The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Possible typo in Lore re: Epic Ranger Feats  (Read 691 times)

Riven

Possible typo in Lore re: Epic Ranger Feats
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »
I may be mistaken (lost my nwn manual), but I believe Favored Enemy is an Epic Ranger Feat. It's not listed in Lore.

Lore statesa:
•   Epic Ranger Bonus Feats:
?   Bane of Enemies: prereq ranger 21
?   Blinding Speed: (Haster 1/day for 25 r; pre-req Dx 25)
?   Epic Toughness +20 hp
?   Epic Prowess +1 to hit with any weapon
?   Epic Weapon Focus (pre-req Weapon Focus, and lv 21)
Improved Combat Casting (pre-req Conc 25, Combat Casting)

Guardian 452

Re: Possible typo in Lore re: Epic Ranger Feats
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:17:26 pm »
Bane of Enemies
Blinding Speed
Epic Toughness
Epic Prowess
Epic Weapon Focus
*Favored Enemy*
Improved Combat casting

This is the list in my old Hordes of the Underdark book.

s0ulz

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:15:21 am »
First of all, a rule of thumb, never trust NWN printed materials for reference. They're mostly always wrong when there's a dispute. The game has been patched far too many times for it to still be reliable.

Secondly, picking Favored Enemies is a special attribute of a Ranger that is represented in the game as picking a feat at certain levels. Mind you these levels do not follow the regular feat or epic feat distribution, so they're special.

Taking that into account, LORE: Ranger clearly states that you continue to get Favored Enemies every 5 levels into epic levels. This is in addition to Ranger Epic Bonus Feats that an epic ranger gets every 3 levels. These shouldn't be mixed up, even though picking Favored Enemies is essentially picking a feat from a list. To my knowledge you can not pick a new Favored Enemy at Ranger Epic Bonus Feat levels (23, 26, 29 etc.).

Guardian 452

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:46:22 am »
I Exported Enzo back over to NWN and I can choose A favored enemy at 23, 26, 29 etc as an Epic Ranger or one of the remaining Ranger Epic Feats.
Does this apply to Layo? I cant say. LORE on Enzo doesnt start recording until he started taking Cleric levels. So I guess back to the rule of thumb of never trusting NWN

s0ulz

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 05:46:58 am »
Having never played a Ranger to Epic Levels my knowledge was lacking.

I'm guessing the general rule applies here that whenever a character qualifies for an epic bonus feat with a class that also has bonus feats pre-epic (fighter, rogue, ranger etc.), bonus feats may be taken instead of epic bonus feats at any time as well.

As an example, you can pick Knockdown, which is a Fighter bonus feat, but not a Fighter epic bonus feat, as an epic bonus feat at epic levels. The situation seems to be the same with Rangers - Favored Enemy, which is in fact a bonus feat, not an epic bonus feat, can be taken at epic levels instead of feats from the epic bonus feat list.

In that sense, yes, you can pick a Favored Enemy at 23, 26, 29 etc. However, LORE seems to be correct, as Favored Enemy is classified as a bonus feat in NWN and not an epic bonus feat. I guess NWN classifies feats as epic bonus feats if they require epic character levels.

Dremora

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:42:47 am »
Favoured Enemy does not change once you hit epic levels both in name and in function and so it counts as just a normal feat as opposed to an epic one.
Agreeing with what soulz said.

Chongo

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 11:18:56 am »
And, flipping that over... you don't have to take favored enemy at those FE specific bonus levels.  The ranger list opens up at that point. So you can technically go to 40 ranger with only 5 FE's.

Riven

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:31:15 pm »
Quote from: Chongo
And, flipping that over... you don't have to take favored enemy at those FE specific bonus levels.  The ranger list opens up at that point. So you can technically go to 40 ranger with only 5 FE's.

Really? so at level 25, 30, 35, and 40 as an epic Ranger you could choose a different feat than Favored Enemy? I assumed it was forced on the Ranger. Not a bad thing, in my opinion, but freedom of choice is even better.

anything