The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: How can you rp when everything is more powerful then you  (Read 1456 times)

darkstorme

Re: How can you rp when everything is more powerful then you
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 11:28:47 am »
Only straight level is considered when calculating RP/Quest XP.  ECL is not an issue.

Guardian 452

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 12:44:29 pm »
GM questing is definatly the way to go with ECL characters!

Eegxeta

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 04:26:43 pm »
ECL characters?

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 04:31:39 pm »
See [LORE]EffectiveCharacterLevel[/LORE]

Pandapuff7

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 06:54:43 pm »
Hey Eegxeta, I know your pain. I can agree that it does make you pretty limited. If your ever online and are avalable to play hit up my character Alestir Brighton, hes a low level character as well!

-Virgil

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 10:22:28 am »
I can attest that Alestir is a brave little rogue, who has battled goblins and kobolds, giant snakes and scorpions, all while loving carting around an old cat in a bag.

xsweetpeaxs

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 10:51:24 am »
My sister and I have been a part of Layo community for over a year now. We understand how you feel! ;) With that being said, I'll give you an example to cheer you up: when we first started, we had difficulties finding groups to run along with. Majority of the players on Layo have long developed their charcs before we started. Most of the time, we joined high level group to explore Layo. We were getting 1xp per kill. :/ Imagine doing that for 3-4 hrs consistently. The main purposes of our chars were to act as a healer for the party. Clearly, they didn't need our healing as they were more than capable of on their own. But we remained persistent and tagged along even though we were only getting 1xp. It was fun to RP with the group and also exploring the areas that Layo has to offer. Additionally, once you get to know the players on Layo, everyone is more than willing to help when they have time. :) This is something that all of us experienced so don't feel that you're alone on this aspect.

Besides RPing or grinding, if there's no one online, take up Crafting. It's open to all level range.

mixafix

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 11:08:49 am »
Here is a wild thought or two - which I think would be difficult on the practical level but however have a place in such a discussion.

If levels are not important, could RP be enhanced by narrowing the level range people play at ? IE say we all play within a small range of levels say 5-10 difference between starting and finishing level?

Or as someone mentioned they have characters at different levels, so essentially a PC to fit in with different parties. This kind of supports people want to play characters around the same level as others. A lot of players here have such a mix and have created this over time.

However diminishing player base etc - should new starts immediately perhaps, or after a settling period, be allowed - say for example 20 free levels, to be shared among one or more of their characters at their discretion. (or against some agreed constraints)

Some people like to do all the growing/grinding (you don't have to take them)

For those that just want to be part of things - especially the casual player, you get a chance to roll dice and RP right alongside others on some of the big quests and are not seen as healers, loot carriers, note takers and other reasons given for RPing when you cannot compete.

There is an assumption here in this idea that a player can RP a bigger pc as easy as a smaller one. Therefore how and when you agree upon that idea is relevant to when a player could take up such an opportunity. IE if you dont think a new player should be allowed this opportunity until they have proved themselves then you would need to defins that appropriate time.

But whenever you reach that decision then playing a part, whatever part, does not diminish the effort put into RPing (ie can someone play a preprepared character essentially - or do you feel you need to earn all these levels (we often say this game is not about) to be able to play them ?

Not sure personally. But this just seemed a natural follow on thought to this thread?

You could of course assign some baggage/personal history on forums/PM that players get to play out when starting out with an accelerated PC (see I even got a name in for it)

anyway.........?

anything