The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ask the Loremaster: Law of Layonara  (Read 797 times)

EdTheKet

Ask the Loremaster: Law of Layonara
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:30:50 am »

The following users thanked this post: cbnicholson, Lance Stargazer, Kenderfriend

akata

Re: Ask the Loremaster: Law of Layonara
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:01:58 am »
Entry into Al'Noth's Denial is one-way only, through a handful of portals throughout the world of Layonara.

Where precisely in the world?

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:16:33 am »
Quote from: akata
Where precisely in the world?

Considering I only thought the entire thing up about an hour ago, this list is not exhaustive:

- Spellgard
- Western Gate
- Prantz
- Huangjin
- Fort of Kings

Hellblazer

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:21:22 pm »
If it's one way only. I imagine that this means if you are sent there you are then gone for ever?

EdTheKet

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 04:28:17 am »
Quote from: Hellblazer
If it's one way only. I imagine that this means if you are sent there you are then gone for ever?
That's a fair assumption.

Shiokara

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:45:20 am »
Quote from: EdTheKet
That's a fair assumption.

I don't think this is what one might call fair. If this is just intended to be a no-magic prison cell, then your wizardly jailers should likely have a way of pulling you out from the outside when your sentence is complete.

After all, a mage who steals a loaf of bread shouldn't get a life sentence just because he has the ability to cast. Not unless all bread thieves get life sentences. Isn't this just a way for the judiciary system to assure that magic users can receive the same punishment as everyone else?

Acacea

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 12:15:07 pm »
This isn't meant for magic users stealing bread, especially if it was made by Lucindites that consider the Al'Noth a holy thing. Death would be more merciful to them than trapped without magic. With a whole solemn unraveling to go with it it is a bit more ofa high level punishment than a slap on the wrist, heh.

Besides, there are containment cells for holding people for a minor duration.

I could not see this used except in the gravest of situations, and in my opinion even then it would be very difficult to carry out and a matter of controversy. It is, after all, worse than death by far - so it must be intended for those that you're not entirely sure you can kill anyway...heh.

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 12:26:03 pm »
Add to what Acacea said with the idea that wizardly bread thieves would more likely have a hand cut off, which is (according to Earth history, anyway) not an uncommon punishment for thievery.

EDIT: A good example of this is what would happen to Steel if he violates the terms of his sentence for the murders he committed in Leringard.

Like Acacea said, it's for the worst of the worst.

akata

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 02:11:02 pm »
How long have these portals been around?

Acacea

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 02:15:04 pm »
'Bout 900 years.

((Edit - I may have misunderstood the question. It is possible other portals have been created over time that did not exist when the destination itself was created, so if that is what you meant, never mind ;) ))

Ravemore

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 03:09:10 pm »
Quote from: Shiokara
I don't think this is what one might call fair. If this is just intended to be a no-magic prison cell, then your wizardly jailers should likely have a way of pulling you out from the outside when your sentence is complete.

After all, a mage who steals a loaf of bread shouldn't get a life sentence just because he has the ability to cast. Not unless all bread thieves get life sentences. Isn't this just a way for the judiciary system to assure that magic users can receive the same punishment as everyone else?

I have to agree. A magic user who is caught for murder has his character effectively removed from the game forever. A non-magic using class is executed, returns to the bind-stone and is allowed to continue to play. This is not a balanced system of punishment. If a system like this in place for magic users, there should be something else in place for other classes to make the potential consequences of actions equitable. This is not fair. :(

Acacea

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 03:11:12 pm »
Please read the posts below that. The gravity of this punishment must not be clear enough.

Ravemore

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 03:12:44 pm »
I did read them. We are not arguing about the gravity...I am arguing about equity. It is not a fair system.

Acacea

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 03:25:09 pm »
1) I doubt any PCs are really going to do something so huge as to be thrown in there, that would not also be able to be dealt with in other ways.

2) If a non-spellcaster was to do something impacting enough to warrant something equal, he would certainly not be just executed and left to respawn. That would be pretty dumb. Simple murder is not "worst of worst." Steel's real punishment was the banishment, and the next real punishment would hinder spellcasting in its own morbid way.

It's not exactly an everyday thing. Murder is, unfortunately.

Dorganath

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 03:27:26 pm »
Guys...

Steel is a magic user.  He was charged, tried and sentenced for 14 counts of murder.

He is not getting thrown into the Al'noth's Denial.

Once more and with feeling:  This is for the worst of the worst.Someone getting thrown into such a prison would have to demonstrate quite a horrid string of crimes, magical and traditional, such that the only remaining option to contain said individual was this sort of imprisonment.

Read everything again and think about who created it.  Lucindites.

They would not just condone tossing in magic users left and right just because they committed crimes. There are other, viable, short-term options.  If Lucindites are willing to strip someone of all magic use permanently, then there's a fair chance that said magic user brought harm to the Al'noth itself as well as whatever else they've done.

Really..everyone...take a breath. It's unlikely PCs will get tossed into this thing.  Chances are really good, in fact, that the PC would have to cross the line into Chaotic Evil before their deeds would even qualify, and at that point, the character is unplayable anyway.

Ravemore

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 03:50:40 pm »
Quote from: Acacea
1) I doubt any PCs are really going to do something so huge as to be thrown in there, that would not also be able to be dealt with in other ways.

2) If a non-spellcaster was to do something impacting enough to warrant something equal, he would certainly not be just executed and left to respawn. That would be pretty dumb. Simple murder is not "worst of worst." Steel's real punishment was the banishment, and the next real punishment would hinder spellcasting in its own morbid way.

It's not exactly an everyday thing. Murder is, unfortunately.

Again that is not the point, but I do see what you are saying. The system is illogical as well as biased. A prison of that nature should apply to any super bad person regardless of whether they use the Al'noth. The use of the Al'noth is not required to enter the portal because it is stripped from them when they enter. The Lucindites could not be adverse to sending any super bad person through those portals because it benefits the entire world and does not impact their mandate to protect the Al'noth in any way. The prison should be applicable to anyone.

Yes, it is unlikely any magic using player will ever get thrown in there. It is possible though, and therefore unfair.

I'm sure you were not referring to me as "dumb", so I'm not going there. The other alternatives for other classes are life imprisonment or banishment, which still afford the player the opportunity for rescue or escape. Those in the Lucendite prison are not accorded those potential luxuries.

Ravemore

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 03:51:59 pm »
True...

Quote from: Dorganath
Guys...

Steel is a magic user.  He was charged, tried and sentenced for 14 counts of murder.

He is not getting thrown into the Al'noth's Denial.

Once more and with feeling:  This is for the worst of the worst.Someone getting thrown into such a prison would have to demonstrate quite a horrid string of crimes, magical and traditional, such that the only remaining option to contain said individual was this sort of imprisonment.

Read everything again and think about who created it.  Lucindites.

They would not just condone tossing in magic users left and right just because they committed crimes. There are other, viable, short-term options.  If Lucindites are willing to strip someone of all magic use permanently, then there's a fair chance that said magic user brought harm to the Al'noth itself as well as whatever else they've done.

Really..everyone...take a breath. It's unlikely PCs will get tossed into this thing.  Chances are really good, in fact, that the PC would have to cross the line into Chaotic Evil before their deeds would even qualify, and at that point, the character is unplayable anyway.

Rowana

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 04:12:12 pm »
I just want to point out that there may well be a punishment system for non-casters that will result in the same severity. Just because it's not posted yet, doesn't mean it's not there. There are a plethora of reasons that this may not be posted on the Laws of Layonara page, for instance perhaps many kingdoms have their own and thus not a "universally" accepted punishment.

I may perhaps be reading into this a little more then is being meant, but it seems to me people are getting rather wound up about this. It almost seems to be a personal offense to some and I'm not understanding why the uproar is going. I think if someone were to explain we could potentially address the issue more effectively.

~row

Ravemore

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 04:18:57 pm »
There was no intent to make this sound like a personal offense. If that was read into my posts, my apologies because it was not meant to be conveyed that way, and considering I am the only one at the moment making waves I think it is a fair assumption you are referring to me.

You can feel free to PM me if you have a specific question on my above posts. I'll be at my computer for a little while. I would do the IRC thing, but for some reason I cannot get the web interface thingy to work.

Rowana

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 04:20:54 pm »
Quote from: Ravemore
There was no intent to make this sound like a personal offense. If that was read into my posts, my apologies because it was not meant to be conveyed that way, and considering I am the only one at the moment making waves I think it is a fair assumption you are referring to me.

You can feel free to PM me if you have a specific question on my above posts. I'll be at my computer for a little while. I would do the IRC thing, but for some reason I cannot get the web interface thingy to work.

Nope, not just referring to you! There's been no small amount of other avenues used to convey distress to the team! Don't let me give the impression that I'm singling anyone out. My post was truly directed at the community.