The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Character crash at login  (Read 1085 times)

Dezza

Character crash at login
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:11:28 am »
Okay so I was crafting clothing in Center with my character Brodoor Tergin and I crashed. I could no longer log in with the character. I waited for a server reset and I can still not login with the character.

Can a GM with more powers than I fix this?

Dorganath

Re: Character crash at login
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 11:45:20 am »
You might see if someone can port you out when you log in to reset your location. It may take a few attempts because the timing can be tricky.

One point of clarification though...after the reset, did it boot you out when loading briefly into the Path of the Storm area or after it ported you to Center?

Lastly, do you see any messages about the character being illegal in some way. You might need to check your logs to see if there's any clues.   Sometimes, things happen during the customization process that can result in an illegal character if the process is improperly interrupted.

Dezza

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:19:45 pm »
No nothing like that the area starts loading and just at the last second NWN crashes every time. Its only with that character.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »
And to be sure, the game itself crashes rather than simply booting you out?

Dezza

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 05:13:29 pm »
Yes! That is exactly right!

Aphel

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:44:11 pm »
I had that problem with Aden and my other characters, but I am not certain it's the same thing that affects you. A new installation helped including some weird patching around until it didn't crashed anymore.

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:48:43 pm »
One other possibility is that the particular clothing option you picked is causing your machine to crash.  It might be worthwhile to re-extract your HAK files and see if that helps.  The other somewhat drastic option is to try and edit your character file to reset your armor's appearance.  Do you happen to remember which part you were customizing at the time?

Dezza

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:40:09 pm »
I think it was the torso of the armour.

If I re-extract the hak files and it doesnt fix it can I just remake the character? He only had a few levels.

Dezza

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:47:31 pm »
Re-extracting the hak files didnt work. Remake it?

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 05:57:25 pm »
It's definitely your armor.

I was able to reproduce this on my own system.

The good news is that I went and blanked out all your armor appearances, and I was able to log in fine with a copy of your character.  

The bad news is that I don't think it was the torso. I don't know what part it is, but just blanking out the torso didn't work.

I also went ahead and put a different suit of armor on him.  The one you were trying to customize is back in your inventory and looks like a bare chest.  This updated character file should be in your vault on the server now.

You'll need to re-customize this armor.  When you do, pay attention to what you're customizing. Maybe we can figure out what part it is.

For tracking purposes, this character is human male with the large/heavy phenotype.

Dezza

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 03:20:45 am »
Thanks Dorg,

All working again fine, I crafted the armour again no worries.

I think I was working on the left shoulder at the time now that I think about it.

Dorganath

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:25:38 am »
Good deal.

Well if you run into it again, try and get specific.  We can possibly fix or eliminate that choice from the options, since it appears to be troublesome.

anything