State of Layonara and its Future

228 posts / 0 new
Last post
jrizz's picture
FolianiteToranite

I know this has come up already but I thought I would ask again. Will the new game come out of the gate on mac? I am about to go full mac but I wont if the new game wont support mac right away. Can this be answered?

Thanks from:
Layonara AdministratorDruidFolianiteGamemasterLucinditeWriting Team MemberXeenite

From the FAQ in the first post:

Quote:
Will the new game run on Linux?

Every effort will be made for native WinXP, OS X and Linux support "out of the box".

jrizz's picture
FolianiteToranite

*grins* Being a VP of R&D for a software company I fully understand what that means. Then my question is: Is mac support a stretch goal or a target goal? I can keep my PC packed away just in case.

Layonara AdministratorDruidFolianiteGamemasterLucinditeWriting Team MemberXeenite

It means what it means. *grins* It's a target, but not all targets are hit. As a VP of R&D, you know how that can go sometimes. ;)

We're not going to make a guarantee about anything at this stage. What you can read into it though is that it is planned and progress has been made to that end.

jrizz's picture
FolianiteToranite

Great thanks. I will save my PC as I do understand about choices along the development path.

BTW from what you and L have said it sounds like progress is good. I fully know the pains of working two or three jobs I have been working on a start up for three years while working full time in my current position. But funding is right down the path so I am headed quickly to only one full time job :)

Good luck guys I am glad to hear it is going well and moving forward.

Lydyn's picture

Eee-acks! I just read this and the original post said Layonara would last until December if we're lucky. *Cries* I just joined in late September to play for two months and poof! Finally found a server I can really get into ...

*Sigh* I guess my only real concern is money. I seriously only have about $100 to spend at the most. My real, serious question would be ... would we have to pay monthly? If so, I simply can't do it. I hope not ... this is the first server I feel welcomed and people really enjoy me and my role-play as much as I enjoy theirs.

*Prays*

-Lydyn

P.S. - Apologizes. It's late and I don't really have the motivation to read through some 10+ pages of stuff.

EdTheKet's picture
AeridiniteArageniteAz'attanBeryliteBranderbackianCorathiteDoranditeFolianiteGamemasterGrannochianIlsarianKatianKithairieniteLucinditeMistitePrunillianRofireiniteShadoniteToraniteVoraxianWriting Team MemberXeenite

Lydyn, for your December question, please refer to the post above by Dorganath and Leanthar.

For the payment, please see the FAQ.

iceyfire's picture
IlsarianLucindite

Remember its not like the server is going to die on december, things happen and especially over the holiday period, we dont need a december release, your family needs you guys aswell hehe, so dont feel any pressure so to speak, it looks like we are all still here, and moving into the next iteration of the layonara world when it happens, but im assuming myself that december is more then likely time for a beta rather then a finished product since this is the kind of product that our glorious leader has pushed as a players making the world the way it is :).

Im assuming thats how they are going to building post alpha anyway, keep up the good work and dont stress to much guys :P, we will all still be here.

Lydyn's picture

Quote:
Lydyn, for your December question, please refer to the post above by Dorganath and Leanthar.

For the payment, please see the FAQ.

Er, for one ... there was no 'December' question, it was a statement. Second, all the FAQ says is it'll cost money, not how or how much or whether it's a one time purchase or paid monthly like World of Warcraft.

A better answer would be to tell me no one knows at this time, then I at least know to be patient and wait. However, since no one told me ... if someone does know, please let me know. Thank you.

-Lydyn

EdTheKet's picture
AeridiniteArageniteAz'attanBeryliteBranderbackianCorathiteDoranditeFolianiteGamemasterGrannochianIlsarianKatianKithairieniteLucinditeMistitePrunillianRofireiniteShadoniteToraniteVoraxianWriting Team MemberXeenite

Quote:
Er, for one ... there was no 'December' question, it was a statement. Second, all the FAQ says is it'll cost money, not how or how much or whether it's a one time purchase or paid monthly like World of Warcraft.

A better answer would be to tell me no one knows at this time, then I at least know to be patient and wait. However, since no one told me ... if someone does know, please let me know. Thank you.

-Lydyn

It says:

"Will it cost money?

Yes. There are some factors that could change this, but they are not very probable. We are not willing to discuss this any further at this time"

so there you go.

Lydyn's picture

.... you know what, nevermind. You obviously don't know, I just wish you would've said that. *Shrug*

-Lydyn

LucinditeMistiteGamemasterWriting Team Member

I'm pretty sure they don't have a solid idea right now. The word in the past has been that they understand the problem that many have with subscriptions, or even the possession of a credit card itself, and were researching multiple methods to allow for a flexible payment system. I don't think that the development has gone far enough to say if they have nailed one yet, or else they probably would have replied saying so.

Regarding the "December Statement," Ed was only trying to point you to the discussion on the last page or so, where the question was, "Why December? Are we still going to be just shut down, are we going to know ahead of time, is this still on schedule?" etc, and Leanthar tried to assuage those fears. That's all.

Ed himself is pretty busy with about a thousand things and is the guy handling all the handbook stuff as well as the one to ask for everything lore-related, so if he seemed to skim over your actual question or give an indirect answer, I don't think it is intended.

Lydyn's picture

Alright, thanks. Apologizes for being a little rash .. I just thought he wasn't reading my posts closely for no reason.

-Lydyn

Stephen_Zuckerman's picture
Aeridinite

A note about Ed: While he may seem a bit abrupt/short/overly succinct at some times, he ALWAYS takes the time to read posts he's responding to, and his replies are (as far as I've ever seen) all well thought-out.

He just doesn't elaborate needlessly, as I'm apt to do.

AeridiniteBranderbackianCorathiteDorandite

With all of the methods of cash transfer these days there are plenty of options to address. Most of them are viable for people of any age. For the young'uns, give your parents the loot and have them use a credit card. For the bums like me, who avoid credit cards like the plague, give a buddy the loot and use his/hers.

What it really boils down to, though, is if people want to play this game they are going to find a pay to do so.

Thanks from:

I hope its pay once and thats it.

Aeridinite

Would be nice, but then we'd rely on either a high initial cost, or a constant influx of new players.

While those of us who're around all the time ,sucking up bandwidth, would slowly be depreciating the value of those minutes and kbs we're using.

but I can't pay montly or whatever :(

I really hope its like guild wars.Buy the cd and you can play.

I'm also wondering how are they goin to do the character approvement?

if they make their wn game can they really force people to rp?

Aeridinite

All of these questions and thoughts have been addressed previously, in this very thread.

does it specifically say anywhere that IT WILL COST PER MONTH or just PER CD ?

FolianiteToranite

They havet decided it yet, but aLL FAQs are answered in the first post, as L updated it.

HooD!uM's picture
CorathiteDruid

i dont know about the rest of the world but australia have now bopo. For thoes who dont know what this is, its a credit card that has YOUR money in it. Its not connected to any bank account, you just add cash to it and it acts like a visa card..then you can pay for anything...(just keep me away from ebay)!!!!!!!

i just thought i put this up here since a few people say they dont have creditcards or paypal and im just throwing options to help people out there to continue to play Layonara.

Druid

very true the states have them too they are charge your own visa or mastercard

after the initial 25 dollars to open it which pays for them making the card you get it in the mail

fo to your local western union and or check cashing store and you simply put on the amount you want

or put you whole check on it if you like

some months they do a double your deposit deal and they always double the amount of income tax refund checks if you put them on

this card is available for anyone who wants one and pays the fee

you track your account online

and it works like the burger king or arch cards

charge them up and buy what you like with your own card

Druid

forgot to put the link for the cards

these worked great when your moving or are changing banks or simply if you never had a card

it also gives you some credit history

https://www.netspend.com/

and it looks like they changed the double your refund thing to giving you a shot at 100 thousand dollars

HooD!uM's picture
CorathiteDruid

Will the currancy for this game be solely gold? or will it be similar to the classic copper, silver, gold,electrum,platnum or equivilant? i hope the latter cause i hate everything on a gold piece basis

FolianiteToranite

Been a Year since we heard about all this, and Layo is Still on NWN and the MMO seems to be coming along nicely. :) Lets hope for one more year ;)

Ok it has been a while since I poked my head in. I read something about all this a while ago and I think it's nice to see someone creating something and I wish them all the best of luck in keeping things going in these hard economic times.

The torque engine is a good solid engine from what I've seen from poking around in it (I have TGEA). But I've only poked and I am no expert on anything so....................

Anyway, again, good luck to all involved and if I get lucky and win the lottery I will give you guys a call.

Oh and I'm glad to see a layo server in the list on nwn1 still. Thank you to those still giving money to keep that going cause I am dl'ing the files to play on it now :D

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or register to post comments