The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A little question about staffs and two bladed sword  (Read 403 times)

Hellblazer

A little question about staffs and two bladed sword
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:20 pm »
I remember that the quaterstaff gets a 1.5 x your strength modifier applied to dmg as a two handed weapon. Would that also be applied to the two bladed sword?

miltonyorkcastle

Re: A little question about staffs and two bladed sword
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:15:13 pm »
Yes and No. The two-bladed sword counts as having two weapons (a one handed weapon in the primary and a light weapon in the offhand), which means that your primary attack will get 1x str and the offhand attack will get .5x str. The quarter staff does not count as two weapons (in NWN anyway), but as a two-handed weapon (one weapon requiring two hands to use effectively).

Chongo

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:18:59 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
The quarter staff does not count as two weapons (in NWN anyway), but as a two-handed weapon (one weapon requiring two hands to use effectively).

Such an unfortunate mechanic.  Should be double sided *and* count for monk attacks.

That's just me though.

Hellblazer

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:51:47 pm »
thanks for the prompted answer guys.

lonnarin

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:10:46 pm »
Quote from: Chongo
Such an unfortunate mechanic.  Should be double sided *and* count for monk attacks.

That's just me though.

I just wish we could grapple and cast enlarge person. Had a very nasty dwarf in PnP who took up Imp Unarmed fighting and Imp Grapple and improved disarm for that very reason.  Angry ettin? OOOH! The DWARF Tackles ye!  Double chokehold critical!!!

drakogear

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »
sorry for bumping an ancient thread but kinda wanted to point something out about this. In the unexpanded/unupdated version of NWN the quarter staff was considered a double weapon (1d6/1d6), or so it says in the hand book from the original NWN (unless thats a mistype in my copy). Why oh why did they change it to a two handed weapon? Suppose cause there mostly used by wizards, sorcerers and druids who don't normally get the two weapon fighting feats and without witch they would suffer a great loss to there attack rolls with a double weapon (-6/-10).

Though now I kinda wander if its possible to add a new type of staff to Layo? one that is considered a double weapon (double staff? Combat staff? Bo Staff?)? Then again it would likely be custom and thus unmasterable.

Filatus

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 05:21:27 pm »
Google nwn wiki quarterstaff is quicker.

"Some NWN manuals and documentation incorrectly list the quarterstaff as a double-sided weapon. It is a large weapon."

Adding new custom weapons to a probably nearly full item pallete is not a smart thing to do. Especially, considering how often the current custom weapons are used.

Only ever seen Farros use one consistently, I think it was the falchion.

Hellblazer

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 04:49:08 pm »
Quote from: Filatus
Google nwn wiki quarterstaff is quicker.

Adding new custom weapons to a probably nearly full item pallete is not a smart thing to do. Especially, considering how often the current custom weapons are used.

Only ever seen Farros use one consistently, I think it was the falchion.

Well as far as two bladed swords are concerns, it's the main weapon of Fehriel.

davidhoff

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 05:56:01 pm »
I don't think the two-bladed sword Feh uses is a custom weapon.  Therefore Feh should be able to get full use out of weapon feats like imp crit, weapon focus, etc for that weapon, whereas a two-bladed scimitar would not get use out of those weapon feats because it is a custom weapon.

Hellblazer

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 05:57:32 pm »
Quote from: davidhoff
I don't think the two-bladed sword Feh uses is a custom weapon.  Therefore Feh should be able to get full use out of weapon feats like imp crit, weapon focus, etc for that weapon, whereas a two-bladed scimitar would not get use out of those weapon feats because it is a custom weapon.

yep:)

drakogear

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 06:01:34 pm »
Nor is the Trident a custom weapon. Played the standers NWN campaigns and its listed in the Weapon focus (at least) list. Why its listed in Lore as a custom then I don't know. Unless the ones in Layo are some how custom.

But thats going a bit off topic.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:34:25 pm »
Have you tried the diremace as a double staff substitute? It doesn't get much love.

drakogear

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 11:42:55 pm »
Quote from: Script Wrecked
Have you tried the diremace as a double staff substitute? It doesn't get much love.

Thought about that but it wouldn't work for a nature character. DireMace has metal parts... unless there are ones with a wooden shaft and a bolder on each end.