The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The Great Rift, first spawn at the City  (Read 4086 times)

Chazzler

The Great Rift, first spawn at the City
« on: November 29, 2012, 02:51:42 pm »
Location: The Great Rift, Central, City at bottom, right past the bridges.

Reproducable:

Verified:

Description: The first spawn at the Great Rift's city has given 5-6 mages per spawn lately with the current server being "up". The first time Unther and Dan Hardhammer went there (Rift was untouched, traps and all that), the spawn worked as usual.
Having 5-6 mages in the spawn pretty much makes it impossible for any level 20-ish party to cross the place alive, what with them having premonition and tossing 40-60 damage dealing Meteor Showers and Horrid Wiltings in unison.

The following users thanked this post: mumbles

Guardian 452

Re: The Great Rift, first spawn at the City
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:12:51 pm »
Another SS gone for Dot, from being teamed up on by said mages. :(

Party was:
Sein (level 22)
Dot (level 20)
Deacon (level 16)

cbnicholson

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:29:38 pm »
That has always been a very nasty fight, but I have to back Chazzler up, there was more than one mage at that spawn when I was through there with DB after the update.  The rest of the party was lvls 20-25.  DB was the high one at 28.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:41:37 pm »
Servers restarted.  Please verify spawns whenever possible or convenient....if possible with the same/similar group.

Chazzler

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:41:45 am »
The doors and gates were opened and traps were disabled / taken away in the Great Rift today, and there were 4-5 mages again at the spawn.

xsweetpeaxs

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 11:38:08 am »
I just want to let you know the traps and doors were unlocked because Xiomara and Shyntyl went down there when the server first resetted. I think we were the first ones. Now I don't know if the traps were suppose to "rearmed" or not.

As for the number of mages, I am not sure. It is chaotic and all I remember is fighting and trying to stay alive. Shyntyl had multiple storms up and it was just chaos! It is hard but doable if you are fully buffed, with spell resistance, foe, etc etc etc.

wild_down_under

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:51:18 am »
Ummmm.... she forgot to mention we did die twice :\\  but unluckily no SS was lost. So I guess it is hard but doable :D

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 12:48:00 pm »
As a point of information...

Given the descriptions, I don't think this area was changed in the last update. Only those areas which were previously dead magic areas were altered.

mumbles

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 03:17:58 pm »
the main point is the spawns seem to change , you can go in withe the same lvl group range on two different occassion , the first time you might come up against 2 mages and drow wpm , then ive been in with exactly the same group on a different occassion , and theres been 5 mages

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 03:46:10 pm »
Quote from: mumbles
the main point is the spawns seem to change , you can go in withe the same lvl group range on two different occassion , the first time you might come up against 2 mages and drow wpm , then ive been in with exactly the same group on a different occassion , and theres been 5 mages

I understand the main point. I also do not doubt your observations.  My comment was just meant as information: That the area (and thereby the spawn in question) did not change in the last update when I changed other Great Rift areas.  

If the spawn is behaving in this way it is therefore very likely that it was a) designed this way and b) has potentially been doing this for a very long time, meaning since the last time it got any attention at all, which I believe was 2-3 years ago minimum.  Whether that is a "bug" or not remains to be seen.

xsweetpeaxs

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 05:14:30 pm »
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but if the spawn changes doesn't that make it funner? I mean you don't know what you are going to get O.o  If that was by design then I think it's great. It makes it more unpredictable and exciting :D

Dezza

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 02:27:02 am »
I can attest to the fact that it does in fact spawn upto 5 mages almost seemingly at random.  Sasha lost 5 SS just crossing this city in her time mining in the Rift.

It was my own fault but I did find the difficulty exciting!

Dorganath

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 08:34:43 am »
@Dezza, So it's been like that for a while?

Dezza

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »
I would say...yes!

Guardian 452

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 11:46:01 pm »
I'm all for more fun and excitement. Getting slaughtered by an Over Powered spawn isn't my idea of fun. .... yours? Then you know right where to go! lol

Remove the SS system and sure I'd have no problem with a random spawn that sometimes would be so strong you stood no chance.

Spawn functioning as designed and acceptable for area?

or

Spawn needs adjusted?

thanks

Dorganath

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 11:59:53 pm »
It's not really random. It follows rules set down by the encounter parameters. It may seem random due to party composition and things, but there's no "every once in a while, make it overwhelming" setting.

Also, please don't use bug report threads to soapbox for other issues. ;)

Guardian 452

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 12:03:55 am »
Soapbox moved aside
Quote from: Guardian 452

Spawn functioning as designed and acceptable for area?

or

Spawn needs adjusted?

thanks

xsweetpeaxs

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 12:22:07 am »
Personally, the spawn randomness reminds me of Thunderpeak Misted village area. When you enter the village, each spawn has 3 enemies to kill. Of the 3 enemies, there could be spear guy, bard singing guy, the axe wielding dwarf guy, the goblin, or the "witch" that zap your strength with her sneak attack. Depending on the randomness, you'll get different combinations of those types for every spawn. If you are unlucky, you get 3 witches, where probably one of them will be stabbing you from behind and your strength will be zapped in no time.

Similarly for the Great Rift first spawn at the city, it appears to be random combinations consisting between the mages, weaponmaster, and the rogues. Depending on your 'luck' you'll get different types. As mumbles has said, different spawns for same group at different times. Keep in mind this is the dark elf's home/city afterall. Of course it will be extra protected at times. Additionally, the nice CNRs that are down there should be protected. With that said, I personally think the spawn is working as designed; it shouldn't be a walk in the park down there ;)

davidhoff

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 02:46:12 am »
Just to add my Rift experience:  That spawn has always been the same for my characters (1 mage per group with some fighter types) and I've been down there quite a bit, with different parties, with different characters and when my char's were at various levels.

As far as spawn randomness, I think its great and a nice spice.  But, I think that it can be dangerous and unfair if we're not told which ones will spawn random, because we will "expect" the game mechanics to act the exact same way and engage the spawn accordingly.

Dezza

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 06:32:16 am »
Quote from: davidhoff
Just to add my Rift experience:  That spawn has always been the same for my characters (1 mage per group with some fighter types) and I've been down there quite a bit, with different parties, with different characters and when my char's were at various levels.

As far as spawn randomness, I think its great and a nice spice.  But, I think that it can be dangerous and unfair if we're not told which ones will spawn random, because we will "expect" the game mechanics to act the exact same way and engage the spawn accordingly.

So does that mean you'd be unhappy if a GM went ahead of you and mixed up a spawn to provide some stimulation to an otherwise second by second planned trip? Hmmmm...