The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: immunity to illusion question  (Read 559 times)

jrizz

immunity to illusion question
« on: December 31, 2011, 01:48:56 am »
If you have a item that bestows immunity to Illusion which of the illusion spells does this work against?

I am guessing these for sure:
Color Spray
Mass Blindness-Deafness
Phantasmal Killer
Silence
Weird
Shades (for these: Cone of Cold
, Fireball, and Wall of Fire)

Not these:
Improved Invisibility
Invisibility
Invisibility Sphere
Continual Flame

These I am not sure about:
(I would think that it would work against any concealment or displacement but I dont know)  
Displacement
Ethereal Visage
Ghostly Visage
Greater Shadow Conjuration
Shadow Conjuration
Shadow Shield

Anyone know how this works for sure?

darkstorme

Re: immunity to illusion question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:21:48 am »
I'd have to check the spellscripts to be certain, but IIRC, immunity to Illusion spells only apply to spells that are cast with the immune individual as the target.

So anything with the caster as the target (Shadow shield, displacement, etc.) would have no save, and therefore immunity would not apply.  It's not how it works in D&D, but is one of the limitations of the engine.

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:55 pm »
I think the descriptor you're looking for here is "hostile" spells.  Immunity vs. Illusion doesn't prevent Invisibility from being cast upon an immune individual, nor does it allow them to see through Invisibility cast upon another individual, since Invisibility is not a hostile spell.

The immunity calculations are not explicitly located in the spell scripts as such. I believe they're handled by ResistSpell() (called through MyResistSpell() more often than not). As such, it would take some testing to be absolutely sure of whether or not a given spell would be negated by Illusion immunity. However, I'm 99% sure it works off of the "hostile" classification, as given in spells.2da.

jrizz

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:57:05 pm »
So then immunity to illusions will only protect against these:
Color Spray
 Mass Blindness-Deafness
 Phantasmal Killer
 Silence
 Weird

(I took shades out since the description says that in terms of NWN shadow spells are no different then the real spells. They are just cast at a lower level)

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 06:42:18 pm »
Correct.  The Shadow Conjuration/Shades versions of spells are flagged as their usual school, not Illusion.

anything