The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The Great Rift, first spawn at the City  (Read 4085 times)

Chazzler

Re: The Great Rift, first spawn at the City
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 07:11:31 am »
Stop squabbling with each other and keep to the point please.
The thing is, that the spawn is not Random per se.
The spawn for the first time triggered is just like the others in the city beyond the transition after the first spawn.
The First time you try to go through that spawn, you get the 1 mage (or perhaps 2 if you're really, really high level), with added Shadowblade and Warrior named dark elves.
The second time you go through that area and all the times after that (2nd, 3rd, 4th etc) you get 4-6 mages and a couple of the Shadowblade and Warrior types.

The other spawns beyond the area transition continue to spawn a Single mage, and then Shadowblade and Warriors.

Dorganath

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 11:22:13 am »
My last words on the subject:

I've located the spawn in question.  The mages are properly marked as "unique" so unless NWN is glitching (and we have zero control over that), there should never be multiple mages spawning there.

There are three possible creatures that can spawn there. All three are the same CR.

I do not care for the way the last builder of that area designed the spawn's parameters. It really allows for zero flexibility and scaling, and I'm left to wonder if this isn't part of the problem, though the same construction appears elsewhere without issue.

I'll make a couple of suggestions to Script Wrecked for adjustment to see if it makes a difference.

Quote from: Chazzler
Stop squabbling with each other and keep to the point please.

Couldn't agree more.

Bug report threads are not debate threads. Any side commentary that doesn't directly add to the understanding and resolution of the problem being reported is unhelpful and unnecessary. If you want to debate a side-tangent, take it elsewhere.

And following my own advice...

http://forums.layonara.com/layonara-server/286412-difficulty-randomness-changes.html

Dezza

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 04:13:32 pm »
I think what is occuring is the mages wander. So when you enter the city they spawn immediately and begin to wander and they have long sight so you potentially encounter several mages close together which may seemingly feel like they have come from one spawn.

This is after carefully thinking back to the many trips where Sasha tried to break through there.

For what its worth I like the area as it is. You need to overcome quite dangerous situations to reach what is a potential treasure trove of ore in adamantium and cobalt.

As Chazzler says, once you get past the city the rest is easy for the levle of char going through there.

Perhaps it is worth bringing one vein of adamantium before the city for those lower levels or soloists who'd never have a chance to go past the city?

Chazzler

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 04:40:14 am »
I disagree on the Dezza's point of wandering monsters unfortunately.
There is quite probably just one spawn triggered at the entrance to the city just past the bridges, for there is an area transition just after them (and the spawns further away are probably triggered after entering that transition and advancing a bit).

On a side note, last night, twice, the spawns worked as before, just like the spawns beyond the place I made the bug report of, the group for the 1st time was some 6-7 people, and on the 2nd time it was 5 people.

The other times it has been less than 5 people IIRC, weird.

Guardian 452

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 10:25:08 am »
The time we got sacked by all the mages they came from one spawn, yep.

Odd that a lower level (22, 20, & 16) & a group with only 3 people spawned so many mages. That's why the bug post was made *nods* :)

So need another small lower level group to test the spawn a few times. I will be glad to test this again... but I'd like to have a GM present observing, or in party playing... I'm not giving up any more SS's to a bug.

Dorganath

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 02:18:56 pm »
Quote from: Guardian 452
I'm not giving up any more SS's to a bug.

Soul Strands never have to be permanently lost due to bugs. It's just a matter of determining whether it is truly a bug or not that can be the key question.

Regardless, legitimate, sanctioned testing need not be feared, but having a GM present is a good idea.

As mentioned above, I made a couple of suggestions to Script Wrecked about this. There's nothing obviously wrong about the spawn to make it behave like what is reported, so what we're looking at is some possible combination of factors that's causing NWN to glitch.  I can tell you with great certainty that the parameters of this spawn are no different than those in the next area where everything is reportedly working perfectly.

davidhoff

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »
There is another place in the Deep near some fire elementals, that sometimes triggers 4-5 "Darkelf Magic Users of the Rift" and other times triggers dark elf fighter types only.  So it may be something to do with that type of spawn changing vs the pary type/makeup.

Guardian 452

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 11:02:22 pm »
Yeah that's why I was saying check the spawns a few times with grpups of similar size and levels.