The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Critical Server Downtime Friday, Oct 22nd 2010, between 11:30PM and 2:30AM Eastern  (Read 818 times)

orth

Our server hosts have notified us of downtime for ALL of our servers between Friday, October 22nd 2010, between 11:30PM and Saturday 2:30AM Eastern Time.  I will be shutting the servers down a few minutes before the downtime.

This means all nwn servers, forums, irc, lore, web site will ALL be down.  I will monitor the downtime and be prepared for any problems after the servers come back up.  If there are any serious delays or problems where I can not communicate through normal means I'll tweet it and post it on our wall at Facebook.

Below is the message our hosting providers sent to us for those more interested.

I apologize for any impact this may have on any planned excursions.

Today we have been advised about an electrical problem with the UPS system powering our suite J1 @ 1250RL.

We are required to perform an electrical maintenance on this UPS system that will cause a 30-45 minute interruption of electricity. Unfortunately there was nothing Netelligent could have done to foresee or prevent this problem.   We will be attempting to safely shutdown each server a few minutes before the maintenance window indicated below. However, if you would like to login remotely and power down your server beforehand, our technicians would find it very helpful.  

We apologize for this inconvenience and understand the impact it has on your business.

morunas

Re: Critical Server Downtime Friday, Oct 22nd 2010, between 11:3
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 08:40:48 am »
And I thought UPS exchange was seamless to main power supply o.O

Isn't UPS like the backup energy source? :P

Or is it because it's better to put it all down then to risk having a breakdown and not having the UPS up?

Just curious! ^^

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:39:19 am »
It all depends on how things are structured as well as whether or not the servers themselves have single or redundant power supplies.  Servers are generally plugged directly into the UPS, so physically swapping out the UPS equipment generally requires the connected servers to come down. I believe there are ways to structure a collection of UPSes into a sort of "grid" where one can come down and while others continue to supply power to equipment.

Changing the batteries in a UPS can typically be done while the equipment is online, but it seems like they are changing out the UPSes themselves.

In truth, I don't know how the host has their UPSes structured, but I'm pretty confident that if they say the servers need to come down during this time, then they need to come down.

Hellblazer

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 05:31:11 pm »
*Shakes his fists at MR Brown* err wait? not the same ups? :P

orth

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 01:44:15 am »
All servers seem to be functioning and back to normal.

anything