The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: May I Create a “NPC” Shopkeeper of Saddlebag  (Read 454 times)

Riven

May I Create a “NPC” Shopkeeper of Saddlebag
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:02:05 pm »
Hello!

I would like to create Tinpin Fairtrader, effectively an NPC shopkeeper of Saddlebag.

I promise that I will use Tinpin entirely in a NPC role to add life to the shop, and make the shop run smoothly.

* He will always be 1st level.
* He will never adventure or acquire XP
* He will never acquire gear of any sort, other than normal clothing.
* He will never acquire coin.
* He will always be at the Saddlebag Shop, unless a short errand is needed in the town of Leringard (for example, to guide a lost customer to the shop).

Here’s why Tinpin enhances the world:
Being able to inhabit Tinpin and interact with customers brings life to the shop.

The other reasons for my request:
When I designed the Barter shop format of Saddlebag, I hoped it would be mostly self-managing. It is not. Thus, Riven is often interrupted from adventures or exploring or gathering of herbals with questions or a need to return to the shop to sort things out. Riven may be hundreds of miles away, and it makes no sense that he could sail or jog his way to the shop in a matter of minutes, to handle the issues that arise.

If I have Tinpin at the shop, then when I get a “Tell” from someone, or a PM, I could log in and control Tinpin – to interact with and guide customers, to check the lens pricing of an item,  and to take items that have been placed in incorrect chests and place them in the correct chests. Also, once I've logged out, I have the information I need to respond to threads regarding the shop.

If the answer is “Yes”, then do I need to submit it to the New Character Submission, or do I just craft Tinpin and get him to the shop?

Thank you!
~Mark

Lance Stargazer

Re: May I Create a “NPC” Shopkeeper of Saddlebag
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 03:12:07 pm »
Hello Riven

Just a clarification .

Are you asking for an NPC to be Added to the shop, or to create a character to play as NPC and shop keeper ?

Riven

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:21:11 pm »
Clarification: I am seeking to create a character I can play as an npc shopkeeper. He will always be 1st level, no gear, no coin, and solely devoted to bringing life to the shop.
thanks!

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 04:27:14 pm »
Every character that you want to play has to pass thru the submission process, there is sadly no Commoner class or something so you have to actually submit the character for the use in game, how you manage it its up to you of course.  you may even put him as no bound to the stones , but he has to be submitted thru the character approval process anyway.

Hope this clarifies it

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:58:18 pm »
I might be wrong, but I think the owner of the Twin Dragon Inn can also request an NPC placed in their propery through the House Remodelling Requests Thread.

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 06:13:49 pm »
But that NPC will not interact with customers (save perhaps in the same fashion hostesses do).

Riven

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »
Thanks All!

One reason i'm posting here first is that I know that a player can't have two of their characters in the same guild. Saddlebag is not exactly a guild, but it's close enough so that I assume that the rule applies. Therefore, I'm requesting an exception, with the strict limitations I listed regarding Tinpin staying 1st level, no adventuring, no gear, no gold, etc.

Quote from: Riven
Hello!

I would like to create Tinpin Fairtrader, effectively an NPC shopkeeper of Saddlebag.

I promise that I will use Tinpin entirely in a NPC role to add life to the shop, and make the shop run smoothly.

* He will always be 1st level.
* He will never adventure or acquire XP
* He will never acquire gear of any sort, other than normal clothing.
* He will never acquire coin.
* He will always be at the Saddlebag Shop, unless a short errand is needed in the town of Leringard (for example, to guide a lost customer to the shop).

Here’s why Tinpin enhances the world:
Being able to inhabit Tinpin and interact with customers brings life to the shop.

The other reasons for my request:
When I designed the Barter shop format of Saddlebag, I hoped it would be mostly self-managing. It is not. Thus, Riven is often interrupted from adventures or exploring or gathering of herbals with questions or a need to return to the shop to sort things out. Riven may be hundreds of miles away, and it makes no sense that he could sail or jog his way to the shop in a matter of minutes, to handle the issues that arise.

If I have Tinpin at the shop, then when I get a “Tell” from someone, or a PM, I could log in and control Tinpin – to interact with and guide customers, to check the lens pricing of an item,  and to take items that have been placed in incorrect chests and place them in the correct chests. Also, once I've logged out, I have the information I need to respond to threads regarding the shop.

If the answer is “Yes”, then do I need to submit it to the New Character Submission, or do I just craft Tinpin and get him to the shop?

Thank you!
~Mark

Alatriel

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 06:30:47 pm »
Alright,
I think this is getting confused.

You can have an NPC placed in an area with the permission of the owner of said area (housing or guild areas only) and that npc will simply stand there and not interact unless a GM is on and decides to posess it.

You can create a PC that you yourself will play, and that will go through character submissions as all PC's.

Or you can create a quest npc through the quest scrolls that you can purchase at the general goods stores.  It will need to be re-placed each reset, but that is another option.

IF you decide to create an NPC, the same rules will apply as not being allowed to have 2 characters involved in the same guild/business venture due to muling rules, but from what I'm seeing I'm not sure if that's what you actually are trying to do.

The simplest way of all is to use the quest npc/quest scrolls.

If you would like to submit a request for an NPC to be placed permanently somewhere, please submit the request on the Housing Remodels Forum and I'll work with you from there.

If you want to create Tinpin as a PC so that he can stay there and work with that alone, you can always say that Riven sold it to him *shrugs* but that would have to go through Character Submissions.

Hope that helps!

~Alatriel

Riven

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 07:03:51 pm »
Sorry for the confusion!

What I'd like is to create a PC through the submission process, who I would use as a shopkeeper with the limitations I've described (stays 1st level, etc.), for an exception to be made to the rule of "no player may have more than one character in the same guild."

With the restrictions I'm promising to follow there should be no issue with mulling (the shopkeeper would never take items or gold from the shop or anywhere).

I do still wish for Riven to be involved in the shop.

I hope that clears up any confusion about my intention and question.

thanks all!

See this character submission for reference, if you wish:
http://forums.layonara.com/character-submissions/284433-new-character-submission-tinpin-fairtrade.html

Quote from: Alatriel
Alright,
I think this is getting confused.

You can have an NPC placed in an area with the permission of the owner of said area (housing or guild areas only) and that npc will simply stand there and not interact unless a GM is on and decides to posess it.

You can create a PC that you yourself will play, and that will go through character submissions as all PC's.

Or you can create a quest npc through the quest scrolls that you can purchase at the general goods stores.  It will need to be re-placed each reset, but that is another option.

IF you decide to create an NPC, the same rules will apply as not being allowed to have 2 characters involved in the same guild/business venture due to muling rules, but from what I'm seeing I'm not sure if that's what you actually are trying to do.

The simplest way of all is to use the quest npc/quest scrolls.

If you would like to submit a request for an NPC to be placed permanently somewhere, please submit the request on the Housing Remodels Forum and I'll work with you from there.

If you want to create Tinpin as a PC so that he can stay there and work with that alone, you can always say that Riven sold it to him *shrugs* but that would have to go through Character Submissions.

Hope that helps!

~Alatriel

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 03:33:49 pm »
Well since this technically its not an NPC request and was handled by the Character approvers process this situation can be considered handled,  you are free to create the character once it has been approved by the process.

anything