The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Sacred Fist Questions  (Read 1486 times)

Ebonith

• Followers of Corath
    • View Profile
Sacred Fist Questions
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:54:09 pm »
Howdy!Sooo...I took Sacred Fist over a decade ago, so I have forgotten a ton. Are there gloves available that give bonuses (weapon-like) to monks? If so, can Sacred Fists wear them? 

Dorganath

Generally speaking, any items
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:01:09 am »

Generally speaking, any items that have a class requirement are inflexible, in that if they can only be worn/used by one class, they cannot be worn/used by another, even if that other is kinda-sorta like the specified class. Wizards cannot use Sorcerer-only equipment and vice versa.

Sacred Fists are typically clerics first (though Paladin Sacred Fists are possible). In order to use Monk equipment, a Sacred Fist character would have to take Monk levels. I won't comment on the feasibility of this (not my department!), but there could well be some RP implications here as well, and recall that we require five (5) consecutive levels in new classes when multi-classing.

Official Sacred Fist info available here: http://layonara.com/nwn/sacred-fist

Ebonith

• Followers of Corath
    • View Profile
Thanks for the quick reply,
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 08:50:32 am »

Thanks for the quick reply, Dorganath!

I should have phrased my question better. 

- Are there any gloves that a Sacred Fist (like Sacred Fist specific items) can wear that will give bonuses to melee, much like the way some gloves give bonuses to monks in melee?

If not, I really have to rethink things. I ran up against creatures yesterday where my attacks were ineffectual. Nothing in the class gives magic weapon capability (cleric spells could substitute, but duration is horrid), plus damage output will be abysmal with no "weapon" enhancements. 

miltonyorkcastle

Actually, any "glove" you put
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:06 am »

Actually, any "glove" you put on (or bracers- the hand slot) can be enchanted with a greater magic weapon spell (which you can cast as a cleric), and even with things like darkfire/flaming weapon and such. You can even apply elemental rods to add static elemental damage to them, just like any other weapon, I do believe. Now, some of the monk gloves have some other unique properties, but I think you can get what you need without the monk gloves.

If you really want the monk gloves, though, and taking monk levels doesn't make much sense, then dump skill points into Use Magic Device. That will eventually allow you to use items meant for other classes.

Dorganath

Ebonith wrote:Thanks for the
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:40:51 am »

Quote from: "Ebonith"&cid="2762964"

Thanks for the quick reply, Dorganath!

I should have phrased my question better. 

- Are there any gloves that a Sacred Fist (like Sacred Fist specific items) can wear that will give bonuses to melee, much like the way some gloves give bonuses to monks in melee?

I am honestly not sure that there are any Sacred Fist-specific items or even items which might include Sacred Fist in the list. I think the former is really unlikely, as Sacred Fist characters are fairly rare, and their presence in drops would be noticed. On the latter, I think it's more likely that the gloves are either general use (i.e. no class restrictions) or Monk-only.

Milty's advice is pretty sound, however, and considering that a Sacred Fist's melee damage increases over time, this can be a pretty potent combination.

Sacred Fist also gain Sacred Flame at level 7 (which is admittedly somewhat short-lived, but fire + divine damage) as well as No Shadow Blows at level 8 (which makes their fists "magic" for penetrating DR and improves over time), so there are actually class-specific options for overcoming the problem you stated.

davidhoff

Rogue or Bard levels might be
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 01:26:57 pm »

Rogue or Bard levels might be an option to get your UMD up if you find gloves you like.  There are some nice gloves/bracers out there that do extra damage.  I know some of my char's have the Hyndel's (Sp?) bracers that do 1d8 fire against evil, give +2 con, and 5/- bludgeoning.  These are not class specific.  Level 24+ though.  So you could put a 1d8 cold rod on that and get fire and cold on most monsters, because alot of them are evil.  Also, you can put a silver IV or titanium IV on them to give them 1d8 vs undead or 1d8 vs outsider, respectively.  I also saw some gloves that give three different types of damage...not sure whate they are called, but did something like negative, fire and positive damage.  Gloves of the HinFist do sonic.  The last two not sure of restrictions for class.  Boost your strength too, to get more mele damage.

Ebonith

• Followers of Corath
    • View Profile
Thank you for all the
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:54:30 pm »

Thank you for all the insight.

I guess I feel like I am going to be hurting at the later levels when all the other characters are able to use their glove slot for something nice plus have potent adds in their weapon slots. Meanwhile, the Sacred Fist will not have any item in either weapon slot. Should this not be a concern?

miltonyorkcastle

By that logic, monks would
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:50 am »

By that logic, monks would have the same problem. But in reality, all the adds from the weapon slots can be applied to the wrist slot (the aforementioned elemental and silver or titanium rods, for instance). And the damage die that the weapon would apply is gained from the Sacred Fist unarmed damage. In other words, you don't need to be concerned about losing abilities and buffs to be found in the weapon/off-hand slots. I mean, you won't get the benefits of a shield, but you get damage increases from the class that make up for that, like a monk. 

Ebonith

• Followers of Corath
    • View Profile
Got it, Milt. Thanks for the
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:47:45 am »

Got it, Milt. Thanks for the insight.

I will stay the course then and see how it goes. Thanks all!

Drizzlin

I think the issue is
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 07:12:51 pm »

I think the issue is creatures that require +1, +2, or +3 to even be able to hit them. Monk gloves give the + (1-3) enchant so they work out great. Just like having a +2 sword works.

Ebonith's question was did the layo team make any specific gloves out there for sacrid fist? He asked me adn I thought for sure I had seen some in the past but coudlnt remember.

Ebonith

• Followers of Corath
    • View Profile
Ok, I did a field test this
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 11:24:58 pm »

Ok, I did a field test this afternoon (thanks for the help, Shade). I used a Bracer/Wrist item that gave a +1 bonus to hit and +2 Fire damage. I was able to use it, but because I have "Creature Unarmed Attack" and not just "Unarmed Attack" like a monk, the bonuses did not apply.

This equates to getting no bonuses from bracers and no bonuses from items in my hands.

What does this mean? It means I will probably have to use a Graceful Plea for a relevel  :(

miltonyorkcastle

Hm. I didn't realize the
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 11:46:26 am »

Hm. I didn't realize the class placed a creature attack on your character.

There may be an easy fix where the creature attacks can be toggled to gain benefit from the wrist slot, but one of the module devs will have to comment on that.

silverblades

Have you tested out anyone
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 09:38:17 pm »

Have you tested out anyone casting GMW on you or flame weapon?

my Wizard always casts them on his golem summon and they work fine. Are these the same?

There can be only One.