The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Question of Scale in Maps and Distances  (Read 897 times)

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Question of Scale in Maps and Distances
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 01:26:30 pm »
My new idea is to do a temporal-shifting as part of a storytellers prerogative. In other words, while my PC in game seems to be moving up and down the roads with the speed of a passenger jet, what is really going on is that all of her disparate adventures over the course of a year in game time in, say, Fort Vehl, really happened all during the brief period of time she was there.

I think this is pretty much how all of us handle this distance/time issue. We commonly refer to the effect as time-bubbling, or "this quest is in a time-bubble." You then arrange the time-bubbles into an array that makes some sort of sense.

And yes, sometimes I get very confused as to where my character actually is at any given time of the year. :p

inventing some sort a fast non-combat travel enchantment

It's called "teleport." :D

Though as only wizards and druids can accomplish the feat on command, everyone else has to take the pre-built portals or make the long trek. Hence some of the recent requests that other classes get "fast travel" modes.

Dorganath

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 02:49:17 pm »
Druids have it too, milty.  Though I think he was thinking of something more point-to-point, but that's not likely to happen on a personal basis.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 02:53:04 pm »
**points** I mentioned druids. I just didn't refer to their ability as "Tree Walking." I left it under the banner of "teleport," though admittedly it is a bit different.

Dorganath

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 03:59:03 pm »
Ooops!  So you did *sheepish* :)

superdoofus

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 03:28:07 pm »
I think this is a minor issue that could be used as RPing but just would make Layonara less fun if fixed.  Also Time in Layonara goes quicker.  I think we're better off just leaving it.