Post here if the Server needs to be restarted

134 posts / 0 new
Last post
Post here if the Server needs to be restarted

Post here when the server needs to be restarted. Post day and time of when the server went down, please try to keep the time in GMT, or PST, Thank You.

Angels Guild MemberVoraxian

I'm not sure if it was just my computer, but experienced some bad lag this morning (9am edt); spikes were 3-10 sec's long.  I'll come on later to recheck it.

Lance Stargazer's picture
RofireiniteToranite

Start to feel lag yesterday evening specially about 11 pm CST . About those times too.  

orth's picture
Layonara AdministratorGamemasterKatianWriting Team Member

I can't see anything from the logs or the server processes to feel like there's reason there may be lag. The servers are using less than 1% of the CPU and 10% of available RAM. This may have just been the general internet (or even your connection) burping for a bit. If you ever do recognize significant spikes it's much more helpful to post on the forum or on IRC immediately so one of us may log in to the server and see if we can spot any reason for such an event.

I came back on around 6pm edt and it seemed to have cleared up.  Thanks for checking Orth and I'll try to post contemporaneously next time.

Ok, laggy again as I type; it is now 9:28 am edt; 5 sec spikes.

edit: FYI did a dsl speed test and I'm at 5.81 mbps download and 0.47 mbps upload; nothing else running and lights on modem look normal.

AeridiniteAngels Guild MemberKatianLucindite

9:40 am - Jako (Slithy Tove) had repeated major lags opening a chest and consulting an armor card.  Ferrit (Serissa) couldn't get in at all.  Got message "Server timed out".

Thanks from:
orth's picture

Thanks for the reports. I'm seeing significant packet loss myself. I don't think this has anything to do with the server though. Something is up with our network. I'll see what I can sort out.

Thanks from:

It all cleared up around 10:00am edt for me (as a note, this was on the central server).  This was about the same time Tylsr and two others logged on and he reported no lag on his side.  Also, it cleared up about the same time I finished smelting some ore.  I then ported to west and had no lag issues there either.  Seemed to be temporary then just in my initial morning session on central.  Thanks for checking Orth.

orth's picture

I'm a little concerned that our new hosts may have oversold their available bandwidth and everyone (businesses and otherwise) on the network getting all going at 9:30AM Eastern is impacting the performance. I plan on monitoring it again tomorrow morning at the same time and if I see the same issue I'll report the concern appropriately.

Thanks from:
AeridiniteAngels Guild MemberKatianLucindite

11 am - It's working just fine now.

Thanks from:
Angels Guild MemberDruid

Some fairly serious lag on central around 4:00 a.m. est.  Sorry about not posting contemporaneously. 

Also got jumped upon going through an AT in the roughlands into the back of the map and was surrounded by screetchers and giants but lived (the entrance to the AT is up a steep hill)

Willhoff

cbnicholson's picture
Angels Guild MemberRofireinite

Last night , 17th, from 6:30 - 8 pm cst, when I was on, I noticed multiple lag spikes.  Several other players on commented in tells the same thing. At one point I lost connectivity and spent 5 min trying to log back on.   It never got better.

Thanks from:
orth's picture

willhoff wrote:

Some fairly serious lag on central around 4:00 a.m. est.  Sorry about not posting contemporaneously. 

Also got jumped upon going through an AT in the roughlands into the back of the map and was surrounded by screetchers and giants but lived (the entrance to the AT is up a steep hill)

Willhoff

4am Eastern is when backups are performed. They are not enhanced for performance yet. The backups sync characters in the servervault with a remote server,  dump the db, zip them up and ship them remotely as well. This takes about 15 minutes.

orth's picture

Made some network adjustments/tweaks and reset the servers. We'll be right back. (Sorry for booting you Brutus! but the server wasn't up yet!)

Angels Guild MemberDruid

orth wrote:

willhoff wrote:

Willhoff

4am Eastern is when backups are performed. They are not enhanced for performance yet. The backups sync characters in the servervault with a remote server,  dump the db, zip them up and ship them remotely as well. This takes about 15 minutes.

Thanks Orth!  That explains things...serves me right for playing at that hour...I'll let you know if I find any further lag spikes

Charm2009's picture

Ahhhhhh, Olmae done broke the server.....
He and I were porting from Prantz and, well, I made it!

cbnicholson's picture
Angels Guild MemberRofireinite

Lots of bad lag tonight. 3 pm - 8:30 pm cst.  Not just me but others playing too. Would a reset help?

Thanks from:
orth's picture

cbnicholson wrote:

Lots of bad lag tonight. 3 pm - 8:30 pm cst.  Not just me but others playing too. Would a reset help?

No, there's nothing wrong with the server. There's connectivity issues with the hosting provider's uplink. Just one of those nights.

Thanks from:

Server appears to be down from this end. (UK)

Thanks from:
Charm2009's picture

What a relief, I was about to shake my computer.

Layonara AdministratorDruidFolianiteGamemasterLucinditeWriting Team MemberXeenite

Yep!  It was down.  Back up now.   Thanks for the notice.

Thanks from:

Server would appear to be down at this time. Thank you in advance.

lonnarin's picture
GamemasterXeenitePrunillianDruidDoranditeToranite

Strange issues today with the spawns.  Like as we were fighting a spawn, it spawned again about 2 minutes after the first making some overlapping enemies.  Other times areas were empty half an hour after they had been cleared.  Other times were fighting enemies that were 2 meters away, then they seemed to jump across the map and still fighting as if in melee range.  Also some 2-4 second lagspikes.  The lagspikes in themselves don't worry me much, but might want to reset given the strangeness of the spawns.

Layonara AdministratorDruidFolianiteGamemasterLucinditeWriting Team MemberXeenite

Done.

lonnarin's picture

Server seems to have gone down. 2:30pm EST 2/27/15

Thanks from:
lonnarin's picture

Heavy lag spike for about 10 minutes and then server went down at 1:47pm EST 3/6/15

Crashed and came back up as laggy as before.

kabold spawns on krashin are repopulating 10 sec's after first dispatched.

orth's picture

davidhoff wrote:

Are you just guessing that this has to do with lag or is this a known issue with lag before? 

Thanks from:
lonnarin's picture

Not certain on that.  Before the latest updates that fixed most of the lag problems we had before, I noticed a lot of respawns repopulate early.  Giants in the forest near Prantz, goblins in the red light caverns, skeletons in the crypt, etc.  No real pattern to which spawns were doing it, seemed to be inherent to respawns on the server in general.  I assumed then it was just lag.  Then after the last update when server response time got way batter, I noticed it still reoccuring.  I think it may be a larger issue to do with whatever heartbeat/timer script regulates the respawn rate of all spawns in general.  Maybe it skips a beat and thinks the times has already expired?  I don't do coding, so it's just a guess.

In some places I kind of laughed like the skeletons in Center crypt going for round two as I left the room.  More knuckles are nice, and who needs turns when you have great cleave?  Other times I was terrified like when Gromak was in the forest fighting giants and halfway through the spawn being defeated, an entire new spawn hopped right on top of him.  A lot of heal potions and crazed gnome barbarian rages later and he was victorious.  Sadly, the cleanup script ate most of the double-loot! :P

So I don't think the doublespawns seem to be inherently caused by lag, though laggyness might increase the potential for the timer to ding preemptively.  In terms of when I first noticed the double-spawns occuring, probably the last few months.  Before then in over a decade on Layo, something like that was very rare.

Thanks from:
Charm2009's picture

davidhoff wrote:

This happens in Silkwood Cave as well. The spawn between the CNR (the second spawn in) does the same thing. A second group spawns when you are still looting.

Thanks from:
lonnarin's picture

Please reset the server at the earliest convenience.  I usaed a LOT of traps on my last quest last night, and despite running through the areas in gm mode 3x since then, I've found a few more.  Don't want any folks blowing up randomly!  I'll keep doing passes meanwhile to try and make sure they're cleaned up.

Edit: jumpin Goran on a pogo stick!  That was FAST Orth!  Much thanks!

Thanks from:
orth's picture

Server has been reset.

Thanks from:
lonnarin's picture

Server froze and lost connect on 4 players today around 4:10pm EST 3/17/15.  Might need a reboot

Ravemore's picture
CorathiteToranite

I'm lag swagging all over layo..might be time for a restart? Also, the merchants are missing in Dalanthar...assuming that will be fixed with a reset.

Charm2009's picture

Those merchants, along with others around the server, were removed when Orth did some cleaning up of the server to make it run better.

Thanks from:
Ravemore's picture
CorathiteToranite

Thanks Charm.. did not remember seeing that when I was catching up on things.

-Rave

Charm2009's picture

You bet! :) Yeah, Orth did a whole bunch of stuff. It was like pow pow pow something new, changed, updated in rapid succession...hard to keep track of all of it. They are all great!

Thanks from:
orth's picture

Server has been restarted.

Charm2009's picture

After two reboots and a complete shutdown of my computer, the server still appears extremely laggy. Requesting the next reboot be the server. Thanks!

lonnarin's picture

Server crashed at around 11:30pm EST today 9/19/15 and has been down for the past 20 minutes.

silverblades's picture
Angels Guild MemberAz'attanLucinditeToranite

Ok my suspicion is confirmed, 11:30 PM PST shows offline

Thanks from:
Voraxian

The server still seems down when I try to login....it's about 2:15 am MST.

Xaltotun's picture
Druid

Ignore this - lag made me think my post had failed and caused me to repeat it

Xaltotun's picture
Druid

Ignore this - lag made me think my post had failed and caused me to repeat it

Xaltotun's picture
Druid

Sadly, still can't get in at 3.30pm GMT.

lonnarin's picture

Yup, still down. :(

orth's picture

Sorry for the delay. It's back up now.

Xaltotun's picture
Druid

29th Sept, 10.20-10.50pm GMT.

Can you reset the server please as something weird is going on. I was fighting monsters and my character stopped fighting after each and every attack. I took a bucket of damage before I realised I had to keep clicking on the monster to keep attacking it, but each attack looked as if it was a first attack and it took much much longer than normal to kill one monster. On the server side, the monsters seemed to be even faster than normal, as my character took a ton of damage when I didn't expect to take as much.

RollinsCat told me about this too and logged when he told me he felt it was too dodgy to continue. I also spoke to mixafix and he said he had experienced the same thing and was logging too.

The ping rate from my pc was 194.

Thanks in advance

~~ Xaltotun

Thanks from:

There was a DMFI "safety faction" feature turned on. Said feature has now been turned back off again.

Thanks from:
lonnarin's picture

Oops, had some faction mishaps on the last quest and tried the restore factions option on the lollipop wand.  Don't think that was working properly.  We may need a reset as there were some faction strangeness with horodes of kittens attacking the party after the quest.  Also was experiencing heavy lag spikes before then.  The lag is likely due to 6 quests worth of custom titled/descriptioned and visually effected monsters and NPCs in one week.  Server is likely spinning in circles trying to remember that many at once. :P

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or register to post comments