The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Can I trade helmet of armor II?  (Read 777 times)

AeonBlues

Can I trade helmet of armor II?
« on: May 12, 2007, 02:38:27 am »
I was saying IC that I never got a helmet of armor II because it is metal.  Then Wren sent me a tell saying that I might be able to trade one for a druid version.  Is this true?

AeonBlues

Talan Va'lash

Re: Can I trade helmet of armor II?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 03:52:39 am »
No.

(At least I've never heard of anything of that nature.)

jrizz

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 03:56:37 am »
poop, I guess it was just shields then?

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 04:25:53 am »
Quote from: jrizz
poop, I guess it was just shields then?

Oh yeah, shields and spears, thats what you're thinking of :)

Weeblie

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 04:41:52 am »
... which is no longer possible in the case of shields, at least.

Wooden shields are nowadays craftable. ;)

*Points at Alleina's Mahogany Tower Shield.*

ycleption

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 12:56:43 pm »
You could always use the customization forge, and make it into a hood. Or, if you pick a brownish color, some of them can look passibly like a leather helmet.

minerva

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 01:45:06 pm »
Making it "look" like a hood is really poor RP form.  

It is a metal helmet and as such Druids should not be wearing it.  They have Barkskin (and a much better one at that) available to them naturally.

You can however trade the helmet to another player who may have lost their's due to the effects of poor inventory management or rust monsters.

ycleption

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 02:13:24 pm »
Quote from: minerva
Making it "look" like a hood is really poor RP form.  

Really? I've just assumed for both my characters that they gave the enchantment to us on whatever type of head covering we choose.
The helmets of armor are some of the better items rewards in the game (at least, that I know of), it seems a bit unfair to restrict their use, since classes that can wear armor unrestricted are probably the ones that need the helmets the least.  Even barbarians or rogues, for rp reason, might not want to put a metal helmet on, is it poor rp for them to change the appearance?

minerva

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 02:26:17 pm »
Barbarians, rogues and others have not uttered an oath to shun metal objects as part of their connection to the great Oak.

Catch 22 as far as them [other classes] transforming the item and is in most part aesthics. NWN has yet to make an attractive helm IMO.

My own opinion is it is also cheesy RP to go into battle in a Full Plate Platinium Dress, but many do it.

Being a hobby seamstress myself  I can relax a bit with leathers for dresses and skirts having some favorite suede and leather skirts/dresses of my own thru the years.

Drizzlin

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 02:49:16 pm »
Barbarians, rogues and others have not uttered an oath to shun metal objects as part of their connection to the great Oak.

Catch 22 as far as them [other classes] transforming the item and is in most part aesthics. NWN has yet to make an attractive helm IMO.

My own opinion is it is also cheesy RP to go into battle in a Full Plate Platinium Dress, but many do it.

Being a hobby seamstress myself  I can relax a bit with leathers for dresses and skirts having some favorite suede and leather skirts/dresses of my own thru the years.

Not to step on toes here, but rogues, barbarians, and any other class without the feat heavy armor are not allowed to wear a fullplate helm and technically (oath or no oath) shouldn't be wearing any form of heavy armor. So those are game mechanics they are breaking, if the helmet is fullplate. This discussion has been brought up in the past, and I suggested back then that druids should be able to wear that helmet, just like the other classes who do.

My reasoning is based on the simple fact that the only classes putting barksin on the helmet for the militia are Rangers, Druids, or a cleric with the plant domain. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't slap a barksin enchant on a wooden helm, or silk hood =P. In fact I found it hard to believe that the druid would even place the enchantment in the first place on a metal item.

I don't personally find it bad RP as long as you go change the visual to look like something none metal. However, like Minerva said, why use that helm when you can cast a FAR better barksin as a druid.

Weeblie

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 02:57:59 pm »
In the case of Helmet of Armor, the guideline is extremly clear.

Druids may NOT use it, regardless if you change it to the appearance of a hood or not.

This is not punished for... say... the first 10 levels as the team do understand the helmet might be necessary for survival at low levels (although it's still a rather bad form in my own opinion).

But if a higher level druid is caught using it... At least expect a request to throw it into a trashcan.

Helmet of Armor II is one of the better quest rewards in the game... for non-druids... Their own Barkskin spell greatly overpowers the spell in the helmet at the start of level 7 (or so). ;)

Dorganath

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 03:04:20 pm »
I don't think that a metal helm qualifies as "heavy armor" or full plate or anything like that. They're just "helms" and partly, I believe, due to the fact that they made no differentiation between full helmets, circlets, headbands etc. To add, NWN doesn't support anything but a full helment, and that's because of the engine limitations.

Having said that, the issue here is that regardless of size, shape or style, a druid would not wear a metal helmet, had, headband, etc.  It's the fact that it's metal, not what it looks like or how big it is.  That's where it becomes questionable RP.

ycleption

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 03:28:49 pm »
So, should my monk also refrain from using the Helmet of Armor, as monks have oaths against armor?

minerva

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 03:50:18 pm »
The only monks thus far for which this is an issue are Vorax's Brothers of Battle. They definitely are not allowed to wear the helm. Other monks, because the class is so diverese, it has not become an issue

Serissa

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 06:47:33 pm »
Ferrit Pandorn would be overjoyed to be able to buy a helm of armor.  (Hint, hint)

Drizzlin

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 11:10:39 am »
The only monks thus far for which this is an issue are Vorax's Brothers of Battle. They definitely are not allowed to wear the helm. Other monks, because the class is so diverese, it has not become an issue

I think it should be an issue. If monks make an oath not to wear armor, they shouldn't wear it.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 11:20:15 am »
Yeah, I don't think the Druids need it anyway, but There should be , as it was mentioned before a few druid specific quest drops to balance the playing field a bit. Really, class specific quests would be kind of cool. I know there's at least one in game that will only accept mages to do it.

Gulnyr

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 12:42:45 pm »
The only monks thus far for which this is an issue are Vorax's Brothers of Battle. They definitely are not allowed to wear the helm. Other monks, because the class is so diverse, it has not become an issue

Quote from: Drizzlin
I think it should be an issue. If monks make an oath not to wear armor, they shouldn't wear it.

True, but Minerva's statement covers the only organization of Monks that it's an issue for.  The Brothers of Battle have an oath not to wear armor.  Other Monks, being as individual and diverse as Fighters or Wizards, may or may not have taken that sort of oath.  There is no rule in D&D 3.X or Layonara that says Monks as a class have taken an oath not to wear armor.  It may be an oath, or it may be a choice.  A personal oath not to wear armor is similar to a personal oath by a general Wizard not to cast necromantic spells; the DMs can't be expected to enforce everyone's personal oaths.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 12:14:11 am »
Most monks choose not to wear armor because it's so restrictive, same reason many rogues choose not to. Sure, for one it's their own sixth sense guiding their actions, and the other sheer nimbleness, but... *Shrugs.* the idea's the same.

Helmets themselves are not heavy armor. Sure, you could drop a heavy helm on someone, but... The thing to remember is that in standard D&D, the helms are part of a suit of armor. In NWN, they're separate.

DiegoBastet

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 11:32:58 am »
Mu character simply sold the helmet of armor she got. I reaaly thought it was strange for me to use. Besides, it was getting in the way of her hair...