The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Disappearing Magic  (Read 7650 times)

Alazira

Disappearing Magic
« on: April 10, 2011, 03:40:27 pm »
Description: Every so often, I'll be playing Jillian (and it's only her, not my other characters) and all my buffs disappear.  If anyone tries to rebuff me, those buffs disappear.  It's sporadic, with no known trigger.  It is annoying and probably deadly to have your buffs just randomly disappear.  It has been happening for months, if not her whole life.  Only solution I have found is to log all the way out of NWN and back in, but then I still have to hope someone around me has more buffs for me.  

Location: Anywhere I happen to be.  Below ground, above ground, fighting areas, cities, etc.

Verified: Most recent witnesses were cbnicholson and Serissa

Reproducable: It happens spordically, so not reproducable on request.

The following users thanked this post: cbnicholson

Lance Stargazer

Re: Disappearing Magic
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 03:47:07 pm »
Hello Alazira

Could you please format your request with this format

It will also help us greatly if you let us know where are the areas that usually happen ,

Thank you,

cbnicholson

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 05:01:26 pm »
Specifically this time was the diamond area in the deep after the no magic area.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:50:53 pm »
Have you verified that your buffs are going away by looking at your character window and making sure all the increases and things are gone?  Sometimes the icons at the top of the game window disappear but don't necessarily reflect the correct state of your character's magical enhancements.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:15:14 pm »
I seem to recall Daniella having a similar problem relating to the use of Divine Might and/or Shield.  I am going to investigate...

Alazira

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:27:45 pm »
Yes, they truely go away.  Not just the icons.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:08:08 pm »
[LORE]Jillian Stuart[/LORE] is a Paladin/Undead Slayer. Grid Blader had/has a similar [THREAD=134532]problem[/THREAD] with his Undead Slayer.

Alazira

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 07:31:34 pm »
Did a solution to Q's problem ever result from that post string that wasn't posted?

Alazira

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 04:42:54 pm »
I thought of something.  I don't know if it is related to this issue or not... but I'll give it a shot.

You know how when you log in, it usually says your name and your class...  Mine for her says Jillian Stuart Paladin/Bad Strref.  It doesn't actually say Undead Slayer.  Could that have something to do with it?

jadewillow

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 05:28:09 pm »
I doubt it. Most if not all Layo special classes come up with some random text in that window. The text for my Bard/Skald/Spellsword can be pretty entertaining at times.

Dorganath

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 08:41:37 pm »
Quote from: Alazira
I thought of something.  I don't know if it is related to this issue or not... but I'll give it a shot.

You know how when you log in, it usually says your name and your class...  Mine for her says Jillian Stuart Paladin/Bad Strref.  It doesn't actually say Undead Slayer.  Could that have something to do with it?

Like jadewillow said, this has to do with how NWN loads custom content, or rather...when.

Our HAKs are not loaded by the NWN client until after you select a character and log in. As such, our labels for some classes (and a few other things) are not loaded on the character choice screen, resulting in your "Bad Strref" labels and other sorts of labels that don't make sense.

Alazira

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 09:20:36 pm »
Thanks both Jade and Dorg.  I figured it was worth a shot.

Alazira

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 03:36:26 am »
Oookay,

You asked for a specific time and location.  This time it was 3:31am EST (like 5 minutes ago) in Whitehorn Forest - Western Borders.  Noone else was around to witness.  Just me and the wildlife.

Thanks,

Katie

Chongo

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 11:25:03 am »
NWN's mobile area of effect bug?

Though that usually only ends the defensive AoEs prematurely, not every spell active.  Hmm... maybe not - throwing it in the pool though.

Alazira

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 04:48:16 am »
Another specific time and local.  4:48am EST first room in the goblin caves outside Hlint.  Again, noone else was around to witness it.

Alazira

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 05:21:27 am »
Another specific time and local: 5:22am EST Silkwood Forest.

Alazira

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 11:05:59 am »
Another specific time - 11:05am Dragon Isles - Aryte with Samantha Merrit a/k/a Alatriel

Alazira

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 04:58:13 pm »
Rusty River, yesterday at 7:47pm

Vehl Crypts, today at 445pm (I had William Leox with me in Crypts, but it wasn't a lot of magic so I'm not sure he noticed it.)

If you want me to stop with specific times and places, say so.  Just figure whatever info I give you may help.

Katie

davidhoff

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 06:21:27 pm »
*shakes head* this must be so annoying for you.  It sounds like a coding/scripting issue where, upon some trigger, the game suddenly thinks you have no spell casting ability at all.  Maybe a comprarison of the codes/scripting for a Spellsword to that of an Undead Slayer would reveal something.  The spell adjustments made by these two classes work similar, but for some reason the US class seems to be messing things up.

scifibarbie

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 12:15:05 am »
Actually...My spellsword is having a similar issue of late. Though instead of losing all her buffs, all of her ability to cast 1st and 5th level spells goes poof!

Though it only appears to be happening on the central server and not west.

Upon being buffed by a cleric or paladin of various faiths, all of her 1st and 5th level spells are used up even though she hasnt cast any of them.

Dont know if this is in any way similar to what is happening to her. But it is a fairly regular occurance of late with abi.