The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: In-game Gambling  (Read 562 times)

drakogear

In-game Gambling
« on: September 07, 2012, 02:16:52 pm »
So been having this thought of some form of gambling in-game where the in-game character place bets with there gold. (much like RL gambling but NOT with RL money) About the only kind I can think of is a very few dice games using the the /roll #d# (#=number)

There any sort of custom cards items in-game or maybe even a gambling hall some place?

miltonyorkcastle

Re: In-game Gambling
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »
There is an IG 'card hall' ... I'll let you find out where it is through IG contacts, but it is essentially a mini-game where you can bet against NPCs or PCs.

That said, we have also held PC-run gambling events centered around card games and dice games, using dice to represent cards drawn in the case of the card games.

RollinsCat

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:22:27 pm »
The Silver Buckle has run three or so gambling events using True and the RNG.  Lance also ran a great Card Hall event where Andrew played bookie...so it happens.

drakogear

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:44:37 pm »
Hmmmm, may have to find this place some time.

Though aside from gambling halls is there any way to play gambling games outside say... in the wild?

Had a though of a rogue carrying a pack full of gambling games that he might pull out and challenge anyone he's grouped with wile there camping.

RollinsCat

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 02:57:12 pm »
Vingt-et-un

In and Out

Two dice games that can be done solely off the RNG, anytime, anyplace.  Just rp the dice.

lonnarin

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:34:32 pm »
I'm a big fan of "Demon Dice"  from The Witcher.  It's kind of like poker with 5 six-sided die.  roll 5d6 and look for pairs, straights, three, four and five-of-a-kinds.  Hold the dice you like and roll the ones you want to discard/redraw.  The second hand between both players is tallied with how many pairs you get.  So one pair is beaten by two pairs, three of a kind beat both, three-of-a-kind and a pair beats that, a straight (1-2-3-4-5 or 2-3-4-5-6) beat those, four-of-a-kind and five-of-a-kind beat those.

so in rising order

highest dice (rare not to get a pair, but I suppose 1-3-4-5-6 is possible)
one pair
two pairs
three of a kind
three of a kind plus a pair
straight 1-2-3-4-5
straight 2-3-4-5-6
four of a kind
five of a kind

Typically I do two rounds with one discard, but you can add rounds for discards/rerolls or go flat out 1 round with no discards for game style.  With multiple rounds, you can raise and fold accordingly, betting on your discards/rerolls to get you a better combo.

Other variations, you can roll 4 dice and make the 5th a wildcard.  The 5th die remains undetermined until you want to declare your combo in the final round.  I call that one "Blind Man's Bluff"

You could also go "Snake Eyes Wild" and make the ones all wild cards.

Or you can make the game "Loser's Fortune" and go the reverse order of winning combos.  So 6-6-6-6-6 is the worst and 1-3-4-5-6 is the best.  The object then is to have the "worst" hand to win.  You want to discard those pairs and high dice, shoot for the worst possible combo.

drakogear

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 11:43:39 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
I'm a big fan of "Demon Dice"  from The Witcher.  It's kind of like poker with 5 six-sided die.  roll 5d6 and look for pairs, straights, three, four and five-of-a-kinds.  Hold the dice you like and roll the ones you want to discard/redraw.  The second hand between both players is tallied with how many pairs you get.  So one pair is beaten by two pairs, three of a kind beat both, three-of-a-kind and a pair beats that, a straight (1-2-3-4-5 or 2-3-4-5-6) beat those, four-of-a-kind and five-of-a-kind beat those.

so in rising order

highest dice (rare not to get a pair, but I suppose 1-3-4-5-6 is possible)
one pair
two pairs
three of a kind
three of a kind plus a pair
straight 1-2-3-4-5
straight 2-3-4-5-6
four of a kind
five of a kind

Typically I do two rounds with one discard, but you can add rounds for discards/rerolls or go flat out 1 round with no discards for game style.  With multiple rounds, you can raise and fold accordingly, betting on your discards/rerolls to get you a better combo.

Other variations, you can roll 4 dice and make the 5th a wildcard.  The 5th die remains undetermined until you want to declare your combo in the final round.  I call that one "Blind Man's Bluff"

You could also go "Snake Eyes Wild" and make the ones all wild cards.

Or you can make the game "Loser's Fortune" and go the reverse order of winning combos.  So 6-6-6-6-6 is the worst and 1-3-4-5-6 is the best.  The object then is to have the "worst" hand to win.  You want to discard those pairs and high dice, shoot for the worst possible combo.

Did kinda like that game too though the problem with dice games like that were they rely on the sides of the dice rather then the total kinda make it hart to use with the /roll emote where it only gives you the total.

Though I suppose having the player role 1d6 (1 six sided dice) about 5 times might work rather then rolling 5d6. (5 six sided dice)

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:59:09 pm »
Our die roll commands do not just give a total.  They give the result of each die as well as the sum of all dice.

anything