The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Surely Halflings don't call themselves "Halflings"  (Read 1186 times)

MJZ

Re: Surely Halflings don't call themselves "Halflings"
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 08:15:31 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
but rather that Halflings don't refer to themselves as "half" of anything. In fact, if you ask them, they're all the right size.

This is precisely what I meant. :)

And that sounds great, Ed - it's just what I was looking for! Thanks for the consideration.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 08:30:14 am »
Umm...maybe I'm misunderstanding the lore of Layonara a bit, but also couldn't we think that since it's believed by some that the dragon gods created the humanoid races of Layonara, that it was they that designated Halflings as Halflings, perhaps after previously creating Humans?  That would actually make sense to me.

-----
Dragon god one:  "Behold!  My newest creation!  Small, and stealthy, able to slip in places your larger Humans can't.  But, what should I call them?"

Dragon god two:  "Indeed, a fine creation, probably one of our best.  Hmmm... they are about half the height of those Humans, why not call them Halflings?"

Dragon god one:  "Right on!  Halflings they are then!"  *turning to the newly created and awakened Halfling*  "Go now my little one and wreak havoc across the world with your irrepressible self!  And know I name thee Halfling."  *maniacle laughter*

Kindo

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 08:34:34 am »
Haha! You are too funny for this world, Nehetsrev.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 09:11:18 am »
Quote from: Layonara Timeline
Speculation is that the first non-dragon Races started to appear. Many believe that the dragons and Dragon Gods created these races.

A quote directly from the Layonara Timeline found on LORE to help support the idea behind my previous post.  *winks*

----
Dragon god convesation continued:

Dragon god two:  "Oh!  What's that there you're working on?"

Dragon god one:  "You like that?  It's a variation on the Gnome design, I call it a Svirfneblin."

Dragon god two:  *looking completely dumbfounded* "Why?"

Dragon god one:  "Why not?  I was feeling a little silly when i started work on that one, so I gave it a silly name." *shrugs*

Dragon god two:  "Ooookay..."  *pause*  "Say, I'm noticing a trend here.  You're making your creations smaller and smaller aren't you?"

Dragon god one:  "Indeed!  I'm glad you noticed!  I call it 'miniturization'."

Dragon god two:  "Riiiight..."  *shakes it's head on it's long scaley neck* "Yappan, you're crazy, you know that?"

Dragon god one:  *smiling proudly over his ever-increasingly small creations*  "Yes, I am, aren't I?"

So in futures now long forgotten, it came to be known that miniturization was perfected by Yappan...which was often mis-pronounced with a 'J' sound at the beginning....

EdTheKet

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 10:26:15 am »
Quote from: Nehetsrev
Umm...maybe I'm misunderstanding the lore of Layonara a bit, but also couldn't we think that since it's believed by some that the dragon gods created the humanoid races of Layonara, that it was they that designated Halflings as Halflings, perhaps after previously creating Humans?  That would actually make sense to me.

-----
Dragon god one:  "Behold!  My newest creation!  Small, and stealthy, able to slip in places your larger Humans can't.  But, what should I call them?"

Dragon god two:  "Indeed, a fine creation, probably one of our best.  Hmmm... they are about half the height of those Humans, why not call them Halflings?"

Dragon god one:  "Right on!  Halflings they are then!"  *turning to the newly created and awakened Halfling*  "Go now my little one and wreak havoc across the world with your irrepressible self!  And know I name thee Halfling."  *maniacle laughter*

Oh nice :-)

Marswipp

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 12:39:17 pm »
Quote from: Nehetsrev
...it came to be known that miniturization was perfected by Yappan...which was often mis-pronounced with a 'J' sound at the beginning....
... :p *interprets that as a joke.*
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

lonnarin

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 03:19:54 pm »
Quote from: ycleption
Just a note:
Hobbits is entirely a Tolkienian term (perhaps derived from hobs or hobgoblins, etc.), and probably is still copyrighted, whereas drow is probably either a corruption of dwarrow (the plural of dwarf in old english), or the Scottish trowe (troll), or the Irish drow, (a type of fomori), or some other British isles variant, but in any case has a clear folklore etymology.

An added bit of linguistic trivia... using "Dwarves" as a plural first came into being in Tolkien's writing, all the while before they were referred to as "Dwarfs" in Norse and Medeival tales.  D&D uses the plural term "Dwarves" however, and these days only hardcore purists use the original term "Dwarfs".

Also, "Duergar" is a direct child of the term "Dvergar", or the dwarves of the Norse mythology.  Of course there is much debate as to the nature of Norse dwarfs... they seem to be synonymous with the "Dark Elfs" in old Norse tales.

Just a few nerdfacts you can use if you want to hit on that cute myoptic anime girl drinking ovaltine.

PS: Rakish Feiwallen is the first drow to sponsor the politically correct term "Subterranean Mistonian".

Witch Hunter

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 01:14:16 am »
Lawsuit!