The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Spellsword for innate  (Read 758 times)

jadewillow

Spellsword for innate
« on: September 28, 2009, 10:57:30 pm »
I am trying to get the policy here. It makes sense to me that a wizard/fighter type would need to "learn" the unique skill of a Spellword from a mentor of some kind. Does this also apply to an innate type caster (i.e. Sorcerer, Bard) since their abilities are typically simply granted to them?

Thanks.

scifibarbie

Re: Spellsword for innate
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:43:53 pm »
While I cant speak for the gm team in how they deal with this prc from pc to pc.

I can say that abi is a ranger/ sorceror and had to be taught the necessary skills to become a spellsword via cdq.

The caveat to that was there were no spellswords around at the time for her to be mentored by. So to my knowledge she was the first one with the PrC.

Now there are several that are fairly active in game so Im not sure how the team will address it as the player base with the prc has changed.

If your curious you Im sure your PC can easily find out who they are through questioning other pcs in game.

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:36:56 am »
My personal opinion, and having an innate spellcaster-turned-Spellsword myself...

Just because a spellcaster has an innage talent (i.e. Sorcerer or Bard) does not mean they cannot be taught to channel their gifts in a different way or improve them. I have GM-guided RP way in Connor's past that involved a lot of "wizardly" learning, though there never really was a mechanical benefit to it.  

Anyway, this is going to boil down to what the CAs think of the existing RP and documentation as to whether or not a CDQ would be required, what shape that might take and so forth. There's no specific reason why a Sorcerer cannot be "taught" how to channel the talents of a Spellsword by a mentor.  There's also no specific reason why a Sorcerer could not figure it out on his/her own.  However, that said, there's other aspects to a Spellsword than just Imbue, such as the abatement of armor penalties to casting.  I think the point there is that just because a caster is "innate" doesn't mean they automatically get anything that's magic just because.  Even for innate casters, there's a process of "learning" magic, even if it's not book- and mentor-centric like a Wizard.

It is something that's going to be looked at on a PC-to-PC basis, as scifibarbie mentioned.  The best answer to your question is going to come from the CA folks after a review of your particular situation.

Asmodean

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:08:02 pm »
Just for my two cents.....

Iradril was never taught his Spellsword ability.  IceDragonDuvessa ran my CDQ to become one.  The knowledge of how to imbue and cast in armor was imparted from a sword, that Iradril was tasked to recover by a celestial servant of Lucinda.  This sort of went along with his development and journal at the time.  I am not sure Ed would sign off on something similar happening in the future.  

// I take off a year and get swept under the carpet.... *sighs*:\

jadewillow

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:16:15 pm »
Does anyone have the specifics on the Spellsword Imbue? Specifically Imbue III, and any relevant DCs (fort? will?).

Thanks.

Pibemanden

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 01:36:58 am »
Imbue III DC is 22 at Level 20-29, 24 at Level 30-39 and 26 at Level 40.

Woundering is a fort save and vorpal is reflex

EdTheKet

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 06:58:08 am »
It makes sense to me that a wizard/fighter type would need to "learn" the unique skill of a Spellword from a mentor of some kind.

That would be the most obvious way, but not the only way. Random ideas: getting possessed by some spirit who knew how, reading some old tome and have the knowledge downloaded into your brain or even:
Quote from: Asmodean
The knowledge of how to imbue and cast in armor was imparted from a sword, that Iradril was tasked to recover by a celestial servant of Lucinda.

If the story works I would sign off on this, of course there's not going to be scores of teaching-swords around :)

Quote from: jadewillow
Does this also apply to an innate type caster (i.e. Sorcerer, Bard) since their abilities are typically simply granted to them?

Quote from: Dorg
Just because a spellcaster has an innage talent (i.e. Sorcerer or Bard) does not mean they cannot be taught to channel their gifts in a different way or improve them.

Indeed, you're not all knowing about your abilities as a sorc/bard so some other sorc-spellsword can definitely give you some pointers on how to use your innate abilities and channel it into a sword for example.

Quote from: Asmodean
I am not sure Ed would sign off on something similar happening in the future.
See above :)

Quote from: scifibarbie
The caveat to that was there were no spellswords around at the time for her to be mentored by. So to my knowledge she was the first one with the PrC.

The caveat was that there were no player spellswords active at that time for her to be mentored by (except for Connor). NPC wise is a different story.

SteveMaurer

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 04:58:09 pm »
Quote from: Pibemanden
Imbue III DC is 22 at Level 20-29, 24 at Level 30-39 and 26 at Level 40.

Wounding is a fort save and vorpal is reflex

Interesting.

All that should be in the LORE.     It isn't.

Does Wounding work?    I found a discussion and bug report (Neverwinter Nights: Bug Report: Weapon of Wounding not functioning) that said that it didn't.

What about Vampiric?   Is Vampiric Imbue +1, +2, or +3?   Or does it go higher (which it needs to, at the higher levels, for the effect to be of any use at all)?

Dorganath

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:51:27 pm »
Quote from: SteveMaurer
Interesting.

All that should be in the LORE.     It isn't.

I can't tell if that's an honest inquiry and concern for completeness a back-handed dig at the various teams here.

The DCs were given in the module revision 3.2 release notes after they were adjusted most recently, which included a hefty number of changes and revisions, so I'm sure you can forgive the all-volunteer LORE team in their lapse of not including that one bit of information in all the other bits they did update from that rather large list. Perhaps in either case you might like to contact miltonyorkcastle and volunteer your time to the LORE team to help keep the voluminous amounts of information we have exactly and precisely up to date.

So yes, it should be on LORE, but it is hardly interesting.

Does Wounding work?    I found a discussion and bug report (Neverwinter Nights: Bug Report: Weapon of Wounding not functioning) that said that it didn't.

I am quite confident that this particular Bioware bug from 2002 has been corrected, as we have creatures in-game that have On Hit: Wounding I can personally testify works as intended.

What about Vampiric? Is Vampiric Imbue +1, +2, or +3? Or does it go higher (which it needs to, at the higher levels, for the effect to be of any use at all)?

It's a constant +5

jadewillow

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:21:53 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
So yes, it should be on LORE, but it is hardly interesting.

I actually think it's very interesting :rolleyes:

Thank you for the specifics, and all the hard work you and the team put into this. I hope you realize it is appreciated.

anything