The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Question about characters / lvl spread  (Read 391 times)

jan

Question about characters / lvl spread
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:52:49 pm »
Since ( if things go wrong ) I'm about to make a new character , i want to know what are approved characters .

Meaning : what level splits are allowed and which aren't ?

For example : 5 barbarian / 5 fighter / 7 weaponmaster , 7 fighter / 7 weaponmaster / 6 assasin , 5 rogue / 5 skald / 7 weaponmaster , 5 fighter / 5 mage / 10 spellsword .

What is and what isn't allowed ? ( not just these examples that i pulled out off thin air not even knowing if they can be made , but character builds that are in no way allowed )

Is switching between prestige classes allowed ? ( if properly RP'd of-course )

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Question about characters / lvl spread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:55:43 pm »
You can't be a Skald without levels in Bard.

Going from one prestige class to another is exactly like going from one normal class to another - though all requirements, mechanically and in RP, must, of course, be met.

aragwen

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:07:58 pm »
Any level splits are allowed as long as you stick to the 5 per class rule by the time you reach level 20. Even though this is not a written rule, I do think one should keep the spirit of the server in mind when deciding how to level in multiple classes. For example, in my personal opinion taking 4 levels of rogue and then 15 levels of figter and then end with 1 level of rogue is kinda borderline. So I always feel that classes should stay close to each other or level in one class and then another. But this is purely personal opinion.

Class mixes are however governed by the type of class. So for example you cannot freely mutli-class druid or monk (as example). Also any prestige classes need to be approved as well as any class changes that was not approved during your initial character submission.

Obviously one has to take into account normal requirements for prestige classes, like the skald one that requires bard.

Faldred

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 01:20:12 pm »
There is pretty much a rule against the Rogue 4 / Fighter 15 / Rogue 1 split.

As for what is allowed and what isn't, unless things have changed significantly since I was doing approvals, nothing is disallowed, although certain combinations (Monk / Druid is one, I believe) is looked at quite warily because of ease of abuse.

As with any single class submission, the background and character concept have to justify the multiclassing (i.e., why *must* he or she be a Fighter / Rogue instead of straight Fighter or straight Rogue?) and, as with any other complicating factor in a submission, requires more work from the submitter.

There is no rule, as far as I know, against multiple prestige classes, but they are extremely rare, given how difficult it is to obtain one prestige class and how much IC development would be necessary to qualify for and logically develop into two.