The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Arrows and their stats  (Read 423 times)

Hellblazer

Arrows and their stats
« on: October 19, 2009, 02:58:56 am »
Alright here I have a trained bow with iron mahogany and stirge feathers.

the combination of arrows gives those stats:
DMG bonuses: 2d6 negative energy damage vs construct
DMG bonuses: 1d6 negative energy damage

Testing it on the construct in the rough lands I noticed that I didn't get any negative damage over 12. Would the two be staking or just the one that is vs the racial type?

The way I read LORE is this way. When fighting the foe the arrows are destined for. You get 2d6 (mahog) vs type of foe + 1d6 (mahog)for the feather type damage. if you fight something that the arrows were not designed for then you only get the feather type damage of 1d6 (mahog) that applies.

So in my case this is what Ty should be getting, if my assumption is right.

1-8+1 (bow) + 2 piercing damage + 2d6 neg damage (tip/wood/feather) + 1d6 neg damage (feathers/wood) + 1 enchantment bonus (AA level 1) = a minimum of 8 to a maximum of 30 without a critical. In other word, Ty should be getting a minimum of 3 negative damage to a maximum of 18 negative damage pre-critical. Again if my assumption is correct.

If it's only the racial type that applies, when facing that kind of foe, then the lore page about the enhancement should reflect that reality, and say that only the tip damage applies when facing the type of foe.

The following users thanked this post: davidhoff

Chazzler

Re: Arrows and their stats
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:31:33 am »
Are you sure the damage vs constructs is Negative Energy?
Since what I know of the arrow types is that the racial damages are physical damage.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:41:41 am »
It should be negative energy, yes. The "vs." bonus damage always matches the feather type, just like the general damage bonus. But my understanding is like yours, HB, in that the vs and general bonus damage should stack. When you apply a silver enchant and an elemental anchant to a weapon, the damage vs undead stacks with the elemental damage, so I'd assume the arrows would work in much the same way. (For reference, Steel also uses an iron/maho/stirge bow, but I've never looked closely enough at the damage to notice this effect.)

osxmallard

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:53:42 am »
Damage bonuses of the same type should not stack.  In this case, the 2d6 negative energy against construct overrides the general 1d6 negative energy bonus when fighting constructs.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:19:32 am »
Hm. I suppose that's how the arrows balance with the Silver and Titanium enchants, since a Silver/Titanium Enhancement only gives a +1d* (where the * represents 2, 4, 6, or 8, depending on the level of the enchantment) vs the +2d* that the arrows give. Really, the arrows only ever give one extra d* vs constructs since the damage types are always the same and therefore do not stack. I'll make a note of that on LORE.

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:53:09 am »
Right... THanks

Nehetsrev

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:28:51 am »
I've always looked at it like this:

The Feather Type determines the Damage Type: Piercing, Bludgeoning, Slashing or Negative Energy

The Shaft Type determines the Damage Amount above a normal arrow's 1d8 damage: +2, +1d4, +1d6, +1d8

The Arrowhead Type determines what the arrows are best Versus: vs. animals, vs. constructs, vs. undead/shapechangers, etc.

So, an Iron-tipped, mahogany, falcon feathered arrow would do 1d8 normal piercing damage (since arrows default to piercing damage) + 1d6 (mahogany shaft) piercing (falcon feather) versus constructs (iron tip) Meaning, you only get the additional 1d6 damage from the arrows if they're used against constructs, otherwise they'll still damage anything else the same as a normal arrow would, for 1d8.

If you had also applied a Fire Enhancement III to your stack of arrows, they'd also do 1d6 fire damage to anything they hit, assuming the target didn't have fire damage resistance/reduction/immunity of some sort.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

------
 A good combo for hunting undead might then be Silver tipped, Yew shafted, Owl feathered arrows with a Fire IV enhancement which would do 1d8 piercing + 1d8 Bludgeoning vs. Undead/Shapechangers +1d8 Fire damage.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 11:36:40 am »
In your above arrow example, you'd get +1d6 piercing on top of the 1d8 from the arrow, unless you were fighting constructs, against which you would receive +2d6 piercing on top of the 1d8. The question here was whether you would in fact receive 3d6 vs constructs, which turns out to not be the case (Unless you add an elemental enchant to the arrows. See below.). Also, I added a note at the bottom of [LORE]Item Enhancements[/LORE] which deals with this case.

A good combo for hunting undead might then be Silver tipped, Yew shafted, Owl feathered arrows with a Fire IV enhancement which would do 1d8 piercing + 1d8 Bludgeoning vs. Undead/Shapechangers +1d8 Fire damage.

Actually, it would be +2d8 Bludgeoning vs Undead/Shapechangers. And the 1d8 fire would have overwritten the 1d8 Bludgeoning the arrow normally gets when not facing Undead/Shapechangers. However, this means that adding an elemental enchantment, even though it overwrites the 1d8 bonus damage that came with the crafted arrow, is actually better vs undead than an arrow with an alchemical silver enchant on it. This is because the "vs" bonus damage and the general bonus damage are no longer of the same type and can now stack.

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 11:41:05 am »
1d6 piercing? hmm never knew about that one.

cbnicholson

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 12:33:23 pm »
What Steel said is correct, at least as I've been able to determine with Ben's fletching and playing with enchantments.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Hellblazer

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:13:39 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
In your above arrow example, you'd get +1d6 piercing on top of the 1d8 from the arrow, unless you were fighting constructs, against which you would receive +2d6 piercing on top of the 1d8. The question here was whether you would in fact receive 3d6 vs constructs, which turns out to not be the case. Also, I added a note at the bottom of [lore]Item Enhancements[/lore] which deals with this case.

Actually, it would be +2d8 Bludgeoning vs Undead/Shapechangers. And the 1d8 fire would have overwritten the 1d8 Bludgeoning the arrow normally gets when not facing Undead/Shapechangers. However, this means that adding an elemental enchantment, even though it overwrites the 1d8 bonus damage that came with the crafted arrow, is actually better vs undead than an arrow with an alchemical silver enchant on it. This is because the "vs" bonus damage and the general bonus damage are no longer of the same type and can now stack.

Ah well something to consider for my yew bows, if I will train them or not. Since you can't add elemental dmg to them and the other bonus doesn't apply.

anything