The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Bashing things  (Read 485 times)

drakogear

Bashing things
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:49:07 pm »
Been kinda wandering about a few things of which I could have asked in the Shattered Weapon thread but then it would go off that threads main topic so I make a new thread.

When mining, chopping trees or generally attacking/bashing an inanimate object, do they really need any AC? I mean... its inanimate... it can't move... so how can your really miss?

Also, webs... why do we have to bash down webs? Can't we simply reach out, grab and tear them down? Are they made of metal or something?

Dorganath

Re: Bashing things
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:33:03 pm »
Quote from: drakogear
Been kinda wandering about a few things of which I could have asked in the Shattered Weapon thread but then it would go off that threads main topic so I make a new thread.

When mining, chopping trees or generally attacking/bashing an inanimate object, do they really need any AC? I mean... its inanimate... it can't move... so how can your really miss?

Mechanically, they need AC because it's a combat action.

Besides that, AC is not just what it takes to make contact, it's what it takes to have a chance to do damage.  As for how can you really miss?...ever see children play T-ball? It's possible to miss completely, or make an ineffective strike that glances off the rock face.

It's usually only a factor with lower-level characters. Eventually, the AC of the CNR becomes largely irrelevant for most.

Also, webs... why do we have to bash down webs? Can't we simply reach out, grab and tear them down? Are they made of metal or something?

Metal? Is that a serious question?  Nevermind that spider webs are stronger by weight than steel. *winks*

Also, there's no reach-out-and-swipe action, and despite how easy it may seem these webs are spun by big spiders, and they're not just some single-layer pretty web spiral you might see on your porch some summer morning but many layers of sticky strands.

In truth, they're an obstacle, both for you and for the creatures within.

drakogear

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:08:04 pm »
Ok, maybe you could miss hitting a rock but in those cases your usually swinging down at it... but when it comes to hitting a door (let alone the broad side of a barn door. :D ) can you really miss? Wether or not your hit does damage should really come down to overcoming Damage Reduction.

As for webs, ok maybe they are strong... but then can't we burn them with torches? Maybe some sorta action script for that if possible.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:39 pm »
Let me break this down for you....

The difficulty to hit and damage a rock or a tree is part of balance and speed. It should be more difficult for someone with lesser strength and lesser control of their implements than someone with more capability.  It's an imperfect but reasonable way to portray an increase in skill of chopping or mining as a character progresses within the limitations that NWN imposes.

Short answer: it's not changing.

As for webs...sure, it could, but is cutting them all that much of a problem?

If it matters, the webs in the Center catacombs have already been flagged as a little too difficult for a lot of 1st-level characters, and as such are a potential target for improvement.  In other places where web walls are deployed, one's ability to damage/destroy them are level appropriate...or easier.