The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Lawful Brownies & Chaotic Prunilla  (Read 237 times)

lonnarin

Lawful Brownies & Chaotic Prunilla
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:30:41 pm »
If brownies aren't allowed to be chaotic, why would they follow a Chaotic goddess?

Serissa

Re: Lawful Brownies & Chaotic Prunilla
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:31:18 pm »
Wishful thinking.

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:29:58 pm »
There are many elements of Prunilla that can serve any form of good - most notably the whole hearth and home, family providing community deal which is so central to brownies. Even so, you could have a NG brownie cleric.

Brownies have some kind of special relationship with Prunilla, also.

Gulnyr

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:53 pm »
Besides, Prunilla isn't really "down with the Man," unpredictable, radical nutjob Chaotic but "one size does not fit all," moderate Chaotic.

Yeah, I know.  Let's just super-summarize it this time: alignment rant; rebuttal rant; considered, well-presented opinion; alternate, equally viable opinion; [continue as necessary to get it all out, with and from as many parties as necessary]; alignment status quo maintained because there's no way to nail it down; laugh at ourselves, knowing it's silly to have gone over it again but that we will eventually do so in the future as if our passion could change the universe.

Hooray for mantras.  Maybe.  What do you think Public and Private are about?

Acacea

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:00:32 pm »
Bathroom vs tree vs subway?

PS I think brownies should be the only Lawful exceptions to Pruni's alignment rules.

RollinsCat

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:01:01 pm »
Rarely is gently chiding sarcasm so eloquent yet so sparse.  A masterpiece, and worth a rare :D

Quote from: Gulnyr
Let's just super-summarize it this time: alignment rant; rebuttal rant; considered, well-presented opinion; alternate, equally viable opinion; [continue as necessary to get it all out, with and from as many parties as necessary]; alignment status quo maintained because there's no way to nail it down; laugh at ourselves, knowing it's silly to have gone over it again but that we will eventually do so in the future as if our passion could change the universe.

EdTheKet

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:34:25 am »
Quote from: RollinsCat
Quote from: Gulnyr
 Let's just super-summarize it this time: alignment rant; rebuttal  rant; considered, well-presented opinion; alternate, equally viable  opinion; [continue as necessary to get it all out, with and from as many  parties as necessary]; alignment status quo maintained because there's  no way to nail it down; laugh at ourselves, knowing it's silly to have  gone over it again but that we will eventually do so in the future as if  our passion could change the universe.
Rarely is gently chiding sarcasm so eloquent yet so sparse.  A  masterpiece, and worth a rare :D

Hear hear!

What do you think Public and Private are about?
She's Humble, Passive, Rural and Sedentary?

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 08:24:03 am »
What do you think Public and Private are about?

I think Gulnyr was just wondering about those two Mantras in general, not referring Prunilla's mantras, Ed.

Gulnyr

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:56:00 am »
Right.  I can understand what most of the mantras mean easily enough, or at least get an idea how to play a character with those mantras, but Public vs Private throws me.  

Rofirein has Public, and I can guess that has something to do with being for the common people, but isn't that just a facet of Selfish vs Selfless?  Deliar, too, so a similar concept, maybe.  If I were to guess without looking, I'd say Beryl had Private because of the whole not taking unnecessary risks and being stealthy thing, but she doesn't.  Or Corath because of the identity hiding, but it's not his mantra either.  But Folian has Private, so maybe it ties in with Urban vs Rural, but then why have essentially the same thing twice, so that can't be it.  Kithairien has Private, which makes sense for the self-sufficiency concept, so maybe Public vs Private is sort of Extrovert vs Introvert or Social vs Loner.  I'm not sure how Xeen isn't Public under that concept, though...  

So yeah, Public vs Private is the only one I don't get.  I know they're flexible, but too flexible is meaningless, and so far my definitions have been too flexible or too narrow.

cbnicholson

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 11:27:47 am »
Well now..when you explain it that way..its clear as mud..:p:\
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

lonnarin

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 06:52:10 pm »
Since Prunilla is married to Deliar, do any males among the brownie population venerate him?  If her focus is on the family, I suspect her husband would be at least highly venerated.

Acacea

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 08:22:54 pm »
I don't think there is much of a reason to be against Deliar - certainly not to disrespect him as Prunilla's husband - but my own opinion (which is naturally not everyone's) is that there is not a lot of call for Deliar worship among brownies. Deliar is very much a deity of travel and trade and the whole luck of the crossroads deal - brownies are so home-centric that it doesn't factor in so much. Brownie trade is more often than not the legendary sock mending in the dead of night than "hey, why don't we compare lists and see what we have that can benefit the other?"

I think Deliar would be respected, but not worshipped by even male brownies with any regularity. They're practically a sect of Pruni followers as a race.

If they were to worship Deliar, it would probably be the halfling concept of "the Divine Couple" and not Deliar exclusively.

(Besides, even with a bag of holding to hold all the trinkets and good luck charms so common to Deliarites, the opening would need to be bigger than the brownie in most cases to hold anything for big people!)

Dorganath

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 01:33:55 pm »
When we only list 4 mantras for a deity, those aren't the only four they possess, just the four most defining. Mantras are a spectrum of sorts, not simply a yes/no sort of thing, so there's degrees to which one might be Public/Private, Urban/Rural, etc.

Taking the question of Gulnyr's regarding Xeen, her mantras are Destructive (vs. Preserving), Arrogant (vs. Humble), Urban (vs. Rural) and Active (vs. Passive).  For these four mantras, she is maxed out.  

For all the other mantras, she is somewhere else on the spectrum.  On the Public/Private spectrum, she's just a bit toward Public.  On the Caring/Cruel spectrum, she's about half way past the middle point toward Cruel.

Hope that helps.

EdTheKet

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 01:38:15 pm »
And a full description of what each mantra is, is in the works.
We've got the rough ideas, but not polished text yet.

Gulnyr

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 01:56:26 pm »
Yes and no, heh.  

It's cool to know that the gods aren't just four things maxed and everything else in the middle, but I probably should have known that already from the sample Beryl image Orth provided. *shrug*  I still don't know what Public and Private are, though.  You could have said Xeen's just a little toward arnothereal and I would know just as much, heh.

What really breaks whatever idea I come up with every time is that Folian has Private as a mantra (all 100% of it) while teaching that "everyone is born into a pack" and that "everyone in this pack has a role and purpose that they must accomplish for the survival of the whole," which are very social, "public" concepts.  Doesn't that seem weird?  Maybe not if you know what Public and Private are supposed to represent.  I clearly don't.

Sorry for stepping all over the Brownie thread.

EDIT: And Ed snuck in while I was fishing for quotes.

Dorganath

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 02:02:35 pm »
Well...if a pack is insular and solitary, it could be considered private, not unlike people who form compounds and communes and things with others who are like-minded but not necessarily in step with general society.

Gulnyr

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 02:33:55 pm »
And yet Corath isn't 100% Private!  *throws up his hands*

Thank you for trying, but examples just aren't going to cut it for me, I think.  I'll just wait for the definitions.

Hellblazer

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 03:47:25 pm »
Could it be private, as they like to keep to themselves, not let others know who they are. Keeping things internally within their own? Just throwing a thought there.

anything