The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Disappearing Magic  (Read 7655 times)

Alazira

Re: Disappearing Magic
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 12:26:23 am »
It's not just spells I cast upon myself.  It is any magic on me at all.  Any spells by me or another person, barkskin helm, even an ion stone.

Alazira

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 01:19:33 am »
Another time and place and witness...

Creedo - South of Tilmar
Approx. 12:20am EST
Witness - Riley Alexander

Alazira

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 11:44:58 am »
Forest of the Fog (the folian's temple board.. but not actually in the temple area)
Just now
Witnesses: Samantha Merrit (Alatriel), Naldin, Aden, and Ty Reid Dragonheart

Alatriel

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »
Just for clarification here also, this happened without the magic circle against alignment as well, so it's not that bug.

Alazira

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 03:42:21 pm »
Haven Mines, just a few minutes ago.

Witnesses: Riley Alexander, Breanna, Lemont Blair, and Micus

Alazira

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 12:12:37 am »
Spirit Dunes - Duneswept Canyons
Just now

witnesses: Riley Alexander and Breanna

davidhoff

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 01:00:33 am »
This is a long shot, but maybe you're dispelling rune is activating accidentally some how.  Why don't you try keeping it off Jil's person for a while (keep it in storage or trash it).  If you stop losing your wards you'll know that was the problem.  At least its something to try.

Alazira

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 08:50:59 pm »
Again... just now..

Spider Caves

Witnesses: Riley Alexander, SehKy, Keela

A side note... I just thought to check and the magics on my weapon remained, just everything on me is gone.

Alazira

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 01:14:32 pm »
Again.. just now.. Ice Caves

Witnesses: Riley Alexander, Breanna, Aden, and Lemont Blair

Alazira

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 03:22:12 pm »
And again.. just now..

Witnesses: Riley Alexander, Breanna, Lemont Blair, and Aden

blonde

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 02:10:54 am »
Maybe you could be given permission to create a new character and with DM help level up to Jillian's level, taking the same feats and abilities. Then you could run around with that character and see if it happens. If not, you know it is something specific with Jillian or an item Jillian carries.

Dorganath

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 11:21:13 pm »
What might be helpful is an accounting of what spells and effects were active on  your character at the time. I'm beginning to wonder if there is one in particular which is too aggressive in canceling effects.

For some technical insight, NWN doesn't cancel "spells" but rather types of effects.  Invisibility, for example, is an effect, not a spell. I could make a new spell (or edit an existing one) that made the target invisible. Anything that overcomes or dispels invisibility would still work on this spell, even though it's not typically an Invisibility spell. In that context, when a spell, effect or power expires, it removes the effects, though sometimes the effects are not as specific as one might like.

Anyway, what would help is to know what spells, powers, triggered feats and the like were active upon your character.  My suspicion is that there's nothing wrong with your character as such that would be causing this but rather the possibility of a class property or power that is at fault.

The order in which the spells/powers/properties/buffs are applied would also be helpful. If you keep logs, this will all be shown in the log. If not, it's a good suggestion anyway, but failing that, just write them down.

Alazira

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 06:55:59 am »
Thanks Dorg,  I will start doing that.

Alazira

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 05:05:13 pm »
I have had many many logs and no log ever shows anything odd.  It still happens regularly.  Should I keep posting it?

Dorganath

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 12:20:45 am »
I'm not really interested in things that are odd.  I'm more interested in finding commonalities with these occurrences and what spells or spell-like effects you may have active when it occurs.

My suspicion is that some spell, when it is expiring, is taking away some other effects (rare but possible) due to the way in which it cancels them.

So start with the case of your character only buffing herself (meaning no buffs from anyone else), and see if it happens. That's the most controllable case there is, because you can know exactly what effects are at work and how long their durations should be. Make note of the spells and make note of when they seem to disappear.

Alazira

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 09:06:42 am »
Will conduct an investigation and get back to you.

Thanks Dorg!

Alazira

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 08:05:43 pm »
Interesting thing I just noticed...

I was out adventuring, but had been done for a while and all my spells died a natural death at the same time as the other person with me.  So, nothing funny there.  But then I was running down a road and realized I wasn't getting the haste the road normally gives, while the other player was.  So, for giggles I tried casting a bulls on myself and it immediately disappeared.  So, apparently my bug happened when no magics were on me and it even affects the haste the road gives you.

I'll keep looking to see if I can notice a pattern though.

Alazira

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 11:40:34 pm »
OK.. after looking for patterns for a while, all I can say is there is none.  Sometimes it happens 2 seconds after a rest, sometimes not for hours, sometimes it happens when I have spells on me, sometimes it happens when I'm just sitting around a campfire without any spells on me, there doesn't appear to be anything that is happening to trigger it.

Another oddity I noticed however is that when I'm under the effects of whatever this is, the afk marker of mine doesn't work.  I'm talking about the swirly gig around you.  I give the command, it says I'm in afk mode, but the swirly gig isn't there.  So, it isn't just spells.

Thanks!

Katie

Dorganath

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »
Quote from: Alazira
Sometimes it happens 2 seconds after a rest, sometimes not for hours, sometimes it happens when I have spells on me, sometimes it happens when I'm just sitting around a campfire without any spells on me, there doesn't appear to be anything that is happening to trigger it.

OK, I'm confused now.  How can spell effects disappear two seconds after a rest or when you're "sitting around a campfire without any spells on you"?  I don't understand what you're saying here or how it's applicable to your original complaint.  What is the "it" that's happening? Is it something different than what you've been saying?

Alazira

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 07:29:00 pm »
It has happened when I was sitting around a campfire.  I know this because when I came to the campfire I was fine (the haste was working on the roads, etc.) and then when I went to leave the campfire and tried to cast spells on myself they wouldn't stick (which is what happens after all the spells drop until I log all the way back out and back in).

As for happening after a rest, I would rest (with magic still active on me before resting) and then when trying to cast magic on myself just after resting, the magic wouldn't stick (thus telling me it had happened again).

It's the same thing I told you before (that the spells will disappear sporadically and then if anyone tries to recast on me the spells cast disappear immediately until I log all the way out and back in).  I just added the afk marker as I had recently noticed that.

Katie