The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Azatta...  (Read 573 times)

merlin34baseball

Azatta...
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:17:34 pm »
are there paladins of Az'atta?

Thanks!

Merlin

Carillon

Re: Azatta...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:32:04 pm »
Hi Merlin,

I'm not a gamemaster, but I can field this one as a LORE team member, I think! No, there are no paladins of Az'atta. Only five deities in Layonara have paladin organizations: Aeridin, Toran, Rofirein, Vorax and Lucinda.

You can read their respective oaths and vows here.

Eyvind

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:35:13 pm »
You could probably still be a paladin worshipping Az'atta, but you wouldn't be nearly as vindictive as a member of any of the established paladin orders. Right?

Carillon

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 06:52:49 pm »
Actually, no. A paladin is not merely a faithful fighter, nor a member of the clergy who has some extra abilities. They are holy warriors, and much of their abilities come from the power given to them by a god.

When I say not all deities in Layonara have paladin organizations, this implies more than just the clergy of that deity not getting their act together and making a group of paladins. Rather, it implies that the deity itself does not sponsor paladins. Deities other than the five listed are assumed not to require paladins, for one reason or another. In these cases, priests and priestesses and other members of the clergy perform much of what would be a paladin's role.

From LORE: "Only Aeridin, Lucinda, Rofirein Toran, and Vorax require holy warriors beyond their normal clergy."

You could certainly create a fanatical fighter who defends his deity and upholds the dogma at all costs. Alternatively, you could create (if deity appropriate) a cleric who battles his deity's enemies in a very paladin-like manner. However, the mechanical class of paladin and the abilities specific to this class are reserved in Layonara for followers of those five gods only. Paladins with deities other than those five in their field would not be approved, nor would a paladin without a deity.

I hope this helps clarify the matter! If I'm mistaken on any points, I'm sure a gamemaster will hop in and correct me. :)

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 07:07:56 pm »
Carillon is essentially correct.

To put it another way, the concept of a "holy warrior" doesn't mesh well with Az'atta's dogma of redemption.

Erik K

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:15:54 pm »
would it be possible to create an order of paladins that were more like holy defenders?  that might keep with Az'atta dogma;
 Go forth into the world and use your training and powers to serve and protect those in need in any way that you are able. Do not be passive, but be an active force for good in Layonara.
Do not take up arms and armor, unless it is to protect yourself or others from harm.

if their role was more of a defender of the temples and those that cannot defend themselves?

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 07:34:43 pm »
That's pretty much the role of the clergy right now, with the following stipulation.  

Quote from: Az'atta
All creatures of Layonara are worthy of Az’atta’s mercy, if they choose to accept it. You must offer all creatures, regardless of past acts, a chance to accept the mercy, redemption, and love offered by Az’atta.

In addition to "serving and protecting", the dogma of Az'atta states that others must accept Her gifts of mercy, redemption and love.  A zealous "defender" sort of suggests defending and aiding regardless of consent, which is sort of at odds with dogma.  Az'attans do not force Her dogma upon people, but rather make the offer and let people make the choice for redemption themselves.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:13:36 pm »
Keep in mind that ALL faith-based-classed characters must have an alignment within ONE (1) step of his or her deity's. For example, a Cleric of Pyrtechon (who is CE) could be Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Neutral, or Neutral Evil, but NEVER True Neutral, Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil, etc.

As Paladins MUST be Lawful Good, the deity of a Paladin can NEVER be anything but Lawful Good, Neutral Good, or Lawful Neutral.

There are precious few of these deities in the Layonaran pantheon: Rofirein (LN), Toran (LG), Aeridin (NG), Vorax (LG), and Lucinda (NG).

Az'atta, being CG, could have WORSHIPPERS who were LG (falling under the TWO-step rule for worshippers who do not derive any class abilities from their faith), but not Clerics or Paladins.

This has been your gratiutously mechanics-oriented post, brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Stephen.

Carillon

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:52:33 pm »
Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman

As Paladins MUST be Lawful Good, the deity of a Paladin can NEVER be anything but Lawful Good, Neutral Good, or Lawful Neutral.

There are precious few of these deities in the Layonaran pantheon: Rofirein (LN), Toran (LG), Aeridin (NG), Vorax (LG), and Lucinda (NG).

To be fair, Stephen, Grannoch is also Lawful Neutral, and both Beryl and Folian S'pae are Neutral Good, and in theory could have paladin worshippers. (Disclaimer: Though of course there are no paladins of these deities, nor would any be approved as lore currently stands)

But sometimes it just doesn't make sense for a deity to have paladins, mechanics or no! I mean ... paladin of Folian S'pae? *giggles at the thought*

[/side comment]

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 11:17:48 pm »
True, Carillon. Wasn't thinking about them. That said, noone EVER mentions a Paladin of Folian, while the Az'atta issue crops up regularly.

:) Thank you for the correction, though; I need to do more of my homework.

major6

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 11:20:51 pm »
I love the idea of a paladin of Grannoch.. makes me go hmmmm...

LynnJuniper

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 07:20:46 am »
Now here's my question:

If Eldrich Knight were available in game, would the Protectors of the Al'Noth (sp?) still be paladins? ;)

*runs away*

EdTheKet

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 10:00:02 am »
Quote from: merlin34baseball
are there paladins of Az'atta?

Thanks!

Merlin

Just to confirm, nope, there are none! Essentially for reasons already mentioned above.

LightlyFrosted

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 11:05:07 am »
Actually, a paladin of Folian would be pretty awesome.  Allow free cross-classing with ranger (a la Lucindite Paladins cross-classing with mage), and you have a champion of justice, righteousness, whatever that you CANNOT ESCAPE.  Ever.

You run away, and they track you.  Wilderness Lore is a wonderful thing.

I think the Lord of Wolves would at the very least get a kick out of it...

Weeblie

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 12:57:23 pm »
I thought more wanted to have Paladin classes removed from some of the deities rather to add new deities to the list. :p

LightlyFrosted

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 01:33:01 pm »
Oh, no.  There are a lot of cool deities that deserve paladins.
For example, Katians.

"If you don't stop your nefarious deeds at once, I will give you a VERY STERN LOOK."

And let's not forget Corathites.

"Smite, smite, smitety smite-smite..  Oooooh how I love some aspects of this job.."

Rowana

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 06:27:59 pm »
Quote from: LightlyFrosted
Oh, no.  There are a lot of cool deities that deserve paladins.
For example, Katians.

"If you don't stop your nefarious deeds at once, I will give you a VERY STERN LOOK."

Ahem... *clears throat* Any deity who can have NE clerics will not stop at 'very stern looks'.

*shifty*
~row

Acacea

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 07:19:34 pm »
@Lynn, Lucindite Protectors should never have been paladins in the first place, and be more like Spellswords, anyway...or other classes not available in NWN that are more arcane feeling (even if divine). So given the opportunity, probably not first choice. The paladin class is just way too rigidly about certain things that you get automatically, without having any room for the things they'd really need. It's just kind of meh.