The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Couple of Newbie Questions  (Read 348 times)

diagnull

• View Profile
    Couple of Newbie Questions
    « on: May 26, 2007, 05:18:34 am »
    Hi everyone!

I just joined and have spent a little time wondering around the Port Hempstead area.

I have a couple of questions though.

1) How can I get little Xp early on? I tried to fight a skunk and got trashed in no time (I'm a Ranger), so I think it's too early? Are there some easy quests in town...I didn't find any.

2) Also, how do I fish? I brought the pole, line, and lure but it's still not working (I think). Am I missing something, or do I need to wait?

Thanks,

-C

Talan Va'lash

Re: Couple of Newbie Questions
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 05:49:06 am »
    Quote from: diagnull
    1) How can I get little Xp early on? I tried to fight a skunk and got trashed in no time (I'm a Ranger), so I think it's too early? Are there some easy quests in town...I didn't find any.

There are a few easy scripted quests sprinkled about.

Check out the hempstead sewers and the Fort Vehl crypts. They're the 'real' starting level areas. Skunks are seriously dangerous to new characters, I think everyone got a good laugh about that the first time they came here (they're CR 4 or something.)

Get with a party. The first few levels go by very fast (intentionally) when you get with a party of similar level.

2) Also, how do I fish? I brought the pole, line, and lure but it's still not working (I think). Am I missing something, or do I need to wait?

I don't think you're missing anything... There's a specific order you have to use the stuff on each other.. I don't know it too well myself but it's written in the description of some of them I think. Either that or there's a book that the crafting merchant sells that details the process.

I don't think you need a crafters badge to fish heh.

ycleption

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 11:33:00 am »
    you can also try bow-fishing, which I would personally recommend ... shovels used to dig up worms get expensive to replace when they break (at least for a new character's budget), whereas fishing arrows are relatively inexpensive.

SquareKnot

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 05:30:15 pm »
    If you can make it to one of the Orienteering New Player Events, like [thread=116498]this one[/thread], they are a great way to see what is where without dying. You may not do much fighting, but at least someone there will hold you back when you go to charge the lethal skunks. It's some good roleplay and a lot is packed into the two hours or so you'll invest. Plus, I've taught many, many people how to fish on these trips :)

AeonBlues

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 05:50:13 pm »
    The craft merchant sells book that, that you can just look at btw, that details the art of fishing.

Some players like to solo...  To me that feels like grinding XP, and I find that traveling in groups is both more fun and safer for my character.

AeonBlues

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 03:56:56 am »
    Plus, traveling in groups lets you meet new friends.  I've got all sorts of people who I met in-game who I talk to all the time. :)

And.. well, RP.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 04:13:41 am »
    To use the fishing rod to fish...

First, purchase a Fishing Rod (normal or Pocket), line (I advise 50lbs; in my experience there's no point to buying a different line), a shovel (or two), a Copper Fly Lure, and a Copper Lure.

Now, go find "Worm Infested Soil" or "Grub Infested Soil."

Dig up bunches of worms and grubs.

Now, find yourself a school of fish.

First, equip your fishing pole.

Second, use your Fishing Line.

Third, use the bait you wish to use (Copper Fly Lure, Copper Lure, Grub Worm, or Earth Worm).

Fourth, use the fishing rod on the school of fish.

Fifth, wait. ;)

---------

To fish with a bow...

Buy a longbow or shortbow.

Buy Fishing Arrows.

Equip both.

"Bash" a school of fish.

Deal more than 5 damage. ;)

Enjoy.

Makashi

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 01:19:23 pm »
    And if you didn't know how to fish, you can now!

diagnull

• View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 02:35:36 am »
      Thanks for all the help.

I definitely plan to go with a group, but I'd like to get a little XP on my own (Loner Ranger type). I tried going with a group my first night and got lost (my fault...got distracted in the real world) and when I tried to find the group ran into some assassine vine or something. Pretty nasty. :)

Thx again everyone.

Walnutboy

• View Profile
        « Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 01:22:33 pm »
        Quote from: diagnull
        Thanks for all the help.

I definitely plan to go with a group, but I'd like to get a little XP on my own (Loner Ranger type). I tried going with a group my first night and got lost (my fault...got distracted in the real world) and when I tried to find the group ran into some assassine vine or something. Pretty nasty. :)

Thx again everyone.

I tend to do both, lone questing and also party questing.... party normally comes about after meeting something which is hard to tackle on my own, though there are times when i just tag along with others who need a meat shield! (This is a nice way to see some places i find! lol)

If you find yourself struggling to remember everyone you meet... which i do bar the few i see the most... use the journal! Its handy to note down a name, place and a date so your character can recall actually meeting someone. heh.

Wb.