The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Basic Beginners Guide to Crafting  (Read 1549 times)

Leanthar

Basic Beginners Guide to Crafting
« on: May 26, 2005, 12:49:00 pm »
***Initially posted by Twidget658***
  How to make an arrow: CRFTNG/104   Collect feathers from various areas around Hlint. Raven and falcon are close. To the west, north and east of Hlint is where you can find them. (Must have skinning knife.)   Smelting  -Collect copper or other metal (Goblin’s cave and will need a heavy pick)  -Put nugget into public furnace at the smith’s  You now have an ingot.   Tinkering  -Collect clay (Lake Alon and need a shovel)  -Put in Tinkering Furnace to make a small mold (need tinkering tools)  -Put small mold and an ingot of copper or other metal into tinkering machine.  You may now have arrowheads.   Wood crafting  -Collect hickory or other wood (Hlint North Outskirts and need a woodcutting axe)  -Put into the carpenter’s bench (need carpenter’s tools)  -Make the shaft for missile weapons  You now have arrow shafts.   Wood crafting  -Put feather, wooden missile shafts, and arrowhead on Fletcher’s bench.  You now have arrows.   Easy! Oh, by the way, anywhere in this process you can fail and lose everything. It is not a perfect world.

The following users thanked this post: Hellblazer, VolcanosD

Leanthar

RE: Basic Beginners Guide to Crafting
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 06:43:00 am »
* Initially posted by aragwen*
  How to make a bow:   Raw Materials needed  - Wood (Hickory North of Hlint and Oak in Broken Forest) (need axe)  - Spider Silk (Sielwood Forest)  - Sand (Lake Alon - East of Hlint)  - Gum arabic (West of Blackford Castle) (could also be north) **will check and correct   Cooking  - Get some sawdust 2 bags (use wood crafting to get sawdust)  - Get a water bucket (buy from innkeeper)  - Go to the inn's kitchen  - Fill the water bucket and use the press to create paper   - Take paper to the baker's oven and create scroll  - Take scroll and add sand (3 pieces) and gum arabic (1 piece) and put in baker's oven  - Result is Sandpaper   Tailoring  - Take spider silk (2 pieces) and use tailor needle (need sewing kit)  - Result bow string   Wood crafting  - Take wood and sandpaper to carpenter bench (need carpenter tools)  - Create short stave  - Use short stave and bow string  - Result Short Bow   If you want to make a Long bow create Long stave   Easy....yeah right....you will have to practice hard. I nearly chopped the whole wood of in Hlint before I got my first short bow.   If I figure it out I will post how to make a composite bow.   Regards  Jacchri

Variable

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:06:00 pm »
An Enchanter's Starting Guide:

How to Make a Potion:
-Purchase glass vials from the crafts merchant
-Place the glass vials in an enchanting pool at a temple
-Bless them and you have Holy water

Turining Holy Water into Potions:
-Collect skeleton knuckles in the crypts
-Place skeleton knuckles along with holy water in the enchanting pool
-Now cast the cure of the strength you want the potion.

Now you have curing potions

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 12:31:00 pm »
Getting started in Alchemy:

Step 1: Obtain the inards of the various types of beetles from the seilwood forest (skinning knife required)

Step 2:  Repeat these basic recipies

Alchemist's fire:
Purchase glass flasks (craft vendor)
Obtain the bellies of fire beetles
Place both into the Alchemy table in equal quantities

Acid Flask:
Obtain the bellies of bombardier beetles

Choking Powder:
Purchase small leather pouches (craft vendor)
Obtain the glands from stink beetles

Tanning oil:
Obtain yellow mushrooms (Zhainge River)
Obtain the bellies from fire beetles
Place all three into the Alchemy table in equal quantities

Step 3: Repeat these steps a lot.

(for extra credit, make your own flasks through tinkering)

Note: Many/most of the other alchemy recipies require cross-craft skills and products.  Brush up on your cooking (flours, juices and oils) and gem crafting (gem dusts a-plenty).

twidget658

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 06:21:00 pm »
How to make a short sword:

Smelting
-Collect copper or other metal (Goblin’s cave and will need a heavy pick)
-Put nugget into public furnace at the smith’s
You now have an ingot.

Tinkering
-Collect clay (Lake Alon and need a shovel)
-Put in Tinkering Furnace to make a medium mold (need tinkering tools)
You may now have a mold.

Smelting
-Place the mold and 4 ingots onto the Anvil-Weapon Making (equip a smith’s hammer)
You now may have a short sword.

The same process is used for other types of weapons. The difference is the number of ingots, the size of the molds, and the metal used.

twidget658

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 06:24:00 pm »
How to make a small shield:

Smelting
-Collect copper or other metal  
You now have an ingot.

Smelting
-Place the ingots onto the Anvil-Armor Making (equip a smith’s hammer)
You now may have a small shield.

Faldred

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 12:06:57 pm »
How to make a copper greenstone (+1 save vs. poison) ring:

Smelting
-Collect copper (Goblin’s cave and will need a heavy pick)
You now have an ingot.

Tinkering
-Collect clay (Lake Alon and need a shovel)
-Put in Tinkering Furnace to make a ring mold

Gem Crafting
-Collect raw greenstone (Goblin’s cave and will need a gem mining pick)
-Put uncut gem on gem carving table (requires gem crafter's tools and equipped gem carving chisel)
-Place cut gem and flask of gem polish (buy from craft vendor) in equal quantites on gem polishing table
-Place polished gem, ring mold, and ingot on lesser jeweler's bench (requires gem setting tool)
You (may) now have a ring

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
    • Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Beginners Guide to Crafting
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 07:38:47 pm »
heh.  thought I'd throw my bit in here:

Scribing:

To make a blank scroll
-Take branch of wood, put on carpenter's bench
-make sawdust
-buy bucket of water, combine water with sawdust on farmer's press
-take parchment to oven, make blank scroll

To make ink
-take egg, glass vial, honey, and ingredient of school (come on, I have to make some aspect of this challenging)
-put on ink table, choose ink appropriate to ingredient

To scribe a scroll
-take ink, blank scroll, and gem dust (as appropriate to level, see above about challenging) and put on scribing station
-make scroll

LordCove

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 10:45:49 am »
Cooking Bread:

- Gather lot's of Corn, place in the Mill and turn into Corn Meal
- Put the Corn Meal into the Press and turn into Corn Oil
- Put Wheat into the Mill and turn into Wheat Flour
- Put Wheat Flour, Corn Oil, Salt and Baker's yeast into the Baker's Oven
- Cook on Full heat for 1 hour.....and hey Presto.....one wheat bread.

( Salt and Baker's yeast can be bought from the Craft Vendor )

Faldred

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 05:34:32 am »
LordCove - 1/3/2007  1:45 PM ( Salt and Baker's yeast can be bought from the Craft Vendor )
Salt can also be found as CNR, not far from Hlint; also I believe that recipe is for wheat bread, not corn bread.  Crafting a Wand of Acid Splash (a difficult and expensive hobby, be warned!)  Collect, make, or purchase:
    (Lots) White mushrooms (Hlint sewers)
    1 Mineral greenstone (Goblin's cave and need gem mining pick)
    (Several) Mineral malachite (Seilwood cave and need gem mining pick)
    2+ Mineral amethyst (not telling!)
    5 Empty flasks
    1 Enchanting oil (can be made with a lot of alchemy practice)
    2+ Hickory branch (Hlint North Outskirts and requires woodcutter's axe)
    3 Bits of sand (Lake Alon)
    1 Gum arabic (West of Blackford Castle)
    [/list] Go to Carpenter's Bench (Hlint Craft Hall and requires carpenter's tools) with:

1 Hickory branch
      [/list]Choose to make sawdust.  You now have one or more hickory sawdusts (need two).  Go to Farmer's Press (Wild Surge Inn kitchen) with:

2 Hickory sawdust
        1 Filled water bucket (buy bucket from barman if needed)
        [/list]You (may) now have one raw hickory parchment.  Go to Baker's Oven (Wild Surge Inn kitchen) with:

1 Raw hickory parchment
          [/list]You (may) now have one blank hickory scroll.  Go to Baker's Oven (Wild Surge Inn kitchen) with:

1 Blank hickory scroll
            3 Bits of sand
            1 Gum arabic
            [/list]You (may) now have one hickory sandpaper.  Go to Carpenter's Bench (Hlint Craft Hall and requires carpenter's tools) with:

1 Hickory branch
              1 Hickory sandpaper
              [/list]Choose to make hickory shafts.  You (may) now have two hickory shafts.  Go to Gem Grinding & Smashing station (Hlint Craft Hall and requires gem crafter's tools and equipped gem crafter's chisel) with:

1 Mineral malachite
                [/list]You now have 1-4 dusts of malachite.  Go to Alchemist's Bench (Moraken's Tower) with:

1 White Mushroom
                  1 Dust of Malachite
                  1 Empty Flask
                  [/list]You (may) now have one gem polishing oil (need five).  Go to Gem Cutting Stone (Hlint Craft Hall and requires gem crafter's tools and equipped gem crafter's chisel) with:

1 Mineral greenstone
                    [/list]You (may) now have some cut greenstone.  Go to Gem Cutting Stone (Hlint Craft Hall and requires gem crafter's tools and equipped gem crafter's chisel) with:

1 Mineral amethyst
                      [/list]You (may) now have some cut amethyst (need four).  Go to Gem Detailing station (Hlint Craft Hall and requires gem crafter's tools) with:

1 Cut greenstone
                        1 Gem polishing oil
                        [/list]You (may) now have one fine greenstone.  Go to Gem Detailing station (Hlint Craft Hall and requires gem crafter's tools) with:

1 Cut amethyst
                          1 Gem polishing oil
                          [/list]You (may) now have one fine amethyst (need four).  Go to Enchanting Altar (Moraken's Tower) with:

1 Enchanting Oil
                            1 Fine Greenstone
                            [/list]You (may) now have one enchanted greenstone.  Go to Infusing Minor Table (Moraken's Tower) with:

3   Spell(s) of Acid Splash (memorized)
                              1   Fine Amethyst
                              [/list]You (may) now have one gem of acid splash (need four).  Go to Infusing Minor table (Moraken's Tower) with:

1 Shaft of Hickory
                                3   Spell(s) of Acid Splash (memorized)
                                1   Enchanted Greenstone
                                4   Gem of Acid Splash
                                [/list]You (may) now have one crafted wand of acid splash.  The full recipe, if making virtually everything yourself, requires Infusing, Enchanting, Alchemy, Cooking, Wood Crafting, and Gem Crafting skills.  This illustrates why buying certain raw and intermediate materials from other crafters may be a really, really good idea.  :)

Faldred

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 10:54:09 am »
How to make copper chainmail  Collect:
    7 Nuggets of copper
    4 Cotton
    [/list] Go to Tailor's Table (Craft Hall and requires sewing kit and equipped tailor's needle) with:

2 Cotton
      [/list]You (may) now have one bolt of cloth (need two).  Go to Tailor's Table (Craft Hall and requires sewing kit and equipped tailor's needle) with:

2 Bolts of cloth
        1 Book of patterns (will be returned)
        [/list]You (may) now have one chainmail pattern.  Go to Public Forge (Smithy or Craft Hall) with:

1 Nugget of copper
          [/list]You (may) now have one ingot of copper (requires seven).  Go to Armor Crafting Anvil (Smithy and requires quipped smith's hammer) with:

1 Chainmail pattern
            7 Ingots of copper
            [/list]You (may) now have one suit of copper chainmail.

silverblades

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 12:38:49 pm »
I hate to be the bad guy here but you guys make it sound Soo easy ..everyone forgot to mention that the crafters badge is 1500 True, and it takes a new player awhile to save that kind of money. Oh and a strong ox is another 100 as well. then theres the price for all the tools you break and supplies you need while mining sewing tinkering cutting and sawing and infusing and tanning.

Excellent recipies though. Very detailed just like betty crocker. I like the "(may) have" X item. lol
There can be only One.

Tanman

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 02:57:03 pm »
I think the prices vary. i bought a Badge for 700 true and ox for 80 true. Which character were you using?

joaoluc

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 04:45:20 am »
I also got the ox for 80 true using persuade.

Faldred

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 04:58:35 am »
silverblades - 1/14/2007  3:38 PM

I hate to be the bad guy here but you guys make it sound Soo easy ..everyone forgot to mention that the crafters badge is 1500 True, and it takes a new player awhile to save that kind of money. Oh and a strong ox is another 100 as well. then theres the price for all the tools you break and supplies you need while mining sewing tinkering cutting and sawing and infusing and tanning.

Oh, that's certainly true... crafting is not for the faint of heart or light of pocketbook.  If you only want to "dabble", it might be best to do so after you've saved up quite a bit.

Excellent recipies though. Very detailed just like betty crocker. I like the "(may) have" X item. lol

Just that constant reminder that one failure, and you lose everything.  :)

vgn

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 12:14:30 pm »
As has been stated, crafting is not cheap. After much time and money, sometimes you can end up making some money off of it. It really is more of a "thing to do" rather than a way to make any money and this thing like many, costs money.

Having said that, I'll drop another basic crafting hint:
Just because your character starts the game in Hlint, does not mean he has to or even should do his or her shopping in Hlint.

Hellblazer

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 03:37:11 pm »
I'm sure a lot of new player has fond this nifty, but didn't see any thanks to it so here it comes (even if I'm not a new player here)

Thanks to everyone taking the time to write these things up.

Nagash von Ritter

• Followers of Corath
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 08:04:36 am »
Quote from: Tanman
I think the prices vary. i bought a Badge for 700 true and ox for 80 true. Which character were you using?

I had some ranks in appraise and 12 chr, I got mine for 500. I made a character with a higher charisma, intelligence and wisdom, despite being a mage my aim was for a character with a force of personality, I think though that the abilities all stack for certain things such as enchanting? I have 25% chance on some higher up enchanting things and I havn't even started trying yet hrmz.

anything