The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Character Resubmission for Xiao Lin  (Read 527 times)

ChrysEllis

Character Resubmission for Xiao Lin
« on: June 05, 2020, 11:00:47 pm »
Name: Xiao Lin
Class(es): Monk/Rogue
Race: Half-Elf
Subrace (if applicable):
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Deity (if devoted):
Domains (if cleric):
Biography and Description: See https://forums.layonara.com/development-journals-and-discussion/xiao-lin-straying-from-the-path/msg10455837/?topicseen#new

ChrysEllis

Re: Character Resubmission for Xiao Lin
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 11:15:00 am »
This is meant to get the process started,  and I anticipate there will be more I need to do.   I just don't know what that is,  so I would appreciate any guidance to expedite the approval process.

Weeping Lily

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 11:34:51 am »
Hey there,

as per the character submission guidelines, you are applying for a secondary class after lvl 30. I will link you the passage which applies here: https://forums.layonara.com/character-submissions/character-submission-long-version-updated-to-march-18th-2016/msg10449156/#msg10449156

"Characters approved for an additional class beyond what was established prior to level twenty-one (21) must take five (5) levels or more consecutively upon initiating levels in the new class." As your character is already level 35 this means you will have to take the levels up to 40 with the new class. After 40, you may apply for another class, take another 5 levels of rogue or request a CDQ to enter the path of a monk again (taken from https://wiki.layonara.com/wiki/Restricted_Multiclassing).

There are several ways to support a new class: "We require some sort of documentation of these roleplay aspects. They may come in the form of: Well maintained CDT/PCDT*, GM testimony, CDQ or a mix and match of two or more options. When using GM testimony as an option alone we ask for the testimony of three different GMs in the capacity as GM not as player. There may be a need for more then one posting for each depending on the request. We consider these requests on a case by case basis and in some, there may be new precedent. Because we likely cannot reasonably predict each and every possibility we leave this as a general statement to explain the process. If more detailed information is desired, please post in the Ask A Gamemaster forum or go ahead and post in the Submissions forum and the CA staff will guide the player through whatever is necessary for the character in question."

Also note that gaining any new class past level 30 is also a bit harder: "New classes added after level thirty (30) are very difficult to obtain and will require substantial RP support."

Seeing you just opened a CDT, we will need some more input to reflect his possible choice to enter a new path and abandon his chapter. The rules state the following: "Well maintained CDTs/PCDTs are considered to be entries that span no less then two (2) real life weeks and are consistently updated every few days. We will not mandate a minimum post number or spacing at this time. Some resubmissions may require more development then this and will be judged on a case by case basis. If a player is curious about their particular situation, please post in the Ask A Gamemaster forum with the specifics so we may be able to guide you appropriately."

All the quotes are from the post in my first link. The first post in the CDT is a good start and also a good read. Keep in mind that a rogue is more than just a few skill points. Every class can set traps, pick locks and the like, given they invest points in cross-class skills. It is expensive, but entirely possible.

I hope this gives you a little more insight on how to proceed from here.

ChrysEllis

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 06:30:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I do have a question regarding the five level requirement.  Would there have to be five levels taken when reaching level 40, or is it just that I would need five levels in rogue before transitioning to something else (either back to monk or another class)?  I ask because, ideally, I could take my next level (36) in monk, and then transition to rogue over the course of gaining XP toward 37. 

This would give me more time to RP the transition, and I know a couple players who have already said that would support me in that effort.  Otherwise, things will be a bit "on hold" for Xiao, as he will be waiting to level to 36 until it is determined whether he can do so as a rogue or not.  I would likely remain on that path from that point forward, anyway, so meeting the five level requirement will not be a problem.

Also, I recognize that being a rogue means more than just having the skills mentioned.  I would like Xiao to really warm to the idea over time, after spending time with rogues and discovering the ways they can contribute and the special and unique things they can do.

I look forward to further discussion on this.

- Lane

Weeping Lily

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 05:14:59 am »
Would there have to be five levels taken when reaching level 40, or is it just that I would need five levels in rogue before transitioning to something else (either back to monk or another class)?
As the first link on my original implies, you will have to take 5 consecutive levels in the new class if the resubmission gets approved.

I ask because, ideally, I could take my next level (36) in monk, and then transition to rogue over the course of gaining XP toward 37.
That is possible. It is also possible to toggle XP if the process takes longer, just as a reminder.

ChrysEllis

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 11:21:29 am »
Hi Lily,

Just checking in to see where we are with Xiao's development towards Rogue.  He has been training with Fehriel, as well as observing and learning the do's and don'ts from other rogues, such as Nate, Liliah, etc.

Xiao has been journaling his training experience, and Fehriel has made some notes in his, as well.

Here is Xiao's: https://forums.layonara.com/development-journals-and-discussion/xiao-lin-straying-from-the-path/
and Feh's: https://forums.layonara.com/development-journals-and-discussion/the-wind-and-the-leaf/msg10455884/?topicseen#new

If there is more you would like to see, just let me know.  Thanks!

- Lane

ChrysEllis

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 02:24:24 am »
Another post has been submitted in Xiao's journal, regarding his training as a Rogue. 

https://forums.layonara.com/development-journals-and-discussion/xiao-lin-straying-from-the-path/

- Lane

anything