The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: New character, how to relect them being level 1 yet having background?  (Read 595 times)

Guardian 452

I have been kicking around a concept of a new character. But Im stuck trying to figure out how to represent the skills I want him to have and yet come off as a "level 1" character.

In this example say he is a hired killer. How can I give him a story of going out and killing people when at level 1 a rat in the Hempsted Sewers will be a challenge for him? LOL

I ask because I know with some submissions ive seen request to dull the story down. Saying that was too much power / knowledge for a level 1 to have.

Thanks for any advice.

G-452

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, Hellblazer, Pandapuff7

RollinsCat

Re: New character, how to relect them being level 1 yet having b
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:45:37 pm »
Simplest way I can think of is instead of him already being a hired killer, have him the lookout man / getaway cart guy who watched and learned and is ready to strike out on his own in the mercenary business.  that would be an appropriate occupation for an inexperienced potential assassin.

Rowana

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 03:07:20 pm »
There are other ways as well. Illnesses that weaken the character severely, injuries, getting caught and locked up and thus deteriorating the skill. Getting lost in the wilderness and nearly starving to death... all manner of terrible things can befall a person that robs them of their livelihood and skill.

On the whole, extended period of idleness caused by any sorts of those things or even something good... Even a hardened killer could sometimes find love and let the world go by for a time... So long as the end result is that of a level one character we can be pretty flexible!

~row

lonnarin

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 03:24:59 pm »
Using poison in their food or exposing the targets to diseases works well.  Manipulating evidence, tampering with devices or potions to make them backfire, giving people the wrong directions so thy wind up in orc territory.  There are many ways to assassinate people without fighting.

ycleption

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:31:59 pm »
Maybe he goes after slow fat merchants, who are -just- too poor to have good bodyguards... Maybe as a level one character, he is who the poor people hire... Really, assuming you're trying to make an evil character, its a lot easier to lay the foundation for true evil and depravity with "low level" victims: maybe he's the guy you hire when there's a panhandler in front of your shop that's driving away business. Maybe the orphanage just doesn't have enough beds and -something- has got to be done. Maybe he is the lethal solution to bratty teenagers with love triangles. Cold-blooded, hardened murder does not have to involve anything fancy to make a good story.

OR! Maybe he's an executioner or some other profession that involves killing... All sort of possibilities...

Script Wrecked

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:06:13 pm »
Quote from: Guardian 452
I have been kicking around a concept of a new character. But Im stuck trying to figure out how to represent the skills I want him to have and yet come off as a "level 1" character.

In this example say he is a hired killer. How can I give him a story of going out and killing people when at level 1 a rat in the Hempsted Sewers will be a challenge for him? LOL

I ask because I know with some submissions ive seen request to dull the story down. Saying that was too much power / knowledge for a level 1 to have.

Thanks for any advice.

G-452

At some point, this "hired killer" was a spotty-nosed punk who got by roughing people up and then at one day accidentally/unintentionally killed someone and decided he liked it (the thrill of the kill). Why don't you start him from there? It is a better fit for a "level 1" character and gives him much more scope for growth and development, rather than starting at your (apparent) destination(1).

"It's all about the journey, dude."

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

(1) unless you have something else in mind for him

Pseudonym

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 07:38:37 pm »
I recall when making up the background story for my character Virtue doing the stats for how much better a reasonably armed and armoured lvl 1 character was over and above a poorly armed and armoured lvl 0 character. Leaves quite the wriggle room for s/he killing a whole bunch of folks. I suppose it's easy for us to forget 99% of NPCs are effectively lvl 0 when the ones we see depicted in game are the lvl 30 guardsmen walking the beat.

stragen

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 08:49:15 pm »
Have him complete his basic warrior training in the Prantz Army, or as a cadet in the Prantz Army Officer corps, which is essentially a lawful evil organisation. Its primary role is terror, intimidation and the enforcement of oppressive laws.  

Made up of a mix of humans, Deep dwarves, very few gnomes, fewer halflings, and a handful of elves, the army now resides in constantly-trained battalions around Rael.....
The training for those who would lead Lord Rael’s forces is said to be horrific and sometimes deadly; certainly, no being that ever completed it alive can be considered the same as before.

If he simply saw a civilian wearing a  cloak or amulet with an axe-shaped-symbol would be required to execute them on the spot.
The worship of Vorax in any form is punishable by death to be dealt immediately when the infraction be discovered.

Better yet make him a deep dwarf.  Then he will have +4 to move silently +4 to poison, and can turn invisible at will.  All useful skills for a would be assassin.

jrizz

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 12:15:32 am »
In my writeup for my NE PC I had him kill a person on board a ship. I always think of it as the majority of folks in the world are level 0 some special are level 1 and above.

As for the rats I think of each rat as representative of a swarm of rats. This is the same as why every guard in every city is uber powered, they are representative of a troop of guards. So if most folks are level 0 then your PC could be a hired killer that has been hired thus far to "hit" regular folks.

Maybe his path to become a better killer starts with him getting hired to "hit" someone more powerful then a level 0 and he only just escapes with his life. This leads him to find training to become a highly skilled assassin.