The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ask the Loremaster: Vierdri'ira  (Read 431 times)

EdTheKet

Ask the Loremaster: Vierdri'ira
« on: May 20, 2009, 02:34:46 am »

The following users thanked this post: lonnarin, geloooo, SteveMaurer

lonnarin

Re: Ask the Loremaster: Vierdri'ira
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 02:51:38 am »
"Usually they wear an obsidian necklace with two red eye-shaped rubies hanging from it."

Aren't rubies incredibly hard to get and expensive?  I suppose not so much in dark elf cities.  New players of her clerics however would be hard pressed to RP that there are rubies in their holy symbols.  Otherwise every other dark elf in their group would slaughter them for it and make like, 60,000 true in the tradehall.  Maybe they could have any red gem instead?  If the dark elf priestesses in the rift had rubies in their holy symbols, for example, Bjorn would be a very very rich dwarf indeed after having slaughtered upwards a few hundred of them.  I wouldn't even worry about chipping them, the dust alone would be a fortune!

Maybe add a line "Or if rubies are not available, Opals can suffice for initiates."  Lord knows there's a lot of opals that have been endlessly pawned out there. ;)

geloooo

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:06:19 am »
I love the concept of the Hierarchy! Yeah, Dark Elves are somewhat always clad in the most expensive stuff, spider silk and blackened mithril. I'm just waiting to hit 21 to get that blackened mithril stuff, still a bit expensive though @_@. All in all, a great number of updates! I love the details! :) Hope to see more soon! Maybe even contribute! :D

Alatriel

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 03:23:23 am »
Considering there is no current high level pc cleric of Vierdri'ira in game that I know of, and we have no temples that are accessable in game and we have to buy our lowbie unholy symbol from the Mistites, no, I suppose technically there would be no rubies.  However, there is a difference between dark elves and other new pc's.  one:  aren't all dark elves unless otherwise stated, if pc's, part of some noble house?  Therefore, if they have advanced into pc'dom in the worship and following and priestesshood of Vierdri'ira I suppose you could even rp that you have 2 small rubies (non magical) on a small holy symbol pendant.  Not everything has to be thought of in terms of magical usage.  Just like, you can take an ordinary commoner's outfit and say it's made of crude cotton, or you could say that it's made of silk.  It doesn't make a difference mechanically it's just rp.  Who cares?  Having a small necklace with two red rubies the size of a diamond seed is not going to draw anyone's attention, nor is it going to cause people to go trying to rip your eyes out anymore than oh wait... HECK!  That's a DARK ELF!  I don't think they noticed the small rubies on the necklace as they were burning the dark elf at the stake.

There are some things that you just have to get around the mechanics and go with what fits for your character.  Yes, I play a cleric of Vierdri'ira.  Yes, mechanically I had to buy and unholy symbol from the Mistites:  Guess what, my character only did that on an ooc basis because I had to.  I am pretty sure that when she came to the surface she didn't accidentally leave the holy symbol that she never takes off ever ever ever on her nightstand back in her room at the temple she grew up in.  

Oh, and the other dark elves in their group better be scared out of their mind to attack a priestess of the Mother of Darkness.  If they all came to the surface together (all nobody lvl 0-1 pc's) they better believe that that priestess of Vierdri'ira, or that priest of Baraeon Ca'duz would not only kick their butt, but would curse them to heck and back and then bring them back so that they could do it again.  These are not people to be trifled with.  I mean sheesh... if they were weak, apparently the midwives would've killed them before they even got going, right?  I know I wouldn't want to mess with them they're scary!

oh wait... maybe that's because they're... hmm.. oh yeah.  DARK ELVES!!

:)  hehe... sorry... it's 3:26am, I'm going to bed now after my silly little ramblings.

Oh... and thank you thank you writing team for Vierdri'ira write up as well.  My cleric appreciates the new information and will put it to good... I mean... evil use.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 03:31:36 am »
Is it still the case that no-one actually knows her name? (If so,) should this be included in the above?

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

lonnarin

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 03:35:00 am »
Maybe the NPC dark elf priestesses that we kill could drop a pinch of ruby dust to symbolize Bjorn crushing their wretched symbols into valuable alchemist goo? :P

EdTheKet

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 07:12:54 am »
Considering there is no current high level pc cleric of Vierdri'ira in game that I know of, and we have no temples that are accessable in game and we have to buy our lowbie unholy symbol from the Mistites, no, I suppose technically there would be no rubies. However, there is a difference between dark elves and other new pc's. one: aren't all dark elves unless otherwise stated, if pc's, part of some noble house? Therefore, if they have advanced into pc'dom in the worship and following and priestesshood of Vierdri'ira I suppose you could even rp that you have 2 small rubies (non magical) on a small holy symbol pendant. Not everything has to be thought of in terms of magical usage. Just like, you can take an ordinary commoner's outfit and say it's made of crude cotton, or you could say that it's made of silk. It doesn't make a difference mechanically it's just rp. Who cares? Having a small necklace with two red rubies the size of a diamond seed is not going to draw anyone's attention, nor is it going to cause people to go trying to rip your eyes out anymore than oh wait... HECK! That's a DARK ELF! I don't think they noticed the small rubies on the necklace as they were burning the dark elf at the stake.

There are some things that you just have to get around the mechanics and go with what fits for your character. Yes, I play a cleric of Vierdri'ira. Yes, mechanically I had to buy and unholy symbol from the Mistites: Guess what, my character only did that on an ooc basis because I had to. I am pretty sure that when she came to the surface she didn't accidentally leave the holy symbol that she never takes off ever ever ever on her nightstand back in her room at the temple she grew up in.

Agreed 100%

Is it still the case that no-one actually knows her name? (If so,) should this be included in the above?

Good point, it should.

EdTheKet

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 10:33:23 am »

LynnJuniper

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 03:31:21 pm »
You may want to be careful with the word "Valsharess" anywhere within there, seeing as its also what they call Matrons in Drow houses in Forgotten Realms (With Lloth being the Ilharess) . Otherwise, I really like what you did to separate Lloth from Vierdri'ira.

EdTheKet

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 05:08:52 am »
Thanks, that should have been removed from LORE, so I just did.

Drizzlin

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:33:53 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
"Usually they wear an obsidian necklace with two red eye-shaped rubies hanging from it."

Aren't rubies incredibly hard to get and expensive?  I suppose not so much in dark elf cities.  New players of her clerics however would be hard pressed to RP that there are rubies in their holy symbols.  Otherwise every other dark elf in their group would slaughter them for it and make like, 60,000 true in the tradehall.  Maybe they could have any red gem instead?  If the dark elf priestesses in the rift had rubies in their holy symbols, for example, Bjorn would be a very very rich dwarf indeed after having slaughtered upwards a few hundred of them.  I wouldn't even worry about chipping them, the dust alone would be a fortune!

Maybe add a line "Or if rubies are not available, Opals can suffice for initiates."  Lord knows there's a lot of opals that have been endlessly pawned out there. ;)

I have always looked at this based on the power/level/strength of the PC. A young priestess would have small shards of rubies to represent the two full sized rubies. Two small ruby shards are not that expensive and wouldn't be hard to find. This is because she is not that powerful/rich and can't afford two full sized rubies.

It would be the priestess goal over time to acquire the larger rubies to better represent her deity. Over time she might have two hope diamond sized rubies blinging from her neck!

EdTheKet

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 03:36:37 pm »
LORE: Vierdri'ira is now posted completely and there's also a picture of the Mother of Darkness.