The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Rune Magic  (Read 208 times)

drakogear

Rune Magic
« on: November 25, 2010, 08:18:20 pm »
I'm probably mistaking something I read from another game but think I read some where in the dwarf section some time ago about rune magic and was wandering how that might be in game. Thinking mostly done through rp. For instance, a dwarven runecaster(wizard mist likely) would cast spells using rune stones rather than scrolls. Runestones being small stones like pebbles engraved with runic symbols (one symbol each) and imbued with the magic essence (al'noth). Thought once was that instead of resting and re-memorizing spells the runecaster is actually scurrying about looking for special stones witch hold the essence of the al'noth and etching the symbols on them.

Anyways, would that be doable in layo or am I mistaken and there is no rune magic at all in layo?

EdTheKet

Re: Rune Magic
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 03:06:34 am »
Quote from: drakogear
I'm probably mistaking something I read from another game but think I read some where in the dwarf section some time ago about rune magic and was wandering how that might be in game. Thinking mostly done through rp. For instance, a dwarven runecaster(wizard mist likely) would cast spells using rune stones rather than scrolls.
There is no such thing in Layonara as a dwarven runecaster, or any runecaster for that matter in the way you described.

Dwarven magic in particular is mentioned here LORE: Dwarf: Magic

Runestones being small stones like pebbles engraved with runic symbols (one symbol each) and imbued with the magic essence (al'noth).
While there are magical symbols, icons, tracings, sigils and whatnot, which could be called runes, they should not be mistaken for things you describe here.

Thought once was that instead of resting and re-memorizing spells the runecaster is actually scurrying about looking for special stones witch hold the essence of the al'noth and etching the symbols on them.
Nope, this type of resting and re-memorizing doesn't exist.

Anyways, would that be doable in layo or am I mistaken and there is no rune magic at all in layo?
This is not doable, the only thing relating to runes, but not in the way you think is here:
LORE: Vorax: Sects in the Rune Carver section.
The runic combinations mentioned here are engraved onto the object in question (e.g. an axe) and then enhances it to do cold damage for example.
The dwarves state this is enchanting without magic, but of course if you think it through, it must be some kind of magic (and therefore Al'Noth) because things don't just go all permanently flamey or icey.

How that works is still unclear in the Layonaran world at large, but I have it defined in the background to mesh with the MMO crafting system. Should a character wish to pursue an investigation they're welcome to join the Runecasters for example and try to find out why it works the way it works.

So in that way, there are runes and "runic magic" but only in the way of engraving, not runecasters.