The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Grave marker for perm'd character  (Read 971 times)

Dorganath

Re: Grave marker for perm'd character
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 08:48:22 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
Well would we be able to put something in Haven, or not?  Thats really what we are asking here.

Yes, Shiff. I understand what is being asked.  There's absolutely no need for attitude or hostility, as I am asking about the suitability of an alternative to the original request for two good reasons.

First, other members of the community have brought up very good points about its originally-requested placement.  Second, someone higher up the ladder than myself has stated a preference that such memorials be put into Willow's Weep.  It was not stated as a requirement, but given that said person does not normally make requests like this, I'm strongly inclined to give it some consideration.  

I fully understand your preferences here, and those too are part of the consideration.  

So I'm not saying "No" and I'm not saying "Yes" to anything in particular here. I'm trying to determine what is universally acceptable and appropriate.  So please help work this out with us. I'm sure we can come to an agreement.

One option I had thought to propose was an "official" memorial in Willows Weep, with whatever description you see fit, and then a static (i.e. no description attached) marker of some sort in Haven that would have RP value but no mechanical use.

So let us please continue a constructive discussion on what is possible, reasonable and acceptable.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 08:50:07 pm »
well if something static was placed in Haven, would it at least be label as a gravestone for Shiff?

Dorganath

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 08:59:25 pm »
The term "static" means it is visually and mechanically a decoration.  It is not clickable or inspectable in any way. It's just an object.

Again, it is one of several possibilities.

EdTheKet

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 02:28:07 am »
Quote from: Dorganath
Well crud. That's surely an oversight, or it wasn't recognized as a request to put something in.

My thoughts exactly, it must have been an oversight.

Dorganath

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 07:32:19 pm »
Alright, I've given this some thought and discussion, and here's what was determined to be the best overall option, as well as the fairest to everyone. I've given due consideration to the desires of the player, the RP reasoning of the player, the character's survivors, the precedents set in other cases, the RP value of the intended placement and various other issues.

Shiff is entitled to a "living" monument in the Hall of Heroes without stipulation, other than the description shown when examining his monument is appropriate. There is no charge for this.

Shiff may have a statue like those in the Arms and the Angel's guild hall inside a PC-owned structure (house, guild hall, etc.) provided that the owner of of the structure agrees.  An appropriate description is permitted for this as well. There will be a charge for such a monument, assuming all other preconditions are met.

Any sort of "public" monument, meaning something out in the open or in an NPC area, will be limited to a static marker of some sort.  By "static" I mean that it will not be clickable, inspectable or active in any way.  There will be no label or description on such a monument. Those who wish it placed will know its significance, and it is up to them, should they desire, to inform others of what it is.  Its placement must be in due consideration of others who use the area, both PCs and NPCs. Specifically, it may be in Haven, but perhaps not placed in that area up on the cliff that has RP value for many. As for a charge, I'm inclined to place this in without cost, though if not, the cost will be minimal.

On this last, I'll mention that it's consistent with what has been afforded to at least two WL characters, who have markers for their deceased parents as a result of their WLDQ. These markers are "unmarked" in any mechanical sense, and their locations are not publicized nor are they in well-traveled or highly-used/visible locations. With all due deference and respect to Shiff the character, the accomplishments he's achieved and the lives he has touched, we must draw the line somewhere, and that line needs to be fair across the board.

There is an update due very soon. If you want this in soon, please work with me to get things finalized.

osxmallard

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 07:52:40 pm »
If it is not labelled, remains static (non-selectable) and doesn't look like a 'gravestone' -- I see no reason why an object cannot be placed near the pool on the cliff.

Weeblie

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 05:24:00 am »
Quote from: osxmallard
If it is not labelled, remains static (non-selectable) and doesn't look like a 'gravestone' -- I see no reason why an object cannot be placed near the pool on the cliff.

Because the pool is one of the rare locations that has consistently been used as a romantic setting.

It doesn't really matter that it would be static and wouldn't look like a gravestone. Once one gets to know that the momument (regardless of type) the "feel" of the location would inevitably be changed. The first thoughts one get when entering the area would instead be having memories of Shiff comming up (most likely IC-ly for those who knew him).

The counter-question to your statement would be: Why can't the object be placed away from the pool on the cliff? Doesn't have to be on the other side of the area. But merely so it wouldn't be "the" object that tries to get one's attention, when one's otherwise occupied with smelling the flower (or whatever).

Eight-Bit

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 01:02:12 am »
Quote from: Blackguy
*smiles* Only one person have ever been buried there, the first character that permed, and 5 years later noone have decided to be placed there, because they have ties otherwhere.

Deathward is fer pansies.

Sure was a lot of Death Slaadi.

Falonthas

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2008, 04:52:55 pm »
i sure hope someone got the hin out of shiffs pack where he was sleepin before they did whatever they did with his body

maybe just a static flower like the blue rose thing instead of plaques or stones and things

then it wouldnt stand out as out of place no matter where it is placed

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 05:44:53 pm »
Dorg and I met IG and he showed me the options.  It's up to the Boss Men to decide what happens now.