The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Fire bomb used by Thunder peak Trollocs - TOUCH ATTACK CRITS VS DIFFICULTY SETTING  (Read 3004 times)

Dezza

Just a quiery as Im not sure if they are working how they are supposed to work or not.

One form of trolloc in the Thunder valley uses a fire or acid bomb attack.

My level 20 Rogue was hit by the Fire Bomb via a Ranged touch attack and subsequently took 84 points of dmg with no save and thus died.

I'm wondering why I get no save against the dmg, especially since its a rogue with improved evasion, and also what is the dmg range on those Fire bombs? 84 is a heafty amount of damage.

Unknown User

Fire bomb used by Thunder peak Trollocs - TOUCH ATTACK CRITS VS
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:47:13 am »
Those fire bombs are ranged touch attacks. And here comes the tricky part. Even despite the difficulty setting, ranged touch attacks from creatures can still do critical damage. So what happened is, the trolloc rolled a 20, making it impossible to avoid if you don't have epic dodge or concealment and you get the crazy damage.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:51:24 am »
Filatus explained it perfectly.

Helpful hint, Dezza: get more HP.

Seriously, anything to raise your constitution will dramatically increase a character's survival rate, as well as feats like Toughness.

Because creatures hitting you for 50+ damage a pop is not uncommon at epic levels.

(I'm not saying you need to be epic to fight those particular trollocs or that one of those firebombs critting on you isn't heinous, just that more HP really, really does help.)

Unknown User

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:02:21 am »

Quote:

Originally Posted by miltonyorkcastle
               View Post

Filatus explained it perfectly.

Helpful hint, Dezza: get more HP.

Seriously, anything to raise your constitution will dramatically increase a character's survival rate, as well as feats like Toughness.

Because creatures hitting you for 50+ damage a pop is not uncommon at epic levels.

(I'm not saying you need to be epic to fight those particular trollocs or that one of those firebombs critting on you isn't heinous, just that more HP really, really does help.)

Best bit of advice I ever got from DM Milty. :P

davidhoff

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:14:34 am »
Funny how a rogue can evasion dodge chain lightning but not a Trolloc hand-thrown and bouncing bag of acid

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:32:51 am »

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhoff
               View Post

Funny how a rogue can evasion dodge chain  lightning but not a Trolloc hand-thrown and bouncing bag of acid

Well a fire bomb/acid bomb is more like napalm than "a bouncing bag" in that when it explodes, it includes something physical that sticks to you and delivers the damage. That's how I've always seen it, anyway, and it makes sense in the fact that they're ranged touch attacks and not simple area-of-effect attacks (which Evasion helps against greatly).

You can pass your hand through a flame quickly and not get burned, but try the same trick through a mass of burning liquid and you will probably not be so lucky.

EDIT: Do NOT try these at home, at work, or anywhere else. If you do, the responsibility for your stupidity is yours alone.

darkstorme

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:02:28 pm »
What's "molten led"?  Did someone melt down a bunch of diodes?

Dorganath

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 07:07:18 pm »
*slaps forehead*

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 09:15:39 pm »
*edits*  Molten LEAD!  *curses homonymns*

Dorganath

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 10:16:31 pm »

Quote: