The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: How to RP Diety Relationships w/ topsy-turvy Like vs dislike?  (Read 4392 times)

Acacea

Re: How to RP Diety Relationships w/ topsy-turvy Like vs dislike
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2007, 05:17:55 pm »
It is not at all required for druids to have a patron deity. Many serve only nature and see the gods as simply a part of the whole. Others do not, and serve nature within the scope of dogma, instead. It depends solely on the druid, as they are a wildly diverse bunch with a common purpose and place.

(Edit: Dorg is super fast. Too slow.)

Hellblazer

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2007, 05:23:09 pm »
Dorg Sorry mate but the both links you gave are not working. (at least for me)

EdTheKet

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2007, 05:26:59 pm »
GM Quest. Character Falls in battle. Only cleric that can do the raising has a god that is the enemy of the god of the char that fell.

What happens?

I only ask because I'd hate to see a character miss a quest for falling in battle when there's someone there that can raise them

This happened a few times on my quests. There have been players who have been dead for the entire quest as there were no friendly/allied clerics around willing to raise them. And guess what, they did not mind at all, they stayed logged in for the entire thing, lying dead :)

That being said, as it is required for druids to have a patron deity,
Druids do not need a patron deity.

That being said, as it is required for druids to have a patron deity,
Political reasons?

Acacea

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2007, 05:28:15 pm »
LORE: Character Submission
LORE: Druid Information

Regarding being the only cleric on a TPK quest, sucks. Happens. Some may have exceptions, depending on circumstances. I can think of a few exceptions that have occurred that I give a big thumbs up to for the roleplay. It would be pretty rare, though.

Dorganath

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2007, 05:28:25 pm »
Bah!  Updated the links.  Sorry! :(

Hellblazer

« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2007, 05:32:45 pm »
Eh not your fault mate, it happens. :)

AeonBlues

« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »
Oh brother.  That would imply that all this hassle is completely my fault.  Did lore on this change?  I seem to have the image, "All divine casters must have a patron deity" wood burned on my forehead.  Though I have always RP'd my character that the great cycle comes before deities.

AeonBlues

Acacea

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2007, 05:56:50 pm »
Druids have never required a deity... that's always been the case :) I think it's that way in a lot of other places, though. Hence the comment I made about it in the longer one about it - "...Sometimes I think the worlds where all divine magic comes from gods, period, have it easier, because then suddenly you can actually have a ranger or druid of a deity that serves nature to a better degree than a 'cleric' class, but is still devout and not pounded out by the less suited cleric..." hehe.

Dorganath

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2007, 06:11:35 pm »
Yeah, there's some confusion due to the mechanics that essentially say that druidic magic is "divine" in nature. This is to separate it from "arcane" magic, which is the magic of sorcerers, wizards and bards.  Rangers have the same problem, as their magic is considered "divine" as well.

However, only the magic and powers of Clerics, Paladins and Champions is a direct gift from a specific god.

Falonthas

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2007, 06:23:46 pm »
does this mean that if we remove any diety from the field it wont effect anything from a mechanics standpoint??

Acacea

« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2007, 06:28:54 pm »
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you remove a deity from the deity field, you will be considered as neutral to all in terms of cleric spells and the penalties on Raise Dead and Resurrection, if that is what you are asking.

Falonthas

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2007, 06:30:14 pm »
yes i know this from a layo standpoint but will not having a diety in field cause nwn issues about valid chars  or other such mechanical aspects

Acacea

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2007, 06:39:52 pm »
No...not at all. You can have clerics without deities, too. Just not in Layo, from an RP standpoint. Some worlds require deities for all divine magic, however, even going so far as to code systems preventing spells from being cast without x deity, and so forth, or penalties/bonuses for deity favored equipment, etc.

(In worlds like these, there are lists of deities that have druids or rangers. For example, Katia would have druids, but not Toran. Thus you could not be a Toranite druid, only one that actually provided druidic connections. Same with rangers. There's also a lot more gods covering different and overlapping spectrums to choose from in those worlds, though. Usually FR, which has a ton for different regions and stuff. Here, deities to druids are often just lip service like any other sunday worshipper, completely different from the cleric interpretation.)

Pseudonym

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2007, 07:16:23 pm »
Dorg, can you reword your earlier posts as to how the deity relationships work for me.

Cheers, Pseudo.

Dorganath

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2007, 07:28:15 pm »
Quote from: Pseudonym
Dorg, can you reword your earlier posts as to how the deity relationships work for me.

Cheers, Pseudo.

Nice try! :p

Tanman

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2007, 08:08:44 pm »
Quote from: Hellblazer
Since you don't know that, would your deity really frown on your for being generous and compassionate, when you have no clue who this person is?
I think the diety would frown if their "divine powers" (in the case of clerics and paladins, especially when  it came to those people who  worship an enemy deity.

It seems that you assume that all deities are compassionate and kind. That is hardly the case. I can hardly imagine Corath/Pyrecteron playing pleasantries to their clerics when they show compassion to the fallen, especially when they are an worship an enemy deity.

Hellblazer

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2007, 09:06:21 pm »
No I'm basing this on the fact that the cleric would act out of ignorance. In all the time that I plaid here, only 3 times have I seen anyone use deity relation, I was one of those.

I do believe that my statement did ask, would your god hold it against the person who is committing these action or at your expenses. Obviously if you're character is following an evil align god, the god would hold it against the cleric even if the cleric did not know. On the other side of the spectrum there would be a good chance a good align god wouldn't hold it against his cleric, if he saw that his cleric truly acted out of compassion.

That is my assumption really and this could greatly vary from one GM to an other.

Pseudonym

« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2007, 09:19:31 pm »
Divine relation is what? A level 0 spell? I would have thought a cleric, champion or whomever is the focus of this debate would/should absolutely make liberal usage of this spell. I don't think I have ever been on an adventure with DMOE's Muireann where she hasn't just either cast this at the very start on someone new to her or asked people point blank who their deity was.
Having said that, I'm not sure if the spell works on a raiseable corpse. A question for someone more mechanics savvy that I. If it didn't, maybe an Aeridinte would 'risk it' and raise them but I wouldn't imagine too many clerics of the other God/desses might feel such an obligation.

lonnarin

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2007, 09:23:21 pm »
Quote from: Pseudonym

Having said that, I'm not sure if the spell works on a raiseable corpse. A question for someone more mechanics savvy that I.

Ask your local temple shop about the Eye of the Soul Stone for that. ;)

Honora

« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2007, 09:23:51 pm »
It CANNOT be emphasized enough then, over and over, that the person on the receiving end of the Divine Relations DOES NOT KNOW IT HAS BEEN CAST.  Corba went through this with Jaren, back in the day - she cast it on him and he never let her forget it, reminding her in character that it was "rude".  And this was a GM!

Divine Relations can't be seen by the recipient.  Just keep reminding yourself of that...and use it!