The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Metamagic  (Read 259 times)

jadewillow

Metamagic
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:37:27 pm »
Is it possible to use metamagic feats on a characters highest spell level? For example, can Flynn use extend magic on level 6 spells that qualify for extend?

Thanks.

Lance Stargazer

Re: Metamagic
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:43:07 pm »
Under the risk of not understanding well the question i venture an answer .

Extend adds a level to the spell you need extended, this means that for cast a 5th level extended the character has to be able to cast at least one 6th level spell.  

Ergo the character must be able to cast one spell level higher than the spell he / she wants to be extended, The same applies for the other metamagic feats with the respective level diferences.

Hope this serves.

Carillon

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:06:28 pm »
Lance's response is correct. You cannot use metamagic on the highest level of spell your character is able to cast, because metamagic raises the magic required to cast that spell.

For example, Jaelle can cast all 9 levels of sorcerer spells. She also has maximize spell. When she casts maximized spells, she can cast levels 1-6 through maximized spells. Casting a 6th level spell at maximized level uses up one of my regular 9th level spells for that day. If she were a wizard, she would have to prepare it at 9th level, because 6+3=9 and maximize adds 3 spell levels to the casting requirement.

For a metamagic feat that added only one level, I would be able to cast level 1-8 spells with that type of maximize.

Because bards only have 6 levels of bard-specific spells, you would never be able to use maximize, empower, extend or any other metamagic feats on a level six spell because the requirement would be higher than the level you can cast.

Hope this helps,
~Carillon

jadewillow

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:46:07 pm »
Ok, that makes complete sense guys. Thank you.

I assume that even though you can get to them via your radial dialog (albeit grayed out), there is not way to access them then.

Thanks again