The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Weird & Mind Immune Monsters  (Read 2100 times)

Chazzler

Weird & Mind Immune Monsters
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:39:55 am »
[SIZE=16]Bug Report[/SIZE]

Description: I have noticed in the past and not so distant past, that when trying to slay creatures that have Mind Effect Immunity by casting Weird on them, the text "Creature is Immune to Mind Affecting Spells" or a synonyme text describing the recipient to the spell is immune to the spell due to mind immunity pops up in the combat window. I have noticed this happening particularly when fighting the Fire Giants on Belinara.
I'm not sure if the fire giants are the same as the ones in Biowares original campaign, but those I recall too were immune to mind effects, and I'm not sure if the difference between being a layo-custom monster with mind immunity vs. being a bioware design monster with mind immunity makes a difference (just a thought?).

Verified:

Reproducable: I've seen this happen many many times both when I was playing Godim Harjumaa, and when I have been later on playing Chakar

Filatus

Re: Weird & Mind Immune Monsters
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:20:30 am »
Weird also has a 1 round stun effect if both the will and fort save are succesfully passed. Maybe this is why the text pops up?

Chazzler

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:33:47 am »
This needs some testing I think?
I think I at some point examined my logs and saw the giants' roll below the DC, and then the text popped up.
The text doesn't pop up on every single foe, and spell, but it is frequent.

orth

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:44:50 pm »
This was fixed in April 2017 along with some other tweaks. Please let me know if otherwise.

WarriorOfTheLance

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 11:33:51 pm »
TL;DR;
Fire Giants (should not be) / (are not) immune to mind spells anywhere in the world but layonara (if they are immune to them here)

Fire Giants in the OC are not immune to mind spells
They are immune to fire, but vulnerable to cold... they have a will save of 5... no immunity to mind spells, not on their skin, their weapon, or their armor.... not granted by a script, special ability, feat, or item.
there is one fire giant blueprint in the OC that has a will save of 8.

To see this you can open any of the OC modules by copying them from the nwm directory to the modules directory of your NWN install... rename all of them to have the extension .mod and then you can open them in the toolset and edit/look as much as your heart desires...

Chapter 1 does not have any fire giants in the custom pallete or the module
Chapter 1E does not have any fire giants in the custom pallete (didn't search the module)
Chapter 2 does not have any fire giants in the custom pallete (didn't search the module)
Chapter 2E does not have any fire giants in the custom pallete (didn't search the module)
Chapter 3 has fire giants in the custom pallete
Chapter 4 does not have any fire giants in the custom pallete (didn't search the module)

If fire giants are immune to mind spells on layo, it's the only place in the world they are immune to them
https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Fire_Giant_(3.5e_Monster)
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Fire_Giant
http://forum.nwnights.ru/uploads/rulebooks/Core_Books/Monster_Manual.pdf

you can search the module and look for a special case if you want using edit -> find instance and look for the tags, or the blueprint resref (required to place an instance in the module) of the creature you're looking for.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:56:39 pm by WarriorOfTheLance »

orth

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 12:11:08 am »
Fire giants on Layonara do not have an immunity to mind spells, the Sorceress wears gloves that give them an immunity to fear. The old Weird was not working properly on fear immunity due to a bug on Bioware's part in saving throw functions, where not all subtypes checked the immunity correctly.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:19:27 am by orth »

davidhoff

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 12:41:28 am »
I think the Destroyer's are immune to mind, but the Ravagers are not immune to mind; my best recollection.

The following users thanked this post: willhoff

orth

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:30:24 am »
I think the Destroyer's are immune to mind, but the Ravagers are not immune to mind; my best recollection.

Thanks for the tip davidhoff, some of the Layo Fire Giant Destroyers do wear Cowl of Wardings, yes, which would give them mind spell immunities. Must have been a sale on oversized ones and they bought them in bulk.

The following users thanked this post: davidhoff, willhoff

anything