The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Periodic server downtime over next few days  (Read 1772 times)

orth

Periodic server downtime over next few days
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:57:35 pm »
Hello again folks,

We are reworking our server structure over the rest of the week to prepare for the coming excitement of the plot quests and to cut some costs.  One of our development repository and team collaboration servers (silkwood) is being transitioned to run on the same server as our forums and lore server (garent).  We don't expect this to cause any change in the performance you see from these sites but it will mean some occasional downtime for the forums and lore as we add some additional web server capabilities.

Once this transition is complete and silkwood goes offline we will be using the cost savings to temporarily support a second server for NWN to run quests when needed. Hat tip to Dorganath for offering to pay for the difference to support the windows server for this and for the idea in general.  To support this capability there will need to be a time for us to temporarily take down the nwn servers to properly mirror the database and the character files over both servers. We'll try to perform this late at night/early morning when things are quiet. Exact date and time is not known but I will follow up in this thread when we decide upon those details. We estimate it will occur some time in the next week.

Feel free to ask any questions should you have them.

-orth

gilshem ironstone

Re: Periodic server downtime over next few days
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:17:57 pm »
Wow.  Thanks all for going above and beyond.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:34 pm »
Rock on. How I have pined for the return of the quest server.

willhoff

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 04:16:00 pm »
Awesome idea go team! *tips his hat to Dorg*

OneST8

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:42:44 pm »
Also please note that I'm looking into the LORE login issues as well. People can expect to have to relogin at random points so please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that may cause.

Thanks!

davidhoff

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:31:30 pm »
Thanks to the Team for this and to Dorg for flipping the true needed!  *trembles as he wonders how many Drachs they can throw at us at one time now on quests*

orth

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:06:18 pm »
I'm taking the nwn servers down now for about 20 minutes while there is no one online to copy the files to our new server.

Serissa

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:54:55 pm »
Eep!  The Angels Guild is missing a whole bunch of chests!  Is there a new super slow populating or is something wrong?  I went in and out a couple of times, waited around...no change.

orth

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 05:13:03 pm »
Quote from: Serissa
Eep!  The Angels Guild is missing a whole bunch of chests!  Is there a new super slow populating or is something wrong?  I went in and out a couple of times, waited around...no change.

Nothing was changed codewise.  Which house # is this?

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 05:13:36 pm »
Might have been a hiccup in population.  The database still shows 199 pieces of furniture in the Angel's hall, so I don't think you're truly missing anything.

davidhoff

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 05:15:29 pm »
That or could be the overabundant consumption of green fluids :p

Serissa

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 06:29:21 pm »
The chests are all back, and everything's fine.  Thank you very much!

Ferrit

Pseudonym

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 07:08:45 pm »
Q. Re: the extra costs to do all this, would it not be worthwhile to change the requested donation amount to cover this?

Don't ask, don't receive!

Leanthar

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 11:05:58 am »
Requests don't work really. Over the last decade (ish) we have requested numerous times, sometimes it works fairly well and other times it fails miserably.

What I find interesting is that those that donate the most (and most consistently) are team members for the most part (GM Team, Project Team, Writing Team and MMO Team). Don't get me wrong we do have a few others donating as they can and every once in a while a member will step up and donate for a few months in a row; this is very inconsistent in general (with a few exceptions mind you).

Overall, with two exceptions (and you know who you are--thank you) the teams listed above have donated well north of 90% of all costs over the last decade(ish). So overall, in general, donations do not work well at all and asking for donations does not work much better (indeed it places more stress on those that are already donating in the first place). In general terms I am speaking here, but I think you get the point I am trying to make.

enconTynctymn

Consider This Prior To Using Xrumer Service
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 02:57:25 pm »
Increasing your SEO organic rankings is easy with xrumer
. If you want to rank higher in the search engines and also do well with SEO, then you need to get significant backlinks. Obtaining a lot of backlinks is easy if you utilize xrumer blast
 or make use of an xrumer blast
 service.      

xrumer blast
 is a program which will post in discussion boards as well as publish blog comments. It takes care of all the security issues such as making accounts and CAPTCHAs. It's extremely handy for this reason. You can also hire an xrumer service
 service  in which somebody will operate the link building software program for you. If you'd like to get remarkable SEO results, then you need to utilize an xrumer
 Service. If you want to use xrumer service
 on your own you have to spend $500 plus money for a dedicated server. This usually costs about $150 per month. A way cheaper choice is to just use an xrumer service
 service.      

If you are going to make use of an xrumer blast
 service you want to check you're getting good quality work. You want to be able to verify your backlinks, so make sure you get a written report. The xrumer service
 service you utilize should be able to provide you with this. If they will not provide you with this, then you definitely should get someone else for your xrumer
 needs. Also, make sure that there aren't any broken links.   If the forum doesn't not allow HTML or certain forms of anchor text, then you will have many broken links. This will not help your Search engine optimization rankings, so it is a total waste of time.      

xrumer blast
 can post a high amount of links, but many people who offer an xrumer
 service don't give you any firm guarantees. The ones who stand behind their xrumer service
 work tend to cost more, so if you can find someone to offer an xrumer service
 service at reasonable prices, you need to jump on it. This way you will know you are receiving the links that you pay for.      

There are many suppliers who offer a xrumer service
 service who offer a couple of hundred thousand forum posts or blog comments. This is great, however the reality is many of these will not even get recognized. The success rate for this type of xrumer service
 blast is usually around 4%. Then out of those many of them are not even live on the web. If you would like to find a reliable xrumer
 service, make sure they guarantee the quantity of posts you will have, and be sure you can verify it.      

When utilizing xrumer blast
 the correct way you can see big increases in your search engine rankings. Of course there'll be additional factors that contribute to this including on page SEO along with other backlinking strategies. However if you are serious about obtaining higher rankings in the SERP's, you will want to consider getting an xrumer blast
 service.