The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Finding other people's stuff.  (Read 341 times)

ycleption

Finding other people's stuff.
« on: April 12, 2007, 01:06:20 am »
So a few hours ago, I found something on the ground. I asked on the DM channel what I should do, and got no response. I went ahead and picked it up and posted here IC to try and find the owner.
http://www.layonara.com/wild-surge-inn/115291-found-weapon.html

Is there an official line about what one is supposed to do in such situations? I just feel kinda weird about just picking somebody else's stuff up, even if it is with intent to return it.
Thanks

The following users thanked this post: Serissa

darkstorme

Re: Finding other people's stuff.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 01:56:22 am »
Picking it up is the best bet, otherwise someone is likely to lose a weapon they'd miss.  You've handled this well, I think.

twidget658

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:57:11 am »
Yep...best thing you can do is to pick it up so it is not deleted and post here. Someone will more than likely be very happy. So on there behalf, thanks for helping another PC.

Previous post:
 http://www.layonara.com/general-discussion/99033-weapon-found-port-hampshire.html

RP wise: If no one claims it, I would file a claims report after 30 days to keep or sell the weapon.

Reality: Should be taken care of through approval from the Layo staff.

osxmallard

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:10:33 am »
OOC, that's a nice action as a player.

IC, you can go either way on this... a neutral or evil character finds the weapon... why not keep or sell it immediately?  Or hold it for ransom from the player that lost it.

Kindo

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:09:50 am »
When I found a sword, way back when, I went to the local inn and posted up a "Found!" notice, just like you did, in character. A description of the weapon was required before it was returned, but the player who had lost it, was incredibly happy that this sword, which was quite valuable, had not gotten lost in time. We also played out the return in-game, which was interesting, to say the least. Seeing how I was an Aeridinite, and the owner of the sword was a Dark Elf. Heh.

So yeah, make in-character notices and put up on bulletin boards in the closest settlement, but feel free to add an OOC note at the end as well. It can lead to fun interactions, and definitely lead to happy players.

Faldred

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 08:42:05 am »
Quote from: ycleption
Is there an official line about what one is supposed to do in such situations? I just feel kinda weird about just picking somebody else's stuff up, even if it is with intent to return it.
Thanks

Well, items left on the ground increase lag, so picking it up is a good thing.  It will also eventually get "cleaned up" if it is left on the ground too long.

As far as what to do with it... posting a "lost" notice is usually the best bet if the item is in any way valuable.

kuchida

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 12:13:41 am »
    Quote from: osxmallard
    OOC, that's a nice action as a player.

IC, you can go either way on this... a neutral or evil character finds the weapon... why not keep or sell it immediately?  Or hold it for ransom from the player that lost it.

But the dropping of the item isn't necessarily an "IC" thing. It isn't always just from overstuffing inventory, sometimes it's a weird bug or lag or whatever, sometimes it's because the "drop" button is close to "use". I've had a few things disappear from my inventory mysteriously and not from obvious error on my part (though there has been plenty of that too.) So the fact that you found an item does not always mean the character herself should have dropped it IC, it should be (in my opinion of course) treated as a OOC player or game mistake.

So if something ends up on the ground I think it should be picked up and returned no matter what, no messing around with the concept of "my character is evil" and all that.  The handling of the return should be a player-to-player thing, and if the evil party needs to show how evil they are by demanding a reward or making nasty comments afterward then, whatever, but only after the item is returned.

Acacea

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 12:44:42 am »
    I'm of the opinion that this is a case where strict roleplay is not always what is great for the interactions between players. Like said above, most of the time no one even means to drop things, and considers it an OOC hassle that never should have occurred when they have to find new ones. I play a chaotic character, and there is no particular urge she would have to report to the authorities or post a lost and found, so I have never done either of these.

What I have done is look for who is online and in nearby areas and just send a tell asking if they are missing something. It's easier for me, because then we can arrange OOC to meet each other IC, with their character searching for what is theirs... I may roll a bluff or something but in the end I'll always give the item back, whether it's "oh I found it by the docks, here you go!" or "fine, take it, I don't want your germs in my pack."

It's just the whole OOC player interaction thing, I guess. This may differ for other people but I'd never want to keep something lost in this fashion. I can easily find IC excuses to do it, but it's hard for me to find OOC excuses for not doing it.

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:01:22 am »
    there is a policy i was told about by Dorg. I imagine this applies for anything found on the ground that would belong to someone else.

Acacea

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 02:22:44 am »
    That was for an ox pack, though, which is a container you must actively open and remove things from (hence the fear of theft accusations), whereas the question of the thread was referring to items on the ground which will disappear if not picked up before someone enters/exits the area. :)

Hellblazer

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 02:24:22 am »
    Ah oh well thanks.