The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ask the Loremaster: Goran  (Read 253 times)

EdTheKet

Ask the Loremaster: Goran
« on: May 31, 2009, 04:40:52 pm »
LORE: Goran is posted.

Some relations changed.

The following users thanked this post: Lance Stargazer

EdTheKet

Re: Ask the Loremaster: Goran
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:59:09 am »
LORE: Goran's Temples has been posted.

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:10:01 pm »
All of LORE: Goran can be accessed through the Goran page.

Gulnyr

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:10:11 pm »
SSGEMP is a sect of Goranites that seems at odds with the possible alignments of his clerics.  How does that work?

EdTheKet

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 06:38:46 pm »
Well, the first way it would work is that sects are not necessarily part of the church.

The second way it works is that it was all written with the MMO in mind and then we won't have alignments anymore and only the mantras:
Idealistic, Scholarly, Serious, Technological which doesn't necessarily imply good behavior as defined by the D&D Good/evil axis.

And yes, I do realize that its current leader is a cleric who'd technically may have to be evil if bent on world domination, and therefore not fit within the one-step rule. So she's CN for now.

Gulnyr

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:21:37 pm »
Well, the first way it would work is that sects are not necessarily part of the church.
I didn't mention churches because churches have nothing to do with it.  The "main church" of any god could just be the biggest and most popular sect, after all.  Depends what you mean by "sect", I guess.  Anyway, if the power of a cleric comes from the god, "the church" can stuff it; they don't get a vote.

The second way it works is that it was all written with the MMO in mind and then we won't have alignments anymore and only the mantras:
Idealistic, Scholarly, Serious, Technological which doesn't necessarily imply good behavior as defined by the D&D Good/evil axis.
Fair enough.  It's hard to comment not really knowing what a mantra is supposed to be, though.  Are they as binding as alignments, or just minor concepts to consider once a month?  If a cleric drifts too far from alignment now, she could lose her god's favor and the powers that come with it (as demonstrated by the CN alignment of a specific NPC (who's still leading an Evil Goranite sect)).  Is the same true of mantras?  

Yeah, that's probably better as a whole new thread (What Are Mantras Anyway?), along with another for my comments on how confusing it is to get MMO info without MMO rules.  I'm excited, too, but Acacea's old idea of decoupling NWN and MMO is still a good one.

EdTheKet

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 07:27:06 am »
Quote from: Gulnyr
I didn't mention churches because churches have nothing to do with it.  The "main church" of any god could just be the biggest and most popular sect, after all.  
True.

Quote from: Gulnyr
Yeah, that's probably better as a whole new thread (What Are Mantras Anyway?), along with another for my comments on how confusing it is to get MMO info without MMO rules.

Thread.

I'm excited, too, but Acacea's old idea of decoupling NWN and MMO is still a good one.
While it's a good idea, it won't happen as we don't have the manpower.

Acacea

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:30:36 am »
Sorry, not to push anything one way or another but I'm not sure what manpower has to do with it? It requires more manpower to triple review everything, check it against MMO lore, make sure no one is talking about something that happened in-game but isn't allowed to have occurred anymore, or whatever else than it does to say "you're on your own from here," heh. The whole point was just leaving it alone with whatever is given, be it a fully fleshed out handbook or only pieces of it.

EdTheKet

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:12:10 am »
I interpreted the decoupling as having two separate sets of lore to keep track of.

EdTheKet

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 09:40:58 am »
LORE: Goran now has a picture of Father Invention.