The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Potions vs Bandages  (Read 859 times)

drakogear

Potions vs Bandages
« on: January 01, 2012, 05:37:14 pm »
So after my last adventure I finally had enough money to buy some potions though only the light healing ones. Though as it would seem, despite being more expensive than bandages... they healed alot less hp. Atleast when compared to the bandages Rasa and Ty used to heal Sigfried with witch were of the lowest type aswell. How is that? I pay more for potions yet they heal alot less that the much cheaper bandages?

Sig has 0 points in the heal skill and only 10 wisdom thus can not really use bandages at all.

Is it expected that every one has points in heal?

Also, why are all potions "on target"? What happened to the standard "on self" potions?

RollinsCat

Re: Potions vs Bandages
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 05:40:57 pm »
Ty has points in heal, which increase the amount of hp returned.  My bard doesn't have any points in heal because he gets heal spells (and it's an rp thing for him).  You don't get spells so when you level Sig put skill points in heal if you want to make good use of bandages.

Ty used cure medium potions instead of cure lights because you were taking heavy damage and as a fighter/barb have more hp than most.

drakogear

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 05:46:11 pm »
Kinda figured that much, more points in heal means more points healed with bandages, but it just seems really off that someone has to pay alot more for something that does alot less.

xsweetpeaxs

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 05:58:53 pm »
Potions can be used during battle/fighting. Bandages cannot be used during battle. I think that is the reason for the higher cost.

Dremora

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 06:19:06 pm »
Some on-self potion types exist as random drops. I suspect the development of on-target potions was implemented to encourage more team-orientated gameplay. It has its glitches but it has its benefits as well.

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 06:23:48 pm »
Both self-use and targeted-use cure/heal potions can be crafted, so both definitely exist. Whether merchants are making them or not is another question.

Cure/Heal potions always heal in the same manner and only restore lost hit points. Healing kits can actually cure poison and disease as well, if the Heal check is successful.  Potions take effect immediately. Heal kits take a few seconds to apply and thus cannot be used when there is active combat.  There are trade-offs to each, and each is intended for a different purpose.

drakogear

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 07:33:31 pm »
Hm, so... bandages are cheaper and can restore health and remove poison and diseases wile cureing potions can are more expensive and can only restore health, though potions can be used in battle.

There is still the bit about how potions heal less damage than bandages if the healer has even a few points in heal.

Just seems to me that bandages (with heal skill) would be more valuable than potions.

Though points healed isn't really the question here. I know Potions are limited to the spell effect applied... or are they? I've only been able to get the cure lite wound potions... and those bare heal Sig at all.

jadewillow

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:19:18 pm »
As a PC there is definitely a place for both bandages and potions. Tane uses potions for emergency situations while in the middle of battle. He uses bandages after a battle.

xsweetpeaxs

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:50:59 pm »
Quote from: drakogear

Just seems to me that bandages (with heal skill) would be more valuable than potions.

It depends on the situation. During battle/fighting, even the "Cure Light" potions can save you from dropping to 0 HP and buy you enough time to move to the back of your party so that bigger potions or clerics can heal you. However, bandages are useless while you are in the midst of battle even if your "Heal" skill can heal you 100 HP because you cannot use them.

So, you can't say that bandages are more valuable because they are absolutely useless during battle.

Serissa

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 08:51:01 pm »
Target potions can heal more than self-potions.  The formula was changed for one, but not the other.  All my characters have lots of points in heal, and I use bandages whenever possible.  Potions can be lifesavers in battle though, so I always carry them.

Some clerics will make target potions for you, taking a share, if you provide knuckles.  It takes 6 knuckles and a glass vial for a medium potion.

drakogear

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 09:16:54 pm »
can a person make potions without useing spells? Often thought of an alchemist who makes potions purely out of herbs and barres and such

Hellblazer

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 09:33:20 pm »
yes you can, check the alchemy recipe cards to see what you need. But in general the light potions will need, greenstone dust, comfrey and aloe.

drakogear

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »
Quote from: Hellblazer
yes you can, check the alchemy recipe cards to see what you need. But in general the light potions will need, greenstone dust, comfrey and aloe.

Hm, compared to the medium only needing 6 skeli knuckles or does it need more without the spell?

Dorganath

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 09:56:01 pm »
There's two methods of making cure potions: Enchanting and Alchemy. Enchanting requires the spell and knuckles.  Alchemy requires a different set of components.  The end products are mechanically identical.

jrizz

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 11:40:35 pm »
I think there is also a timing issue between target and self potions. I think targets go off at the end of the round where self goes off right away. I could be wrong on this.

Makashi

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 06:34:25 am »
Potions should definitely be more expensive - they are life savers, where as bandages are merely there to ....well literally bandage yourself up!

If you are making potions without spells - learn Alchemy, no spells required, just components. The lower end ones are all fairly easy to obtain too.

drakogear

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 02:24:54 pm »
Well, guess your all right. I've only gotten to use the cure light wound potion witch seemed to only heal 7-10 points... Sig has about 58.

Anyways, thanks for all the help everyone.

anything