The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Charm/Dominate Person  (Read 725 times)

drakogear

Charm/Dominate Person
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:08:28 am »
Ok, this is more of a question to the Angels guild and any other player shop/traders... and to GMs too...

Was thinking of a sorta arcane trickster type character, Wiz/Rog mostly, and been debating between Illusionist or Enchanter and after looking the NWN Wiki leaning a bit toward enchanter.

Then I read about the Charm and Dominate spells and there effects on merchants (NPC ones that is) Charm reduces Appraise by 10 and Dominate reduces it by 20.

Charm person - NWNWiki, the Neverwinter Nights Wiki - your guide to the game of NWN

Dominate person - NWNWiki, the Neverwinter Nights Wiki - your guide to the game of NWN

Question in... can you Charm and/or Dominate PC Merchants? :) Causes a temporary stun to PCs but still... at least rolls would be made automatically then and spell point used without need of GM. ;)

Now question to GMs... ummm... if there is no Telepathy... then what is it Charm and Dominate do... RP wise? :\

Dorganath

Re: Charm/Dominate Person
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 02:56:14 am »
Charm and Dominate are considered "hostile" spells, and so one cannot cast them successfully onto another PC unless the two PCs are hostile to each other (i.e. engaged in a PvP situation).  This is one of those cases where you need to communicate with the other player(s) and not just toss out a spell and try to force some kind of outcome.

Charm is simply a matter of the target being beguiled by the caster. The target's reactions are more favorable toward the caster, though it is not necessarily an automatic "win" type of a situation. It just improves the chances of success.

Regarding Dominate, the target will obey commands given by the caster.

But I stress again, have respect for your fellow players if you plan to try something like this, because it is technically a PvP kind of situation. If the player is opposed to it, then you don't do it. Also, you must accept the consequences of using such spells, especially if they fail.

drakogear

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:24:48 am »
Right... almost forgot it was hostile... so, with an OOC agreement the player(s) switches from neutral to hostile in the player lists then caster can cast Charm/Dominate and RP the outcome (save/fail)... right?

Serissa

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 05:56:11 am »
The Angels encourage bargaining and generally reward such role play with price reductions.  However, in a society with a very limited number of sellers, you might quickly run out of persons willing to sell to you if they perceive that you are using trickery or magic on them.

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 06:33:29 pm »
Although it's more inline for the angels, I'll put in the word for the Cailomel's shop. As an OOC matter Charm and dominate person will not work on Feh so you can always try and see where it leads :P If you work with others of the shop they might lower the price a tad more but there's a limit to what we can work with as per guide lines.

Xiaobeibi

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:14:06 am »
I will ask you not to do this at the Angels.

I know some of the other Angels might disagree and enjoy this sort of roleplay, but if you use hostile magic on a guildmember in their guild capacity that is an attack on the whole guild (the active members).

My own character would take a rather dim view of anyone using hostile magic to steal from or con the guild, but as a player I simply do not wish to be forced into PvP. My choice as a player would therefore be to act out of character for Galathea or engage in a kind of roleplay I do not wish to engage in.

Regarding the dominate X spells. I think Dorg is being too diplomatic here, there is nothing technical about dominate spells. They are hostile magics where you attempt to enforce your will over another being. What you are trying to do is something which in real life could be compared to drugging your victim.

drakogear

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:44:29 am »
Quote from: xiaobeibi
I will ask you not to do this at the Angels.

I know some of the other Angels might disagree and enjoy this sort of roleplay, but if you use hostile magic on a guildmember in their guild capacity that is an attack on the whole guild (the active members).

My own character would take a rather dim view of anyone using hostile magic to steal from or con the guild, but as a player I simply do not wish to be forced into PvP. My choice as a player would therefore be to act out of character for Galathea or engage in a kind of roleplay I do not wish to engage in.

Regarding the dominate X spells. I think Dorg is being too diplomatic here, there is nothing technical about dominate spells. They are hostile magics where you attempt to enforce your will over another being. What you are trying to do is something which in real life could be compared to drugging your victim.

Or in a more fantasy or well... sci fi sense... Useing the old Jedi Mind Trick -waves hands around-

Though given HellBlazers post... guessing Feh is a Trydarian... for mind tricks don't work on them, only money. No money, no parts, no deal... and you won't find anyone else with a T14 Hyberdrive Generator I can promise you that :D sorry... had to... watched that movie a bit to much mesa be thinking.

Though, would say there are well... a few options one could take IC if they suspect they've been well... bewitched? One... confront them directly or two... report it to the local Rofies and see them in court.... and others I can't really think of now...

Serissa

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:58:30 am »
Options:  If a player should try a dominate spell as PvP,  he'd most likely fail, being a low level.  Ferrit would be hard put not  to run him through and would certainly never deal with him again.  Even  should he succeed, as soon as she 'realized' what had happened, she'd  refuse to deal with him again.

Charm isn't really a problem.  Anyone can do a charisma roll or just bat  his big blue eyes at me.  How well he talks would really determine for  me just how well it works.

Another way of bargaining is to point out supposed flaws in the merchandise.

Role play means using your imagination.

Dorganath

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 08:28:54 am »
Quote from: xiaobeibi

It's what I do.  *winks*

At the same time, I'm not going to make decisions for you or anyone else by saying, "Don't do this." It's a form of PvP, and PvP is allowed here.  Of course, all PvP requires some cooperation between players regardless of a potential adversarial situation between characters, and so I leave it up to you all as individuals to decide whether or not this is even something you want to allow and how you will react to it after-the-fact.

Just like any other interactions between characters, there can be rewards and consequences for every action, and someone who is attempting to use magic to influence another character has absolutely got to accept two key things: 1) Respecting the wishes of the other player(s) involved, and 2) accepting the outcomes of such actions, positive and negative, short- and long-term.

Quote from: drakogear
Or in a more fantasy or well... sci fi sense... Useing the old Jedi Mind Trick -waves hands around-

Though given HellBlazers post... guessing Feh is a Trydarian... for mind tricks don't work on them, only money. No money, no parts, no deal... and you won't find anyone else with a T14 Hyberdrive Generator I can promise you that :D sorry... had to... watched that movie a bit to much mesa be thinking.

Invoking Jar Jar Binks is a bannable offense. Consider yourself warned.

Though, would say there are well... a few options one could take IC if they suspect they've been well... bewitched? One... confront them directly or two... report it to the local Rofies and see them in court.... and others I can't really think of now...

Add character death, being "blacklisted" by other PC merchants once word gets around, and so on.  This is a short list of what I meant by accepting the consequences.  You may find that no one wants to do business with your character after attempting something like this, which would be a reasonable outcome that would ultimately hinder your character far more than the short-term benefits he might have gained.

Chazzler

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 08:48:09 am »
I dare your character to try a mind spell on Görmungard when he's wearing his Golden Circlet ;)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 10:41:41 am »
You never know how the merchant might react, it's true. Some might recognize what you're attempting to do, some might not, some might fall under the spell's effect, and some are literally immune to the effects. Of those that recognize what you attempted to do, some might, as Serissa suggested, attempt to run your character through with a sword or other sharp object. Others might be amused at your attempt to subvert them with magic, and decide to use you as a plaything, much like a cat with a mouse. You decide which is worse. ;)

Aphel

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 12:17:26 pm »
I'd say that you should do with your character what you think your character should do. And that's to any and all kind of characters. Mind the server and PvP rules, don't wonder if some players do not want to engage in such an RP.

Or, the tl;dr version:

Do What You Wish (but be mindful of the consequences*).

*This might or might not be limited to loss of hair, be turned into a frog (and then eaten by Deacon), death by candy, long hour work gathering CNR, a cold, slavery in the Deep, enprisonment in with Church of Lucinda, foul breath and permadeath. You have been warned.

Aerimor

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:54 pm »
Jars are lots of fun to use.
Jars can even be used to keep coins in, like
Binks, but sadly there is no interest.

Chazzler

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 07:18:17 am »
I think the proper version of the character is Jar Jar Blings now?

anything