The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Freedom of religious rights?  (Read 151 times)

Frances

Freedom of religious rights?
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:04:55 pm »
Quote from: osxmallard
... my freedom of religious rights.

This thread got me to thinking... is there such a thing on Layonara? If so, is it wide spread?  I know there are places where it is not (e.g. Prantz).

In the same vein, are there religious conflicts, beyond simply "Toranites and Xeenites don't get along"?  I mean, are there wars/battles/conflicts driven mainly by "we, the righteous followers of god X shall smite those evil, decadent followers of god Y"?

Leanthar

Re: Freedom of religious rights?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:10:03 pm »
No.

Sure there are characters that may feel that way (NPC's etc.) but as a general that is not the case and I will do my best to ensure we do not go down that path. I don't mind conflict between the gods (and their temples/shrines etc.) and the characters following the gods (and indeed there is), but it should not turn in to a religious movement as a whole. That is not something I want in Layonara and I hope I never have to step in to stop something like that.

I will leave it at that for now.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:32:23 pm »
Am I reading that right?  The idea of Groups of PCs/NPCs following God X fighting groups of PCs/NPCs following God Y is something you want to avoid?

Woulda thought that made for an interesting story, but I think the Flames and community angst that would cause is prolly why it's best avoided.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:45:03 pm »
Um no...he wants to avoid an all-out holy war between faiths, be it PC or NPC driven.

Conflict is OK, but roving bands of Toranites scouring the lands "cleansing" all those not on Toran's "Happy List" is not.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:30:38 pm »
While I think an all-out Holy War would be an awesome plot device, I understand the reasons for L's decision.

[/cheerleading] ;)

What else is there to say?

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:32:43 pm »
Ah, okay.  Holy Wars = BAD.  gotchya...  *goes back to randomly breaking Pyrtechon Statues for Fun*

Script Wrecked

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 01:52:39 pm »
*Pyrtechon breaks some of his favorite Shiff statues out of spite*

;)

Nehetsrev

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 05:09:34 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
Ah, okay.  Holy Wars = BAD.  gotchya...  *goes back to randomly breaking Pyrtechon Statues for Fun*

The ironic part of this being that since Pyrtechon is a god of destruction, Shiff's actually doing his work and acting as a Pyrtechonite.  ;)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 05:12:49 pm »
Don't start with that...  Acacea and Jaelle already talked about that to Shiff....  >.<

Gulnyr

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 05:30:10 pm »
Ha!  I remember that quest with all the flags and chests, and Jennara took extra time to very neatly prepare the Pyrtechon flag to be placed very nice and orderly into the proper chest.  "Take that, enemy of order!  Your chest is the neatest and tidiest of all!"  Small victories...

Hey, wouldn't it be nice if Pyrtechonites thought globally and acted locally, starting at home and leading by example...  hehe

Nehetsrev

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 07:22:10 pm »
Quote from: Gulnyr
Ha!  I remember that quest with all the flags and chests, and Jennara took extra time to very neatly prepare the Pyrtechon flag to be placed very nice and orderly into the proper chest.  "Take that, enemy of order!  Your chest is the neatest and tidiest of all!"  Small victories...

Hey, wouldn't it be nice if Pyrtechonites thought globally and acted locally, starting at home and leading by example...  hehe

yes I can imagine how that might go...

"Look at that shabbilly kept yard with all that broken stuff laying around", the nobleman says as his carriage is drawn past.  Referencing the old and worn farmer's cart with one side, it's weight supported on a wooden block due to a missing wheel, "A disgrace!"  Seeing a boy run past giggling mischievously followed closely by his younger sister in tears and toting a headless doll, "Did you see that!  The child broke that toy and enjoyed making his sister cry!  The whole lot of them must be Pyrtechonites!  Burn the lot and send them to jail I say!"

lonnarin

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 03:45:07 pm »
There so needs to be a street preacher who prophelytizes Pyrtechon's will by telling everybody about the GLORIOUS lake of hellfire and brimstone.  "And then maggots shall feast on thy eyes and flesh roast right on the bone, the smoke choking your breathe away and the legions of demons stabbing with fiery pitchforks... all that and more for those of us who have faith in the great destructor!  Convert now, lest you sit on the comfy couch of Deliar in fiscal luxury or drink of the soothing, healing waters of Aeriden!  Cast off the buxom, sweet-smelling leather harlots of Xeen and her eternal harem!  Let no lesser god stand in the way of our rightful place, writhing with agony in the Ancient Red's toothy maw... hey!  Where is everybody going?  Get back here lest you be SAVED!"

LightlyFrosted

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 05:18:25 pm »
Which is why deep in my paranoid imaginings, I can't help but wonder if a bunch of pyrtechonites managed to arrange the attack on Fisterion.  Figure this - they get some innocuous folk to attack Fisterion.  Fisty goes into a rage, and organizes attacks, spreading wanton destruction, thus fulfilling Pyrtechon's will.  If Fisterion decides to sue for peace, anyone he's negotiating it with is now doing so from a position of weakness.

anything