The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Reason for Staff Sizes  (Read 1027 times)

Lord Dark

Reason for Staff Sizes
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:10:35 am »
I don't understand what causes the differences in staff sizing. I wanted my Druid to hold a Staff of Anscension since there's not really any other staffs that are worth using. The Black Staff of Balance? He gets a whole damage point to four different alignments, and silences the enemy with a DC of 16 (not very high), so it's not a whole lot of help. The Staff of the Forest and Staff of the Woods aren't much help since Milo's mostly immune to acid fog and confusion because he's immune to poison and his will is high enough to withstand confusion... and as for the Staff of the Woods and it's summons (a badger), it's not worth the weight at being higher levels.

So I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase a staff and have a carpenter or wood crafter to shorten the length of the size? In other words, create a new version of it mechanics wise? I'm not saying to add the new version to be added to the drop pool but to have it as a customized weapon? Thanks!

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Reason for Staff Sizes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:36:32 am »
I'm not sure what the usefulness of each staff has to do with its IG representation (the size or length), but I'm fairly certain the actual "size" of the staff is bioware standard, whereas the visual representation of that "size" depends on what graphics are available to the staff object. Have you tried customizing (like you would any other weapon or armor) your staff to pick one of the graphics that makes the staff look smaller? Or are you asking for more custom visuals that provide a "smaller" look?

Pibemanden

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:00:22 am »
I -think- the problem is that he can't use all the two handed staves with his halfling?

ycleption

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:03:38 am »
Some staffs' base item is "quarterstaffs" (bigger) and some staffs are "magic staffs" (smaller) - if that answers your question.

Lord Dark

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:47:38 am »
I see what ycleption's saying. But is there a way to produce a second version of the "quarterstaff" size category into a "magic staff" size category? I'm not sure how much trouble that would take but was curious.

ycleption

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:20:12 pm »
Well, playing a different sized character comes with benefits and penalties. Your halfling can't use quarterstaffs, my giant can't use wands. So, before the feasibility of the change is considerer, why do think the change should be made?
I grant you, I don't know the difference in stats between the various stats, but my guess is the ones based on the quarterstaff are made that way for balance reasons (since medium creatures can't use them and a shield), so there's that, as well.

Lord Dark

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 12:30:48 pm »
Why should it be made? I think anyone could take a normal sized quarterstaff and have it shortened to their liking, part of the IG customization yet not much can be done with the size limitations when using the customization benches. In terms of wands? They're short as it is and can't be adjusted, you make a wand any bigger than it is then it would just be a staff. It was just a suggestion and viewing of what could be done.

ycleption

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 01:00:04 pm »
My question was really going to the mechanics, rather than the RP (I mean, let's face it, the RP reasoning behind a lot of equipment is kinda shaky) - and I want to be clear, I'm not trying to say its a bad suggestion or anything like that, just trying to elicit something more concrete from you to support your suggestion.

Lord Dark

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:23:42 pm »
I don't suppose there is a real mechanical reason why to produce a second version aside from wanting to purchase a staff that will actually help with anything. The staffs available are pointless to carry around, the reasons why are mentioned above. Since the staff in question has the regeneration effect, it only makes RP sense for a druid would want it, but mechanically, it would be the most helpful staff I think that avaliable. I was about to buy the staff from another player and I was pretty excited, but ended up having to decline the purchase because the item wasn't usable. If this is a possible situation in order to make a different version, I would be willing to pay even extra in order to have it created.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 01:56:18 pm »
Ah, thank you for the clarification, Pibe and ycleption.

Chazzler

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »
You could also search to buy one of the 2 high end staffs, Runewood Staff or Klinkutter's Staff of Fortitude, both have nice and great bonuses (+1 and +2 to wisdom for one), but they are something like level req. 26 or so.