The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Character idea: Possible?  (Read 113 times)

Pseudonym

Character idea: Possible?
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:07:13 am »
Would it be possible to submit for a character with a level split of 1/19 if it were possible to substantiate that there was absolutely no mechanical advantage in that single level (lower HPs, worse saving throws, less skill points)?

I have an idea for a character that hates magic (seeing at as a great semi-sentient evil) where I would love to make his first lvl that of sorcerer before going monk the rest of the way. I foresee great potential in an element of self-loathing for this character's RP if he were allowed to take a level of sorcerer (of course on the condition he NEVER cast a spell nor summoned a familiar nor used a magical item requiring some levels in an arcane class).

Nehetsrev

Re: Character idea: Possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:00:35 pm »
Why not just say he had sorcerer ability, but because of his distrust/hatred for magic he never developed it at all?

Pseudonym

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:10:58 pm »
I dunno. I suppose that begs the question when exactly does a sorcerer's ability blossom (manifest? mature?)? Is it at 1st level, or prior?

Shiokara

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 12:49:20 am »
Sorcerers are arcane spellcasters who manipulate magic energy with imagination and talent rather than studious discipline. They have no books, no mentors, no theories—just raw power that they direct at will. Sorcerers know fewer spells than Wizards do and acquire them more slowly, but they can cast individual spells more often and have no need to prepare their incantations ahead of time. Also unlike wizards, sorcerers cannot specialize in a school of magic. Since sorcerers gain their powers without undergoing the years of rigorous study that wizards go through, they have more time to learn fighting skills and are proficient with simple weapons. A sorcerer can call a familiar: a small, magical, animal companion that serves her. Charisma is very important for sorcerers; the higher their value in this ability, the higher the spell level they can cast.

I would argue that since sorcerers abilities are based off an innate talent rather than studying they would have said abilities at level 0 depending on the player's interpretation.

This is reflected in approved character submissions, such as the case in Annabelle Switch's approval:

Annabelle grew up the daughter of Kheldell farmers, she lived a typical life for her first 15 years until one day when she accidentally cast her first cantrip and learned that she had a natural affinity for the Al'Noth. a year later she was practicing with when she accidentally started a fire in her Kheldell home

Here the character discovered her talent at age 15, what I would argue is level 0 (because approval for level one requires the character to meet the minimum age requirement for that race).

The submission of Samnyma suggests a similar interpretation:

She [the woman, Magra] had recognized Samnyma's gift for sorcery from an early age in the child's life. It seemed that some of the many events that twisted her childhood were not entirely happenstance.

I read your submission, and I do find it interesting. It seems almost like the master cleaned up a 'rogue' figure except in this case the urchin-like tendency is magic. If the master, taught, or beat the character into not pursuing his innate talent even before he was of minimum age it doesn't seem necessary to take a level in Sorcerer.

Your words "blossom" "manifest" and "mature" are quite different as well. Blossoming and maturation are a kind of coming into one's own, a show of development, whereas manifestation is just a kind of presence. A "raw power" may exist within him, but if it is so blocked by his discipline as though it does not exist, then I don't see why taking a level in sorcerer is necessary.

In short, it seems to me, from the Lore and approved character submissions, that a sorcerer's ability preexists level 1, but that it is not necessarily controllable (in Annabelle's case it seems more manageable until the fire, and in Samnyma's it seems to influence events in a way Samnyma is unaware until later). Regardless, there is something manifested before level 1.

What may be interesting to think about, on top of the self-loathing quality of a path the character might have gone down would be what if at some point later in his life he faced a challenge that might even require him to tap into that innate ability? What if at some point he became so wholly defeated there was a doubt in discipline? That would be an interesting character development, too, I think.

I digress, though, I am merely speculating off my research. I am nowhere near qualified to give advice on the matter.

lonnarin

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:37:38 am »
I think it would be even more hardcore to make a pureclass sorcerer with 8 charisma, and dub him a "commoner" or "peasant" class.  Walks around in regular clothing, using a crossbow with his little pixie friend that makes fun of him for being weaker than she is in combat.  Now THAT would be a self-loathing character path.

Rowana

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 01:55:34 am »
Quote from: Pseudonym
Would it be possible to submit for a character with a level split of 1/19 if it were possible to substantiate that there was absolutely no mechanical advantage in that single level (lower HPs, worse saving throws, less skill points)?

To answer the question on a 1/19 split. This is not possible. It is a mechanical stance that the server has taken for years for exploit/abuse reasons and will not be changed. You are welcome (when/if approved) to take five (5) levels in your lesser class and roleplay to an even lesser ability but the minimum is and will remain five (5) levels per class before 20.

Quote from: Pseudonym
I have an idea for a character that hates magic (seeing at as a great semi-sentient evil) where I would love to make his first lvl that of sorcerer before going monk the rest of the way. I foresee great potential in an element of self-loathing for this character's RP if he were allowed to take a level of sorcerer (of course on the condition he NEVER cast a spell nor summoned a familiar nor used a magical item requiring some levels in an arcane class).

There is also the issue of multiclass restrictions for the monk class, which will have to be attended to. As the character has been subbed the specific details will be handled there.

~row

Pseudonym

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 02:43:50 am »
Thanks for the responses, especially that of Shiokara - interesting and thought provoking.