The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Half Orc's  (Read 2502 times)

steverimmer

Half Orc's
« on: May 08, 2016, 06:25:59 pm »
Hi...it's been a long time but at last I have a proper windows computer and am seriously thinking of coming back to the game.I have a question though, whatever happened to the orc's and is it possible to create a half orc character anymore?  

The following users thanked this post: Acacea, willhoff

Acacea

Hey man, Bil left his hat
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 09:37:04 pm »
Hey man, Bil left his hat here, yes he did! Half-things of any heritage can only have been born before 1421, which was a reaaaally long time ago in speedy NWN land, so unfortunately half-orcs are no longer viable in that timeline. Even at a more reasonable rate, insert plug for alt timeline here, half-orcs would be getting on.

Full orcs are still around! I believe they are subbable - row would have the last word on that - but since CN and the Evils are restricted, you'd have to sub as TN. Unless you were Az'attan (for good alignment). Hope that is helpful!

steverimmer

Thanks that is very
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 09:05:09 pm »

Thanks that is very helpful...just got the game working again so should be making an appearence soon :)

Zark the confused

I'm just curious I can't seem
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:02:41 pm »

I'm just curious I can't seem to find out why there are no more half races, can someone tell me why lore wise or point me to the part in the history nevermind found it, also I do not know why I double post.

Acacea

It's not really something
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:28:12 pm »

It's not really something that's taught in schools, or anything - people for the most part don't really know and come up with their own explanations. The common knowledge is that there used to be things like half orcs and half elves, and then they just... stopped being born. Families prayed to shrines and all that hoping to be blessed with children, so on the lower level people think they are just unlucky. When zoomed out, it was happening to everyone. I imagine any number of stories have been invented to explain it. One of them is that there was a battle between Aeridin and Corath, though which one is to blame shifts with the telling (this is referenced in the timeline). With Aeridin's stances on "purity" and such though, I think the trend is toward the halt being due to Aeridin cracking down. 

For more specifics, I suggest you ask in-game!

lonnarin

Mongrel Men shouldn't really
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 11:12:00 pm »

Mongrel Men shouldn't really be born anymore.  Ogrillon either.

I think however that subraces can still interbreed.  Like gold dwarves and shield dwarves and deep dwarves, wood elves, moon elves, wild elves, etc.  I may be wrong however.  I think they just become whatever the more prevalent DNA wins out for the resulting subrace of the offspring, with minor aesthetic traits shared.

I think the main reason we went for no half-breeds was to phase out the tieflings and the aasimar which are part of D&D/planescape properties.  I do miss half ogres and half giants however.  Wish we could just make a pure ogre race for them, as their loss pretty much halts any PC bothering to worship Grannoch.  And being able to use two Greatswords at once! (JUSTICE!)

Also, I was playing around with some custom skins for monsters and found a VERY awesome half-giant variation that was far better than the one we were using way back.  They look like huge lurking half ogres with a silly shuffle walk with dragging knuckles.  I was further playing around with that model and adding wings, tails, skin color etc and wound up putting together Gargoyle models that look on par with the cartoon Gargoyles.  Fully emoteable too!  An idea perhaps for some NPCs on an upcoming quest. ;)

Acacea

Planetouched races went out
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 06:48:11 pm »

Planetouched races went out because of the new cosmology. I do mourn Grannoch's followers, though it is somewhat aligned with the decline of her people in general, heh. Bit difficult to play a full-fledged frost giant showing up in Center, anyway. 

Edit- why did my hands write full-fletched instead of full-fledged? That's bizarre. It would have been funny if it was an elf or something.

lonnarin

Far-Fetched or...
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 06:08:37 pm »

Far-Fetched or... AWESOME?

Reminds me to have more malevolent witches and warlocks in my sessions that change players into crazy things. :D

Except the dwarves... oh so many issues appearance warping a dwarf... *shifty eyes at Great Ape Bobre*

jadewillow

Its clear that half-races are
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 09:34:24 pm »

Its clear that half-races are no longer born due to IG LORE and due to the timing all remaining half-races should be dead at this time. Mechanically I believe most half-races were sub-races or such. Half-orc might be the only exception, where it is a primary race mechanically when creating. Is there a subrace that would make sense for Half-Orcs that would work a bit better IG now that all half-races should technically be dead. Something completely cosmetic?

Tane has a hard time explaining his green skin these days.

Thanks.

Acacea

I think Tane's fine. Even
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 09:54:22 pm »

I think Tane's fine. Even going by the default NWN timeline and acknowledging that he should be dead, so should numerous other adventurers that remain playable. There is no reason a player of half-races should be any different, there, and I imagine they'll stay as the race they were submitted as until every non-elf v1 character is also committed to the fire ;)

That said, it hasn't quite been 40 years since the locks tightened on the half races by the player's alternate timeline, so while he's definitely getting on for a half-orc, he's not quite so old that the memories of others like him have been erased. Join the rebellion

jadewillow

Thanks for that perspective.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 08:52:28 pm »

Thanks for that perspective. I'm not sure I how to do the age calculation, but how old would Tane be now? He was approved April 29th 2010 and he was 45 then.