The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Red Dragon Disciple, Spellsword, and CDQ's  (Read 1077 times)

kilraq

• View Profile
    Red Dragon Disciple, Spellsword, and CDQ's
    « on: June 15, 2007, 05:58:17 pm »
    Sorry if this a crazy question but I have spent some time in the manuals and such and not sure I really got a good understanding of how this all works.  I am asking this earlier so I can plot my characters progression if I can.  A goal if you will.

Eventually my hopes with the character I am developing was to turn him into a RDD.  I see this requires an Epic Character Development Quest, which seems and sounds fun.   The reason I want to go this direction mostly for RP purposes, for the character to discover the truth of why he has inherant magical prowess and as a suprise twist.   Yet I am not sure what this all entails and requires.   Plot and background developing would be easy.   But since I am just starting out, I have time.

If it turns out this is not even possible, I would be interested in taking my character down the path of a spellsword, though I would have to start investing and planning down that route now, as well as making an RP plot designed around such.  Which I already do have a bit in mind, thought it would be possibly be a different path than the RDD.

Can you clarify what exactly it means to do a CDQ and a ECDQ?  Do I need more time in the game to go down that route, will I need to do this on a second character later down the road?

Btw, the Handbook was a huge read.   Well done though.  Compliments to the creator of it.

darkstorme

Re: Red Dragon Disciple, Spellsword, and CDQ's
    « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 06:31:37 pm »
    Not a GM, but my two coppers on the issue;

A CDQ can only be requested once your character reaches Level 10, and then there's a 2 month waiting period between completion of the quest and a second request.  Essentially, with a CDQ, there is some major, pivotal event that you wish your character to undergo - so a GM runs it for your character and (usually) some of their companions.

An ECDQ is no longer strictly required to reach Level 21, but it's a massive gap otherwise - check out the Experience Table to see what I mean.  It HAS to occur at or after 20th level, however.

As for RDD - as much as it is an in-demand PrC, bear in mind the drastic shortage of Dragons on Layonara (as per the histories).  As such, RDD is likely the single hardest PrC to achieve in Layonara, and as far as I know, only one person ever qualified for it.

The Spellsword route is eminently accessible to you, but again, to take levels in Fighter (required for the class, I believe), you'd need to maintain a solid CDT and request the multiclass at the appropriate point.

Hope that covered everything!

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:36:02 pm »
    Darkstorme is correct.

Acacea

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 06:41:46 pm »
    RDDs are made, not born, here - sorc magic doesn't come from dragon blood. The single approved RDD that darkstorme mentioned did not have distant ties but rather was made into something new.

And a newer, bigger handbook is upcoming but not yet out!

kilraq

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 07:13:41 pm »
      Thanks for the fast replies.   I figured from what I was reading that RDD was not a likely possibility.  Maybe I can strive for it someday  :P

Spellsword route it seems to be is the way I will go then.   Easily routeable.   And I have no fear of doing a lot of CDT development.  I figured when I decided it was a good route that it would require a lot of explanation.   Particularly since it seems only the Spellswords in the land belong to the "church".

As from what I saw on the LORE site, I didn't see anything on Fighter being required, but it was planned if I went that way despite.

Again, thank you all for the fast responses.   I know I am asking a lot of question so far all over the forums and the polite and kind responses from all of you has been amazing.

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 07:16:35 pm »
      Quote from: kilraq
      Spellsword route it seems to be is the way I will go then.   Easily routeable.   And I have no fear of doing a lot of CDT development.  I figured when I decided it was a good route that it would require a lot of explanation.   Particularly since it seems only the Spellswords in the land belong to the "church".

This is not really true.  Being a part of any particular faith is not a requirement for Spellsword, formal or otherwise.

darkstorme

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 07:17:36 pm »
      I know I am asking a lot of question so far all over the forums and the polite and kind responses from all of you has been amazing.

I think the universal consensus in the community on the topic would be: "Better to ask questions and receive edification than to proceed in ignorance."

:)

kilraq

• View Profile
        « Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 07:25:31 pm »
        So the spellsword isn't just done by the followers of a certain faith or group.   Good to know.  I only came to that impression due to my view of RP.   Typically when your going to be going into an unknown field of study, you need a trainer.  And I only saw spellsword mentioned in the religion field in the manual.  My mistake.

Though I suppose a Sorc/Fighter blend could discover the process naturally, since they already study the two different fields and the sorc nature is to discover magic through their own essence and experiences.   *Ponders*

Well it doesn't seem its going to matter for a little bit.  My order on HoU got delayed by UPS.   Wont be able to play until that  expansion gets on my comp.

And, thank you for the clarification.

darkstorme

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 07:30:59 pm »
        My order on HoU got delayed by UPS.   Wont be able to play until that  expansion gets on my comp.

Mac user?

kilraq

• View Profile
          « Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 07:42:51 pm »
          *Nods*  Indeed.   My primary RL job is Photography and I need the application support, lack of viruses and other such to keep my self with $ and supplies.  Solid comps, but they really need to work on their game support with developers.

Stupid UPS.  *sighs*

Pseudonym

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 07:59:25 pm »
          *waves at the fellow Mac user*

Gotta love how we still pay $50 (AUD) for an expansion for a 5 year old game and then wait for it to be delivered and the PC users get the platinum package for like, 50 cents from any 7/11 store. :(

kilraq

• View Profile
            « Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 08:11:15 pm »
            *Chuckles*  It is a bit of a rip.   In total though, I think I spent 60$.   For the main game, and for the two expansions.

Nice to see a fellow Mac user.  Least I wont be alone.  But RP will be strained in game with you it seems.   I read your community development!   Your so "Closed Fist" its scary.  :P  (Jade Empire reference)

darkstorme

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 08:21:13 pm »
            Eh, that's just Virtue.  Arkolio is a bit less scary. :)  A bit. ;)

Acacea

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 08:24:53 pm »
            Scary in a different way might be more appropriate...

kilraq

• View Profile
              « Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 08:31:45 pm »
              *Laughs as he get the feeling he has stumbled on a few rivalries.*

So let me get this correct though and see if I have this right.

Lets say I take Kilraq to lvl 10, leveling him 5 times as a Sorc and 5 times as a Fighter.   As long as his character and development were stat and legit, he could then take a CDQ in which he would try to discover the path of the Spellsword.   Is this correct?

That is of course, if I don't manage to completely be at death's door at that time.   It wont be an easy to play mix till then.  *chuckles*   There are charismatic quests and missions I can do right... ^_~  I'll RP my heart out of em, I swear.  :P

darkstorme

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 08:35:21 pm »
              Lets say I take Kilraq to lvl 10, leveling him 5 times as a Sorc and 5 times as a Fighter. As long as his character and development were stat and legit, he could then take a CDQ in which he would try to discover the path of the Spellsword. Is this correct?

Iff (if and only if) you've all the feats you need to make the prestige class.

In addition, you'd need to support the Fighter multiclass in your CDT and request the multiclass in the Character Submission thread, as Kilraq is only approved as a sorcerer.

Acacea

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 08:41:49 pm »
              It's worth noting though that if you keep a detailed development thread with a lot of in-game roleplay, the CDQ itself might not be necessary.

kilraq

• View Profile
                « Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 08:45:15 pm »
                *Nods*  Naturally.  I figured that as part of the "good and legit"  :P

As for the building it that way, I think its possible.  I would have to look again to see how exactly to make such a build work.

As for the req's for a Spellsword, they are all covered with just one level into Fighter, with the exclusion of the spell casting.  (According to the LORE site)   Which means I need to make it all the more RP'ed and clever on how it occurs.  Maybe seeks a trainer after he discovers how wimpy he is from blows in just cloth armor.  *Chuckles*

kilraq

• View Profile
                  « Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 08:48:48 pm »
                  Quote from: Acacea
                  It's worth noting though that if you keep a detailed development thread with a lot of in-game roleplay, the CDQ itself might not be necessary.

Awww, but where is the fun in that?  *Chuckles*  If I get the feeling this world is a wee bit like I figure it to be, I will have a large development thread despite.   Now I just need to find a new starting warrior who wants to tag along with me and impress Kilraq with his "great strength of feet."

((Cookie points for whoever gets the reference))

Actually that would make for a fun adventure.   Meeting some fighter at the beginning and both of us being impressed with the others skills.   The making of two spellswords at the same time?   Would be a wonderful RP event.

AeonBlues

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 09:41:22 pm »
                  *Nods*  
                  As for the req's for a Spellsword, they are all covered with just one level into Fighter, with the exclusion of the spell casting.  (According to the LORE site)  

There are certain server rules here that you should be aware of.

At level 20, you must have at least 5 levels in any class that you take.

You can expect a wait time of 3 to 6 weeks between the time that you are approved to take a CDQ and the time that you complete said CDQ.  This depends largely on the DM that you chose.  Their availability, their wait list, etc.  Remember that this DM actually has to write an adventure for you ;)

That being said, if you don't have a secondary character to play with, you will probably gain a level or two during this process.

RDD will only be approved after level 20.

AeonBlues