The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Spring attack and aop's while healing yourself  (Read 403 times)

willhoff

Spring attack and aop's while healing yourself
« on: June 09, 2009, 02:15:18 pm »
Hi,

Vrebel is thinking of taking spring attack as a feat and I had a question regarding how it works:

On Lore it says that if you have the spring attack feat that "Enemies do not get Attacks of Opportunity against the character when the character is moving around in combat".  

Does the above definition mean enemies would still get attacks of opportunity on your character if he was standing still in combat and not moving? i.e. if your flat footed while caught in a web or if your chugging a heal potion?

thanks for any help

Willhoff.

Lance Stargazer

Re: Spring attack and aop's while healing yourself
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:31:00 pm »
There is a big diference beeteen being flatfooted amd getting attacks of oportunity.

This feat allows you to run beetween enemies without generating attack of oprtunity, but you'll get any attacks of oportunities by any "other" action that actually generates an attack of oportunity.

Hope this serves to clarify.

ycleption

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 02:32:04 pm »
The description would probably read more accurately if it said "from moving around..." Ordinarily, you will take attacks of opportunity when you move into or out of an enemy's space, and the feat prevents those AOOs. It does not prevent any other type of AOO (from spellcasting etc.). If you don't have tumble, its a very useful feat.

Minstrel

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:00:16 pm »
Just a thought: In my experience of NWN, you don't cause an Attack of Opportunity if you walk whilst in combat. Makes sense, considering as someone running is more distracted and hence easier to hit, whilst walking suggests you go towards the combat ready and focused.

Also, makes more sense than all those platemailed people jogging about. :P

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:01:49 pm »
If you don't have tumble, its a very useful feat.

Steel uses the heck out of this feat to dart in and out of combat and to run past enemies willy-nilly. No AoP's as long as you keep pressing "w." :p

Just note that while there are no AoP's, creatures can still use their regular attacks against you as you pass by if they're quick enough to do so.

willhoff

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 05:27:36 pm »
Thanks everyone for your imput and relating your experiences with this feat.  Vrebel does like to rush in and swat those pesky mages in the back so this may help him as he's rushing through the horde to to get there.  

I guess when your drinking a potion in the middle of combat you can still get an attack of opportunity because your not "moving in combat" but still a very useful feat it seems as Vrebel wears heavy armor negating any tumble benefits.

Thanks again,

Willhoff

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 05:35:33 pm »
Er... Actually heavy armor does not negate the tumble effects ( the AC stands ) ... just made rediculously imposible to succed on checks *grins*

willhoff

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 05:46:07 pm »
Oh, right Lance, thanks for that clarification.  I knew that the ac benefits from the tumble feat stand, as you stated I was just saying the use of heavy armor drastically reduces your chance of tumbling out of a attack of opportunity. *smiles*

Script Wrecked

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 11:27:35 pm »
The Tumble DC is fixed at 15. Once you have high enough Tumble to overcome your armor penalty, you're set.

Dezza

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 04:43:16 am »
After playing many warriors I must admit I will never ever consider making a warrior again without spring attack!

anything