The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Counterfeit mahogany bow  (Read 200 times)

Stranzini

Counterfeit mahogany bow
« on: March 25, 2006, 07:04:29 am »
Here's a fun item idea.

Counterfeit Mahogany Bow

ingredients:
one hickory bow
one bottle walnut oil

The item produced shows the item description of a mahogany bow but has the actual stats of a hickory bow.

Crafting the item automatically lowers the crafters alignment one point towards chaotic.

It should be craftable in the basic crafting hall, in order to be tempting to unscrupulous and desperate crafters...

Identify (spell, scroll or sufficient lore skill) will indicate that it is a counterfeit. The difficulty for the identify should be that of the mahogany bow - if you know a real one, you can detect that this is not one - or perhaps slightly above - if you really know your bows you will be able to see the fake even though it is a good one.

Counterfeiting goods is a criminal offense. The player who is sold a counterfeit and detects it has the option to contact the authorities to bring the counterfeiter to justice. The player who sells a counterfeit he did not craft, if pursued in justice, will nonetheless need to produce proof or persuasion to show his innocence or may suffer a penalty. The crafter, if caught and if pursued in justice, will likely pay some penalty.

Character development potential for starving crafters who need to buy medicine for their ailing children. Role play potential for bilked players and all hands...

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Counterfeit mahogany bow
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 08:26:19 am »
... that ~is~ an interesting idea...

Leanthar

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 08:28:01 am »
That is a neat idea.... I can see it being abused, but if we have the other systems in place this would be pretty cool.

Dorganath

RE: Counterfeit mahogany bow
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 08:35:18 am »
THe automatic shift to Chaotic is a bit much...that can definitely be abused, and we take alighnment shifts quite seriously here.
  Other than that, it opens some interesting possibilities.

Leanthar

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 08:37:16 am »
*nods* agreed on any shifting of alignments, but the idea is cool.... I know orth has some ideas of counterfit papers and such...but we need a court system in place and a way of proving things (somehow). The RP would be cool, but the possible abuse is pretty big as well.

Blackguy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 09:13:23 am »
Gotak was actually being acused of making counterfeit weapon in a CDQ once. Didnt turn me toward chaotic or anything, or did it :D A unrelated question to L, how many courtsessions have you had beside mine?

Leanthar

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:41:31 am »
@blackguy, half dozen or so over the years... not many. But I think it is mainly due to a lack of time by the GM team and RL etc.