinking quest... people that were involved in major events on the other side of the world could stretch physics and be right in the middle of something else that was going on elsewhere at roughly the same time. Say you're there for the RP all you want (and some of those people were/are GREAT RP'rs) but I still think it's in very poor form.

I would think if someone wants to join a quest series a $10 fee per episode isn't such a steep price, I think sheer economics would restrict the number of people who glom on to every quest.

A CDQ I think would be worth about $50 per 3 sessions. After all, you have a GM creating a unique adventure completely for you alone. More advanced CDQ's (WLCDQ's?) etc. would cost more of course.

World events I think should be less expensive, since they are a big draw, to encourage everyone to try to participate in major events, say $10 a month to join any world events you can.

Anyhow. I hope to see everyone when the new game comes out and I hope my thoughts here have been constructive and positive, peace and best wishes to everyone.

Vyris / Navy_Welder

SquareKnot's picture
Aragenite

Heya Vyris - Good to hear from you and I think your ideas about quests have some merit. If someone is getting something extra, they should pay for the labor that goes into that special attention.

But my question is about the new game mechanics. Will they be disclosed before the actual computer game program is released/enters beta? What I mean is, will there be enough information posted so that I can build characters on paper? Or better still, build two characters and have them duel on paper? I'd like to start planning and experimenting.

I think that having this information would create a lot of excitement and allay a lot of fears.

I'm not asking for this right away, just asking if it will be available (game release date - x months). Or ever?

Also, does this announcement, and the reaction to it, mean that the Handbook release is now later than before? Will that be coming out far in advance of Layo NextGen?

gilshem ironstone's picture
DoranditeGrannochianIlsarianToranite

I hope the new Layonara makes bloody millions. I will probably be there to enjoy what I think is a top notch fantasy world, and a fantastic hobby.

Thanks from:
set

*a hairy, battle scared dwarf sits up quickly and bumps his head on the bottom of the table that he passed out under from last nights fun, he falls back down and hits his head hard on the floor. lying there he thinks back on the last 2-3 years (he don't remember anymore) that he has battled on this world. he wonders how he will be able to slip the case of whiskey that he has hidden in voonies house to the new world. as he thinks about up coming battles in a new world he cradles his mithril battle hammer to his chest, all of a sudden he has a serious look of concentration on his face, a sweat breaks out on his forehead, veins appear on his neck and the sides of his temple from the massive effort of control he is using, finally with a gasp and a sigh he releases last night festivities in the form of a noxious gas from his fourth point of contact, smiling to himself at the loud curses and the sounds of gagging from the other patrons around him he knows now that he has found a home and looks forward to the future*

if there is anything that i can do to help let me know.

seteece

gravas

jason

Aeridinite

When will the rendering engine be revealed?

Druid

many have commented on making their marks on the world

hmm, lets all step back and see where we are to check

when you go somewhere on most of the isles and run into groups wandering about does some one know you?

have their been rumours spread that pertain to you that the entire world knows about?

can you walk down the street in town and more then once do people come up to talk to you about something and know you enough to call you by first name?

does your char name come into conversation when your on as your other char?

i think if you can say yes to any of these then you have made your mark,not by level,or power

but by who you have created them to be.

someone told me along time ago and it was brought up in my first visit to the gm area in casual talk" you can be known just as much for what you do when your level one, as you can when your level 30 with multiple titles"

a mark on the world may be simply that you were always there for people who needed you

or that you always left them just when you were needed most

levels and stats aside,just look at the char you desire to have made their mark in their future, and you may find you have already made that mark in their past

oh and drogo and tomas shall be returning very soon to hunt you poachers, and shoot people in the back of the head

hawklen's picture

Oh Fal, everyone knows hawk, and so do authorities :)

Thanks from:
OneST8's picture
Layonara AdministratorGamemaster

Quote:
But my question is about the new game mechanics. Will they be disclosed before the actual computer game program is released/enters beta? What I mean is, will there be enough information posted so that I can build characters on paper? Or better still, build two characters and have them duel on paper? I'd like to start planning and experimenting.

I think that having this information would create a lot of excitement and allay a lot of fears.

I'm not asking for this right away, just asking if it will be available (game release date - x months). Or ever?

Also, does this announcement, and the reaction to it, mean that the Handbook release is now later than before? Will that be coming out far in advance of Layo NextGen?

This information (to a degree) will be released at some point prior to the actual release. Most likely during the beta testing phase.

OneST8's picture
Layonara AdministratorGamemaster

Quote:
When will the rendering engine be revealed?

This information will be released at some point in future update postings. Most likely during the beta testing phase.

Aeridinite

Do we get to know when the beta will begin?

Layonara AdministratorDruidFolianiteGamemasterLucinditeWriting Team MemberXeenite

We'll announce the beta, but we don't know exactly when that will be yet.

Quote:
Do we get to know when the beta will begin?

*chuckles* I bet the answer to that, is this :

Quote:
This information will be released at some point in future update postings. Most likely during the beta testing phase.

Vyris / Navy_Welder

*d'oh! Dorganath beat me!*

Aeridinite

Navy_Welder wrote:
*chuckles* I bet the answer to that, is this :

Vyris / Navy_Welder

*d'oh! Dorganath beat me!*

You joke try hard fail to...

Zen
AeridiniteVoraxian

Frist Mahalo for the heads up!

I have been one that could not afford to donate till now. Having been here 2 to 3 years I thank those that have made my play possible.

I am looking forward to the new Layo but, not to seeing Garnet go bye-bye. Well he was fun.

I just hope the "Brothers of Battle" will survive.

I also wish to be a "beta" tester if possible.

LFFF's picture

*shrugs* for those who will not wish to see their characters go, I do have a small suggestion. It came to me last night while I was laying awake in my bed, don't exactly know why or how, I wasn't thinking of Layo.

I imagine the beta for the new game wont be official for in game story progress, they ussually tend to be used to test for bugs and make sure the game is ready to go public. What if there isn't exactly a character wipe after the beta though, then those with high end special characters who made a name for themselves could officially start at a level that makes sence for them in the new game.

Force_of_Will_'s picture
LucinditePrunillianToranite

I think even in Beta let the chips fall where they may.

If you aren't remembered then so be it.Start a new character and become famous.Just remember what doesn't work.Strive to become a person everyone knows and has Tales of heroic or Sinister deeds.

The new Layonara is going to be I guess hundreds or thousands of years in the future after the Campaign we are on.

All we can do now is play the game we have an keep an eye out for news and information on the new Engine.

Thanks from:
Dorandite

I have thought this over for a bit now. At first I was sad to see the brothers Stormbrow come to an end. I have never been so emotionally tied to a character before and it was hard to let go. I must admit I am not the best role player but I have grown as Kurgin has also. The good times Kurgin had in Layo will live on in my memories.

I am sure that my brother and I will continue with whatever this team produces. It gave us a chance to be together in an otherwise too busy world. I am continuously amazed at the dedication that the Layo team puts out. I know that it cannot be all roses and there must be many times that you wanted to pack it in but you keep on forging ahead.

My thanks for creating a place where we can dream and escape the REAL world. I will continue to support you in any way that I can.

~Brad

Niles09's picture

Well I might as well come with my opinion on this, I haven't read all the posts through, so sorry if I say something allready said.

Its quite understandable if Leanther's post i mest with quite some scepticism and frustration. Now, I haven't been the most active player, ecpicially not the last half year, but still I've been here for two years no, so I would say I've put some time into my characters. Its frustrating to see ones characters just dissapear into oblivion, it make those hundred of hours spend with them feel a bit wasted... putting your mark on the world? That would save all the work eh? The problem for me and I guess a good part of the players just is we haven't even got close to that. Instead we've spend hour after hour developing personalities and stories of characters that we've really come to like, chopped down monster after monster to get to the next level and now all of it is just going to be wiped away, all that hard work to reach lvl 20 or 40, to finish your characters tale now just feels pointless... heck, minimum goal the last year has just been to reach lvl 14 so I could use those cool boots I got back at the battle for Pranzis, so I could get my katana enchanted, so I could finally be able to scare people with my shadow summon and I'm not even there yet... But thwn I think back on the most memorable moments, its not the sound of finally gaining a new level, or when your character finally get some sort of status, or when you finally complete that CDQ that I remember. It all that happens until then.
... Yeah it nice when you finally reach next level, but what is really good is those 3-4 hours that have occured until then, from when you (you can call it powerleveling or whatever you want, doesn't matter to me) send a tell to some of them you usually adventure with, asking if they'll help you get the last 30-40k of xp and then to you gain the level. It's the RP on the run in those 3-4 hours that I remember, its going with a party to one dungeon, then meeting some new people and getting to know them in some other dungeon, its exploring up and down Mistone or Dregar with both well known and new people I remember, and when you reach that level somewhere around 3 or 4 AM nearly falling asleep, it's the "thanks for the help guys and that was really fun adventuring with you guys" that matters, not the "yay, Ive reached a new level." What I remember is those days when you log on and then spend the next two hours RP'ing with some new fascinating colourful character or try to keep Taislin in line ( ;) ) etc... point is, you don't need some specific character to do all that.
I'll miss playing the personality of that specific character, but thats how everything is, nothing lasts forever seriously you would have to be pretty naive to think that your character wouldn't end sometime. Save your journal or background maybe export the character, then make a new one and prepare for years of fun with that one. You could always make a descendant of your first character if you want to remember it.

There are other things that will be bad seen from a subjective perspective. Now, I have no idea what the team's goals and dreams are with the next Layo, but success will surely be proportional with the downfall of GM quests, good RP spirit and the ability to leave your mark on the word if you've ever gotten that far. The more players that joins, the harder it will be to make CDQ's for everyone and GM quests, more peoplme means more idiots who rather want to speak l77t (or whatever its called), powerlevel, camp - all those bad things, that people can do when they pay for the stuff hides in the masses of other characters. But from my view, all you need to do is sticking to the right people, then you can continue doing all the great things mentioned before... Remember if the team and Leanther haven't created Layonara we would all be doomed to Star Wars Galaxies, Final Fantasy Online (heh... just had to say it) wow etc... you should be grateful for that, be supportive and show it eh? Do your best to make the new game a good place.
In any case, if this goes really really well we might even have that LayoCon sometime ;)

Thanks from:
jrizz's picture
FolianiteToranite

Quote:
*shrugs* for those who will not wish to see their characters go, I do have a small suggestion. It came to me last night while I was laying awake in my bed, don't exactly know why or how, I wasn't thinking of Layo.

I imagine the beta for the new game wont be official for in game story progress, they usually tend to be used to test for bugs and make sure the game is ready to go public. What if there isn't exactly a character wipe after the beta though, then those with high end special characters who made a name for themselves could officially start at a level that makes sense for them in the new game.

In my opinion it would really be horrid to start a new game that we all are waiting for and have a bunch of already "leveled up" (whatever that means) PC in it. When it goes live it should go live from scratch for everyone.

We all want to help in beta testing and our motivation should be to have the best game we can have from the start. The PCs used for the beta testing should be cleared out at launch time, the launch should be open to everyone willing to pay to be there.

Thanks from:
LFFF's picture

It was just a suggestion and in the end all of this will be up to the team working on this project. I really don't care if that happens or not.

It seems alot of people are confused about what I'm saying and seem to reply with the intention that my character has been here long. Simply put, most of what Niles09 said is what concerns me. As he quoted "putting your mark on the world? That would save all the work eh? The problem for me and I guess a good part of the players just is we haven't even got close to that." Its not about the levelling up at all, its about the interaction and the story you create with it, and anyone who plays like this, who knows its all about the story and interaction, always leaves room for developement for thier characters, always leave unanswered questions or unfinished business that needs to be put to rest... its having to all now put all that aside for a new character, not by your choice that I don't like. I haven't even played my new character for 2 months yet, and if it closes in October I will barely make the 6 month period. Thats very little time to develope a character and what frustrates me about it is I spent over 7 months thinking about the story and developement of this character. To now have to make a brand new one before I achieve anything with this one is frustrating, and I'm very sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. Quite frankly I'm all storied out and I simply do not want to make a new one.

I don't see why the team would have to place restriction on this actually. By most of the replies here I don't see much of a problem with level one martyrs logging in, it seems alot of those players have already made the decision to make a brand new character instead of continueing thier old epic like character and if this isn't convincing, I say make a poll and find out from that.

However, the decision on that and pay to play hasn't been determined yet and I will patiently wait until they do. I personally think a bit of compromise needs to be placed though. If its pay to play then people are going to want to see a bit more freedom with their character choices (atleast I do), like letting you continue your character in the next game. If its not then its easy to still restrict these things.

iceyfire's picture
IlsarianLucindite

Well im just going to start my character off again thats about it, its as you say the Roleplaying that makes this server standout & makes it fun.

On a normal server you would not ever play on it if you had to go and get millions of exp to hit a simple level...

No its about the people you meet, the fun you have telling the story of your character and learning the stories of those around you.

I have yet to meet any person on here that cuts you off while your rping & tells you its time to go get Xp.

I like how everyone listens to the stories being told & does their best to act in a way that is meaningful with the particular character they are on.

To be honest the only real thing one needs to take from layonara on NWN is the name of their character and their traits, because in this upcoming world we will forge a new journey that will change out characters for better or worse.

They have yet to reveal much of anything on this title, but if they are focused on giving us something written with a in depth story behind it, quests constantly evolving the world, and freedom to create what they desire with it, then its definately a positive step.

Nwn is old, i think most of us can agree we were waiting to see how NWN2 faired so that we could port over to that, but as its multiplayer aspects flopped, we were forced into something different.

Hmm... Im good at rambling, anyway dont judge what we havent seen, im happy to leave it behind if it means being moved into a highly customizeable game that they have complete control over.

That is the one thing im sure they will let us do, characters stories now may end but they can always be remade..... If the history is coming over from NWN, then thats the only issue i can see occuring, i cant think of many reasons why the same person would return again hehe.

Dont worry, have faith, the reason you are here is because of the wonderful work that has been put into this server, i cant wait to see personally what they are able to do with a product where the only limitation is the limitations they create themselves.

Thanks from:
Force_of_Will_'s picture
LucinditePrunillianToranite

Remember since its their own engine you really cant transfer D&D characters there since it wont be D&D anymore.

Id like to see their game system do away with levels.

Then people wont worry about them.

Shadonite

Perhaps a skill-based system like Ultima Online?

Use a rapier, get skill on fencing.

Cast stuff get skill on invocation or whatever..

You get the point.

LFFF's picture

I don't care about the levels, I'm even willing to start Silaqui from scratch and pretend nothing happened up to this point. I just don't want to make another character, another bio

Pseudonym's picture
AeridiniteCorathiteDruidRofireinite

Just been reading a few of the posts in this thread and thinking to myself ... always dangerous!

I am actually really looking forward to this change, whenever it comes.

One of my major dissatisfactions with Layo when I was introduced a bit over a year ago was that there was already a stack of epics. This was then and look now! I looked at the server status the other night and there were eleven people on and the average level was 19!!! I don't care about the engine or that NWN is or was seen as a dying game. Jeez, I use a Mac, NWN is still cutting edge for me! My issue instead was there was already people who had entrenched themselves, through hard RP work, into positions of power over the previous four years and it seemed I was kinda coming in late.

I am just looking forward to a re-leveled playing field. I probably could have chosen better wording just then because I don't mean level in terms of character adventuring levels as such, but level playing field in terms of potential community influence and impact.

LucinditeMistiteGamemasterWriting Team Member

That's why I was in favor of a wipe when the NWN2 talk was going on. I was really really hoping it would be set further down the road. I didn't want to erase the hard won stories, so I would have liked some exception in the whole nobility/power clause for the epics for whom descendants would have been a problem, without mechanical benefit, to have a level playing field. I've never really liked the "my turn now, shoo" mentality I've seen a few times; if things were a bit more dynamic and fleshed out, there would be always room for more instead of "one person at the top, next."

Likewise I don't mind starting anew - if people want to discard everything that happened to their characters here and use the same backstory in the future, I doubt the kind of micro-management to say nay would be possible. I just hope that it's far enough in the future to where it's not really weird. If we started tomorrow, I would probably feel out of place as well - my character has like two centuries left on her lifespan, and even an average halfling wouldn't settle down for another 50 or so - why would she suddenly disappear? Or start back at level 1? That would feel weird for me, I'd rather just fast forward enough to make it not a problem. Of backstories, I have many.

Thanks from:
jrizz's picture
FolianiteToranite

Yep. It would be a mistake to start the new game with already "leveled up" PCs. I for one am really looking forward to a new start for all adventurers in a layo setting.

silverblades's picture
Angels Guild MemberAz'attanLucinditeToranite

Man I just wish i could of had a character powerful enough to see all the cool areas I'll never see.

saw some new places tonight and ive been here since 04

Change is good..

Aeridinite

I wonder how many OSs are going to be supported with this new engine...

GamemasterWriting Team Member

@Marswipp, please read the FAQ at the bottom of the first post. :)

Thanks from:
scifibarbie's picture
FolianiteRofireiniteVoraxian

SO...I was thinking...if the new version of layo is getting close.

DO we get to see any screenshots soon? I would really like to see what it looks like at this point.

Pleeeeeeze? :)

Pretty Pleeeeeeze wit sugar on top? :D

When we have them, we'll put them up for people to see. There are some visual enhancements and upgrades in the pipe that will make the visuals well worth waiting for.

Patience, young Jedi. ;)

Druid

but dorg you know patience isnt our best attribute

:goes and sits on the hill and watches the badgers:

but ill try

FolianiteToranite

Try not, Do or Do not,

There is no try

*Yoda Laugh*

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or register to post comments